• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-27T17:46:57Z by seroyer
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1743 Posts

Pinned topic VET code is not enabling PowerVM features

‏2013-02-27T10:36:05Z |
Hi,

We have PowerVM express license and entering that code through ASMI by going to On Demand Utilities --> CoD Activation, accepts the entered VET code BUT it does NOT enable VET capability settings, "RPA I/O Hosting" and "Subprocessor partitioning". Those values still remain as "False"

Anyone has any idea / clue on this?
Thank you in advanced.
Updated on 2013-02-27T17:46:57Z at 2013-02-27T17:46:57Z by seroyer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

Re: VET code is not enabling PowerVM features

‏2013-02-27T11:53:48Z  
    Hi,

Could it be related with the firmware level of your hardware? May be it is not supported

Or the HMC level, etc?

Regards
    Ekrem
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-27T14:43:47Z  
    Hi,

Could it be related with the firmware level of your hardware? May be it is not supported

Or the HMC level, etc?

Regards
    Ekrem
    PowerVM Express is a special mode - I/O Hosting and sub-processor partitioning won't show as enabled.

Express allows you to do the following:

1) Install a VIOS in LPAR 1 (no need to create the VIOS - just boot to the media and it will create itself)
    2) Using IVM, create an additional 2 lpars in LPAR IDs 2 and 3 that use sub-processor partitioning.
    3) You can create additional partitions, but they cannot use sub-processor partitioning or shared (vscsi) I/O.

Since Express doesn't allow general use of I/O Hosting or Sub-Processor partitioning, those fields won't show as enabled.

For instructions on how to use this - see the pubs for installing IVM.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-27T16:03:27Z  
    PowerVM Express is a special mode - I/O Hosting and sub-processor partitioning won't show as enabled.

1) Install a VIOS in LPAR 1 (no need to create the VIOS - just boot to the media and it will create itself)
    2) Using IVM, create an additional 2 lpars in LPAR IDs 2 and 3 that use sub-processor partitioning.
    3) You can create additional partitions, but they cannot use sub-processor partitioning or shared (vscsi) I/O.

Since Express doesn't allow general use of I/O Hosting or Sub-Processor partitioning, those fields won't show as enabled.

Hi,

I installed VIOS using installation media and it installed successfully. Once installation is finished and system is rebooted, it gave a following error.

I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted
    EXIT called ok
    0 >
    Do you have any idea on what has gone wrong here? Note that I installed it to local SAS disk.

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-27T17:43:52Z  

Hi,

Another thing that I just want to know..

Is there any limitations for PowerVM Express in terms of number of physical processor cores AND/OR maximum amount of memory that can be used?
    Thanks
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2013-02-27T17:46:16Z  
    Hi,

I installed VIOS using installation media and it installed successfully. Once installation is finished and system is rebooted, it gave a following error.

I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted
    EXIT called ok
    0 >
    Do you have any idea on what has gone wrong here? Note that I installed it to local SAS disk.

Thanks
    That means that either you have connected an HMC to the system, or that system does not support PowerVM Express. You cannot use PowerVM Express when the system is HMC managed.

Steve
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2013-02-27T17:46:57Z  
    Hi,

Another thing that I just want to know..

Is there any limitations for PowerVM Express in terms of number of physical processor cores AND/OR maximum amount of memory that can be used?
    Thanks
    No limitations on number cores or amount of memory. You are limited to 2 shared processor client partitions, but they can have as many cores as you like.