9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-21T13:33:49Z by Rocky_01
Rocky_01
Rocky_01
30 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Catalog Rollback

‏2013-02-27T09:49:58Z |
Hi,

We have populated some wrong data in a Catalog. To eradicate those data we have written a script, But at the same time we got an option in Catalog Console for Rollback.

Just wanted to confirm, can anybody suggest us the better way for eradicating the wrong data from catalog ?

Also, what are the pros and cons of Catalog Rollback feature ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rocky
Updated on 2013-03-21T13:33:49Z at 2013-03-21T13:33:49Z by Rocky_01
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Catalog Rollback

‏2013-02-27T10:06:57Z  in response to Rocky_01
    Hi Rocky,

At first, catalog versions (at which you can rollback) are created via import/export or manualy. So if you have not used this functionalities you will be able to rollback into an empty catalog only.
    I used RollBack options only in a test environment, when there were a lot of experiments with data. I have no idea how to use the rollback function in a productive environment (for example we want to rollback a catalog and what to do with items were transfered to downstream systems)
    • Rocky_01
      Rocky_01
      30 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T10:54:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

We took the help of import job for importing the wrong data files. Also in the catalog rollback section we found following options in the drop down:

Catalog upload to Database from file on <Date & Time>
      Manual changes to Catalog On <Date and Time>
      Catalog Export<Export Name> on <Date and Time>
      etc...

Do you think it will be an wiser approach to rollback the catalog to a particular instance ? as these instances are being created in a 5 minute interval..
      Thanks ,
      Rocky
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        648 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T12:16:49Z  in response to Rocky_01
        Hi Rocky,

If I understood you correctly you had imported the wrong data and now wanna delete it, don't you?
        If you didn't create/modify any items in the catalog after the wrong import, I think, it will be OK to rollback (of course you have to create a DB backup before rollbacking). Choose a right version and make a rollback.
        • Rocky_01
          Rocky_01
          30 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T12:49:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Alex,

Yes, you are right. We have imported some wrong data into the catalog.
          Thanks for your suggestion, we will find out the correct version before performing any rollback on the Catalog. Also, regarding the db backup, do we need to take the whole db backup(through AIX Box) or backup of some specific table could help us ? Please assist....

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
          Rocky
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            648 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T12:56:33Z  in response to Rocky_01
            Rocky,

Only whole db backup will save you if some goes wrong
  • KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-13T21:40:24Z  in response to Rocky_01
    I assume that the bad data is item data only. If that is the case, then you can use catalog rollback, its fine. If you are afraid that something might go wrong, then ask your DBA to create a copy of ITM, ITA, ITD and ITX tables(ITX is only needed if you are on version 10.0.0.0 FP1 and later). lets say you copy ITM into itm7 table and as so on. Then rollback the catalog. If something goes wrong, then you can copy ITM7 into ITM and you will have the save data that you had in the beginning of rollback.

But rollbacks are pretty safe and the only issues may be of newly added data since the import.
  • KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-13T21:46:17Z  in response to Rocky_01
    On second thought if you have been actively working with collaboration area, then along with item tables, it will probably be best to copy the following tables as well(for restoration later): cem, cae, ceh, icm, and cel.
    • KaranBal
      KaranBal
      108 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T03:35:07Z  in response to KaranBal
      I have been informed by sources much more knowledgeable than me that since this is an active environment, we can not be sure whether there were category(hierarchy changes) or not. SO THE BEST OPTION IS TO JUST HAVE A COPY OF THE WHOLE DATABASE and rest easy.
      • Rocky_01
        Rocky_01
        30 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-21T13:33:49Z  in response to KaranBal
        Hi Karan,

Sorry for the delay in response.
        Thanks a lot for the detailed description. I was not aware of all these associated tables.

Thanks again :)

-Rocky