Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-27T14:49:41Z by Jim Sharpe
Jim Sharpe
Jim Sharpe
98 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to create new native thread?

‏2013-02-27T01:09:56Z |
I've started seeing errors from Streams Studio when launching jobs saying "Unable to create new native thread". It doesn't seem to be related to any job in particular but rather the total number of things running since if I launch the jobs in a different order different ones work and fail. It happens in separate environments both on 3.0 plain and with FP1. I've already bumped up the memory settings in SreamsStudio.ini and have looked around for any Streams specific thread settings but didn't find anything obvious. Are there OS related thread settings I might need to increase? I'm a bit surprised if it is some kind of limit that I'm hitting it so soon since it occurs with only a few dozen standard SPL operators in roughly a half dozen jobs. Any tips on things to look at to track this down would be greatly appreciated.
    • Jim Sharpe
      Jim Sharpe
      98 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to create new native thread?

‏2013-02-27T13:26:25Z  in response to hnasgaard
      Hi Howard,

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm confident this is the issue and am marking the question answered. I'm not sure why I didn't find that obvious entry in the logical place in the documentation ( I was searching for things like "thread"), but thanks very much for the pointer. As a suggestion for future versions, it might be helpful if the dependency checker took a look at these settings and issued a warning if they were too low.
      • DennyHatz
        DennyHatz
        102 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T14:04:12Z  in response to Jim Sharpe
        If you are running on the Streams Version 3.0 The ulimit settings are listed and checked when an instance is started and WARNINGS are placed in the boot log. (streamtool viewlog -i yourinstance --service boot)
        • Jim Sharpe
          Jim Sharpe
          98 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T14:49:41Z  in response to DennyHatz
          Sure enough. I just set them back to the lower values and restarted the instance and there was the warning shouting out at me. Since the instance had been starting fine and the (initial) jobs running without issue I didn't think to look at the boot log (only the logs for the jobs that failed). I don't suppose there is any way to get warnings like this to show up in the StreamsStudio console when the instance is started?