• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-04T10:26:04Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47283 Posts

Pinned topic CCRC & local testing

‏2013-02-26T15:35:20Z |
Hi,

I'm interested in common practices when testing must take place at the location at which CCRC is in use.

If it is necessary to port the whole VOB across the network to the remote location, why would anyone use CCRC rather than just multisite, which is a much more robust means of maintaining VOBS and up to date code versions at remote locations?

BF
  • pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    189 Posts

Re: CCRC & local testing

‏2013-02-27T13:36:06Z  
    Hi,

There are some advantages and disadvantages for both.

In case of multisite, you need to replicate entire VOB(s) and support infrastructure at remote location. The location should be trusted and protected. This approach would also require full client installation on the test machines.

CCRC is more lightweight approach. First of all, you would load versions selected by view config spec and load rules only, and it is not entire VOB. You can control what is allowed to be loaded from the VOB/CCRC server. Your test machines can be located behind a firewall and connect to the CCRC server via http/https protocol. Finally, it does not require full client installation and no administrative or root access is required too. You can also create small portable rcleartool distribution for command line access (which takes about 18 MB only). There is also no need to sync user/group credentials with your ClearCase servers.

Pavel
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2013-02-27T14:01:40Z  
    Hi,

There are some advantages and disadvantages for both.

In case of multisite, you need to replicate entire VOB(s) and support infrastructure at remote location. The location should be trusted and protected. This approach would also require full client installation on the test machines.

CCRC is more lightweight approach. First of all, you would load versions selected by view config spec and load rules only, and it is not entire VOB. You can control what is allowed to be loaded from the VOB/CCRC server. Your test machines can be located behind a firewall and connect to the CCRC server via http/https protocol. Finally, it does not require full client installation and no administrative or root access is required too. You can also create small portable rcleartool distribution for command line access (which takes about 18 MB only). There is also no need to sync user/group credentials with your ClearCase servers.

Pavel
    Hi Pavel,

thanks for the response.

I'm familiar with the differences between the products. We are looking at moving one of our remote locations from m/s to CCRC, but have hit on the rather unusual requirement of teh CCRC users to download the whole VOB to each desktop.

From a logical perspective this seems perverse, as if we really do require many copies of the vob at that location, spread around the desktops, then why would we not stay with m/s!!

So trying to get a view as to whether this is normal practice with CCRC?

BF
  • pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    189 Posts

‏2013-02-27T15:36:14Z  
    Hi Pavel,

thanks for the response.

I'm familiar with the differences between the products. We are looking at moving one of our remote locations from m/s to CCRC, but have hit on the rather unusual requirement of teh CCRC users to download the whole VOB to each desktop.

From a logical perspective this seems perverse, as if we really do require many copies of the vob at that location, spread around the desktops, then why would we not stay with m/s!!

So trying to get a view as to whether this is normal practice with CCRC?

BF
    Hi,

It depends on size of the VOB, but I would not say that there is some kind of "normal practice".
    Again, loading "entire" VOB in CCRC is not an entire VOB - it is just a subset of it, one version from entire version tree of each element. Depending on the size of the VOB and number of elements it might be acceptable. Nevertheless, limiting what is loaded would significantly reduce time for update operation.

ClearCase 8 would work give you some performance advantages, and you can also consider using application accelerator.

Pavel
  • brcowan
    brcowan
    763 Posts

‏2013-02-28T16:47:06Z  
    I think it would really depend on what you mean by "local testing." Generally speaking, someone testing a given program may not need access to all the source for that program.

Whether CCRC is a good idea would also depend on how secure the remote users are. If you're talking about unencrypted laptops, is it really that good an idea to have all those copies of your source code out there exposed if someone leaves the laptop behind? Having recently had an android tablet "walk away" from my office (which was thankfully in the building long enough to respond to the Lotus Traveler "factory reset" command), this possibility is quite real to me. And I'm a convert to the religion of device encryption on android.

=================================================================
    Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436
    Web: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2013-03-04T10:26:04Z  
    • brcowan
    • ‏2013-02-28T16:47:06Z
    I think it would really depend on what you mean by "local testing." Generally speaking, someone testing a given program may not need access to all the source for that program.

Whether CCRC is a good idea would also depend on how secure the remote users are. If you're talking about unencrypted laptops, is it really that good an idea to have all those copies of your source code out there exposed if someone leaves the laptop behind? Having recently had an android tablet "walk away" from my office (which was thankfully in the building long enough to respond to the Lotus Traveler "factory reset" command), this possibility is quite real to me. And I'm a convert to the religion of device encryption on android.

=================================================================
    Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436
    Web: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/
    Brian,

thanks for responding.

Firstly, thankfully, the issue of walking laptops is somewhat mitigated by all the kit being desktops.

There's really two things going on here. We are looking at CCRC at a remote location, as an alternative to existing multisite setup, and the response of 'normal' activities (checkin/checkout etc)looks fine.

But we understand from the users at that location that each developer requires the full VOB on each desktop, and that this will take many hours to download, and several minutes every day to 'refresh' if we move to CCRC.

Now having been involved on and off with CC for many years, I really just don't get why this is necessary (it appears that it is also normal practice with their existing multi site set up), and thus wondering whether anyone out there recognises any reasons why this would be a useful working practice?

BF