7 replies Latest Post - ‏2015-04-15T18:50:01Z by nigendasoft
Berniebgbb
Berniebgbb
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM EN4093 --> LACP (Etherchannel) --> Cisco 4506 chassis

‏2013-02-23T09:32:30Z |
Hi All,

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I am not a network person and am trying to work with a Cisco resource to get LACP working between a Flex Chassis (2 x EN4093) to a Cisco Catalyst 4506.

The Cisco resource has setup Ports on the 4506 chassis for Ether channel, Trunking Enabled and Tagging Enabled for VLAN's 1, 200, 300 (VLAN 1 Default..)
On the EN4093's I have done the following

1. Enabled VLAN Tagging on the EXT 7,8,9,10 (They are connected and active)
2. Enabled VLAN tagging on the INT ports that will be passing Tagged traffic.
2. Enabled LACP (Active) on the EXT 7,8,9,10.

From what I have read in the manual, with the EN4093 you do not configure both LACP and trunking like you do on the Cisco side.....So only LACP is active with VLAN tagging for 1, 200, 300.

So What I see is as follows.

1. "Non Tagged" traffic from the EN4093 working OK
2. Any "Tagged" traffic from the EN4093 is not working.

Not sure if this is enough info for assistance, as I said I am not a network resource (just trying to sort this out) so I may have missed something simple.
I'll see if I can provide more info during the week.

Any info, even the simplest of idea's would be appreciated. We have just started working on this, so hoping I can cut straight to the correct configuration quickly.

regards

Bernie.
Updated on 2013-03-01T05:43:02Z at 2013-03-01T05:43:02Z by Berniebgbb
  • SlowinskiS
    SlowinskiS
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM EN4093 --> LACP (Etherchannel) --> Cisco 4506 chassis

‏2013-02-25T07:46:09Z  in response to Berniebgbb
    Hi ,
    Did they set channel-group ACTIVE on cisco?

Can you please run command :
    show lacp info?
    1. if you are not using "iscli " command line please enable it so your cisco guys will be able to help you with configuration:
    to run this mode please :
    login via cli,
    type:boot/prompt ena
    then exit ,login again and choose iscli
    Regards,Slawek
    • Berniebgbb
      Berniebgbb
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-25T09:33:14Z  in response to SlowinskiS
      Hi SlowinskiS.

Yes the channel groups is active, and when we check the Etherchannel it is "Up".
      The LACP ports on the EN4093 switches are set to Passive mode, and the connections look to be OK when we query the Ether-channel on the Cisco Side.

We are just not sure if or how to configure the IBM switches for the VLAN's, obviously creating and assigning the VLAN's is not a problem...but there is something we are missing..

Bernie.
      • SlowinskiS
        SlowinskiS
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-25T11:03:16Z  in response to Berniebgbb
        Ok..
        Can you please share output from :
        isCLI: show int info
        or
        bosCLI: /info/port

Thanks

Regards,Slawek
        • SlowinskiS
          SlowinskiS
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-25T11:04:18Z  in response to SlowinskiS
          and also :
          isCLI: show vlan
          or
          bosCLI: /info/l2/vlan
          Regards,Slawek
  • Berniebgbb
    Berniebgbb
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T05:43:02Z  in response to Berniebgbb
    • RESOLVED --

Main issue is that the VLAN properties in the GUI are used to assign "VLAN's to Ports" when actually with respect to setting up trunking you need to "add ports to the VLAN's" via the CLI.
    So to get this working we dropped using LACP and went to straight trunking....

The following steps were performed, NOTE: use your own specific port numbers..

The following is presented in a way consistent with their switch documentation. The menu is hierarchical, use ‘/’ to return to the top, and ‘..’ to return to the menu above.

/cfg/port EXT7/en represents going to the cfg menu, then port EXT7 menu, then running the en command. That is, entering ‘cfg’ followed by RETURN, then ‘port EXT7’ followed by return, and then entering ‘en’ followed by return.

1. Enable VLAN tagging on internal and external ports.
    a. /cfg/port INTA1/tag ena
    b. Repeat for each internal and external port
    2. Create the applicable VLANs and optionally define tagged VLAN membership
    a. /cfg/l2/vlan 200/name VLAN0200
    b. /cfg/l2/def INTA1-INTA4 EXT7-EXT10
    c. /cfg/l2/vlan/ena
    3. Define the port VLAN ID (untagged VLAN) on each port (default is 1)
    a. /cfg/port INTA1/pvid 100 (sets PVID/untagged VLAN to 100)
    b. NOTE: VMware vSwitch port group for this VLAN will need to be set as Untagged (0).
    4. Static ‘trunking’ – NOTE: trunking is defined by IBM as being link aggregation, not VLAN tagging as per Cisco’s definition
    a. /cfg/l2/trunk 1
    b. /cfg/l2/trunk 1/add EXT7
    c. /cfg/l2/trunk 1/add EXT8
    d. /cfg/l2/trunk 1/add EXT9
    e. /cfg/l2/trunk 1/add EXT10
    f. /cfg/l2/trunk 1/en

Once configuration changes are made, run ‘apply’ for them to take effect and ‘save’ to save to Flash.

Restoring Factory Defaults

1. Apply and save any unapplied and unsaved configuration changes
    a. Apply
    b. Save
    2. /boot/conf factory
    3. Apply
    4. Save
    5. Reset (from the /boot menu)

Cisco side then needs to be set up for static EtherChannel with the correct untagged VLAN (native VLAN in Cisco parlance) and tagged VLANs assigned (via allowed VLAN list, if used). On some switch platforms, dot1q needs to be specified as trunk encapsulation.

Thanks to Josh for working this out...

regards

Bernie
    • MariusLu
      MariusLu
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-11T15:15:42Z  in response to Berniebgbb

Hi,

we are current experiencing a similar problem. Our Cisco WS-4506 shuts the ports of our FlexSystem down (secure down) as soon as the ports are activated on the EN4093. Our IOS version is "cat4000-i9s-mz.122-24.EWA13", our EN4093 has firmware 7.7.5 installed. Did you by chance experience a similar problem? 

Best Regards,

Marius

• nigendasoft
      nigendasoft
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2015-04-15T18:50:01Z  in response to Berniebgbb

hola, espero alguien pueda ayudarme, tengo un switch modelo EN4093R, tengo muchasa dudas sobre como instalare las maquinas virtuales, pero el problema en este momento es el siguiente. Tengo conectado el puerto Ext1 a un switch cisco 3750, ambos puertos, el GE 1/0/4 del cisco 3750 y el ext1 del IBM estan configurados como troncales. tengo instaladas 7 navajas. las navajas de encuentran en la vlan99 pero no las puedo alcanzar. espero puedan ayudarme

-----

Hello , I hope someone can help me , I have a model switch EN4093R , I have doubts about how muchasa be installing virtual machines , but the problem now is the following . I have Ext1 port connected to a cisco 3750 switch , both ports, the GE 1/0/4 of cisco 3750 and IBM ext1 are configured as trunk . I installed seven knives. knives in the VLAN99 but can not achieve. I hope you can help me