Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-29T16:48:33Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3234 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic how I have made my bladeCenter S (8886 model) works / VSphere 5.1.

‏2013-02-23T01:26:10Z |
reading this forums for a while, I have been very surprised by the bad performance of the configuration tools provided with Bladecenter S.
I feel like I should explain how I have made my bladeCenter S (8886 model) works, because it seem that every generation of this product have the same drawback with firmware(s), but not the same solutions.

First SNA (Start Now Advisor) is a real mess, it does not works. I was not able to use it for nothing. except maybe for setting IP address, but I have done this task with a DHCP.

So my advice (as of fev 2013) is Do not use SNA.

Set up ip adresse with DHCP
login at <your bladecenter AMM IP> to set all the IP address for your different modules.
I got 2 RAID ctlr, with BBU, 2 Ethernets Switchs, 6 HDD 300G 15k rpm + 6 HDD 2.7T 7200 rpm. and of course an AMM (advanced module management), and some HS23 bladeservers.

vérify if there is no error or alert for your SAS RAID ctlr
telnet <SAS ctlr IP1>
user:USERID pass;PASSW0RD
alert -get

mine was not reconizing HDD because of firmware incompatibility.
so an firmware upgrade is required for the RAID SAS ctlr to reconize firmware HDD.

To do so I have used ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.4.011_linux_noarch.
For me, neither windows version nor scm version did works, but I have manager the linux version to upgrade using a centos 6 machine with basic install (do not work with debian nor ubuntu), it could be different for you but you have to manage to upgrade.

follow the steps in the read me with lot of attention.
you need to put yours RAID ctlr in service mode using telnet

telnet <SAS CTLR IP1>
user:USERID pass:PASSW0RD
shutdown -system -state servicemode

then login your linux
bash ./ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.4.011_linux_noarch.sh -i <SAS CTLR IP1> -n

if you have set different password than default you need to append
-passwd <yourpass> -sas_p1 <yourpass> -sas_p2 <yourpass> -ftx_pwd <yourpass>

do it again for the other controller using the second address of <SAS CTLR IP2>
telnet to switch again in service mode and then relaunch
bash ./ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.4.011_linux_noarch.sh -i <SAS CTLR IP2> -n
if everything when good you should have ALL your disk reconized, you can now manually create your pool and volume.
may be some other errors persist, but you can live with.

telnet <SAS CTLR IP1>
user:USERID pass:PASSW0RD
create pool -drives 1:2 ... 1:5 -raidtype 5 -port 0 -name POOLNAME
local spare -pool POOLNAME -add -slot 1:6
create volume -name POOLNAME:volumename -size 100%

adapt POOLNAME and volumename and raidtype to your need and disks quantity.
it take days if you have big size for volume and/or slow disk.

then prepare your bladeservers, loging to bladecenter AMM IP with a browser,
goto blade task/ remote control --> start remote control
install your ESXi from CD,
set a local RAID if you have localdisks on your bladeserver using ctlr+c just after <F1><F2><F12> disappear from BIOS/EFI screen, or press F2 then exit, then ctrl+c

install ESXi, then set up network to use an IPADDRESS and change network card to use vmnic2 or vmnic3 because on these blade (HS23) the first two nics have no physical links.

when your done you have to map your local storage to your bladeservers, for that I have used "ibm storage configuration manager Version 2.20.0" be carefull of version num because older versions can not reconize new firmware.
install, start server, login to https://localhost:32101 goto "BC-S SAS RAID Module" add an host in putting an IP address of one of your RAID controller
then goto "BC-S SAS RAID Module" -> configuration -> storage -> <tab>=Host then map volumes.
you need "ibm storage configuration manager" just for that.
so now you can install an vmware-client and connect to yours bladeservers and configure them to use your storage from your workstation.
any constructive comments are welcome as well as experiences sharing to help build a bladecenter_S system with esxi/vsphere 5.1.

Dominix
greetings from Tahiti / french polynesia
echo qbzvavk@znvy.cs | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
Updated on 2013-03-29T16:48:33Z at 2013-03-29T16:48:33Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: how I have made my bladeCenter S (8886 model) works / VSphere 5.1.

‏2013-03-15T07:29:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

I saw you are using blade HS23.

However, from the whitepaer, I find this blade is not in SNA 2.2.0 support list yet...

below is SNA homepage:
    http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-SNA
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-18T02:55:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    How is the HS23 configured. Are you using any daughter or SAS expansion cards in the blade server and if so what part number is it?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-18T14:22:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    HS23s are not supported in the current revision of SNA. SNA is pretty much useless in it's current state. It does not support any CIOv cards. Only blades using the CFFv cards will work. Also, if your AMM is on any firmware revision in the 62 range it will break SNA.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-21T16:58:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Dominix,

at the moment i'm testing a BC-S with VSphere 5.1 too. The initial setup i started with
    one SAS RAID Module , one BBU, two Nortel-Swiches and two HS23's. Setting up ESX and vCenter
    and so on works fine. I configured and tested fail-over-network connections, VLAN-Support, vMotion
    etc ... it all works.

Now i added a second SAS RAID Module ... both controllers are online an in "primary / secondary-mode"
    but in vCenter -> Blade1-Host -> Configuration -> Storage/Datastore -> "Manage Paths" (on the right side)

.. the next windows shows me only "one" path or controller :-/ ... is it correct? How does it look in your
    config? I'm not sure if the bcs-chassis / backplane managing the multipath-io to the controllers and "shows"
    only one path to vmware? Or should vmware "see" and managing both raid-controller on its own? And if yes,
    why i can't see the second path in the attached window?

I read some manuals for "Multipath Configuration settings for the VMware setup" but there is only one storage-
    path. In SCM and in telnet to the controller everything looks fine.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      3234 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-21T17:40:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Based off what I have seen, you will only see the one controller and a single path. Pathing from what I know with these modules happens at the hardware layer.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        3234 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-21T20:01:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Check these instructions:

VMware ESX instructions for IBM Blade SAS RAID (RSSM) shared storage config
        http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1013000

Proper multipath settings for VMware and the RSSM module (43W3584) - IBM BladeCenter S
        http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5081899
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          3234 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-21T20:05:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          There are all docs about RSSMs

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5078491

Esp. the SAS RAID Module Host systems Attachment Guide ...
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            3234 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-29T16:48:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi Tomas,

you're definitely right. I have to see the two controllers as two paths in vSphere-Client
            as shown in the documents above (HostSystemsAttachementGuide2-00d9320). I forgot the following steps
            descriped in chapter 4 "Upgrading from a single to a dual controller configuration":

At the<CLI>prompt, enterhost –add <WWN>and press Enter to add the host
            WWN to the list of host.
            <CLI> host -add 500062b00007e569
            Host added with WWN 500062b00007e569 and Name CliHost1

HostWWN 500062b00007e569, HostName CliHost1 :
            No LUNs Mapped
            10. At the<CLI>prompt, enterhostlun –map –volume <POOLNAME:VOLNAME>
            -PERMISSION <RW> -wwn <WWN> -name <HOSTNAME> -lun <LUNNUMBER>and press
            26 IBM SAS RAID Controller Module: Installation and User's Guide
            Enter to map the host to the LUNs using the WWN of the host port . The
            LUN, volume number, and permissions must be the same.
            <CLI> hostlun -map -volume Raid10_Pool:r10_vol_1 -permission
            Thanks a lot for your answers !!!!