Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-15T22:34:42Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
23 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Deploying a Virtual Appliance to SmartCloud Enterprise

‏2013-02-22T20:54:54Z |
I used the ICCT pre-release version on SmartCloud Enterprise to create a virtual appliance. The appliance synchronizes fine, but when I deploy an instance from it, the activation scripts never get run. I made the very first real line of the script an echo >../tmp/hello so I'd know if it got run. My scripts are there but don't get run. So I have two questions:

First, will creating an instance on SmartCloud Enterprise actually run the activation scripts, or is that not fully supported? I do get prompted for all my input fields but my script doesn't get called. My next question is moot if the answer is NO.

Second, is there some trick I need to do to make it work?

Thank you,
Updated on 2013-03-15T22:34:42Z at 2013-03-15T22:34:42Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    23 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Deploying a Virtual Appliance to SmartCloud Enterprise

‏2013-03-04T19:12:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I see lots of people who read this, but no answers. Is that because the question was unclear or is there simply no one who knows?

TIA,
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-04T21:26:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Robert.

Did you capture the image in ICCT? Once the Synchronization is done, a "Capture" button is enabled. You need to click and wait for the Capture process to finish. Once this is done you'll be able to see the new asset in your Instances in SCE (Go to Control Panel and Images tab). In there, you can create a new instance with the new image and will execute the script you specified in the Configuration of the bundle in ICCT.

One more thing, when you extended the base image, did you add the Enablement for SmartCloud bundle to run before your bundle? The order of the bundles is the execution order, so be careful.

Highly recommend you these two dW articles
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cloud/library/cl-bundlemanage1/
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cloud/library/cl-smartcloudsolution1/index.html?ca=drs-

Hope I made myself clear and more important, hope this helps you :-D.

23 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T22:34:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Sorry, it took me a while to respond to this. I was busy...

I've tried several times, and when I first add my bundle to the image, it appears after the one called "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.8" which I'll assume is the activation engine. It stays in that order until I synchronize. As soon as the synchronize ends, I go to look at my image and it has reversed the order, so my piece is first. I have no way to change that.

So I'm out of rabbits again (my hat is empty!)