Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-22T19:29:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
590 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Websphere for developers WAS 8.5 + Eclipse + JRE 7 ?

‏2013-02-22T18:16:11Z |
Hello everybody,

yesterday I have downloaded and installed Websphere for developers. I can now create Websphere 8.5 servers inside Eclipse. That's very handy !

However, so far, I have not been able to create a WAS 8.5 server that uses the JRE7. In the Wizard for the creation of a new server, I have to select the location where the WAS binaries are located. When I do that, Eclipse automatically detects the associated JRE (version 6) which is located in the same folder. But I can not change it ...

Should I download extra components? Am I trying to do something stupid? Or am I doing something erroneously?

I have already google'd a bit about my issue but to no avail. I'll keep searching for a solution but if any of you can help me, it will be very much appreciated :-)
Thanks in advance for your lights.

Kind regards,

Vincent
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Websphere for developers WAS 8.5 + Eclipse + JRE 7 ?

‏2013-02-22T18:26:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Vincent.

Here is a link to WAS 8.5 infocenter about Java SDK 7.
    http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/wsbroker/redirect?version=phil&product=was-nd-dist&topic=tins_installation_jdk7

Also you should notice that when creating a profile, you should use JDK 7 for it. Perform the following commands
    1. cd WAS_HOME\bin
    2. Run managesdk -setCommandDefault -sdkName 1.7_<arch>
    3. Run managesdk -setNewProfileDefault -sdkName 1.7_<arch>
    4. Create a new profile and start server

NOTE: <arch> = Architecture (32 or 64)

Hope this helps

590 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T18:28:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Forgot to mention this. If you already have a profile created, you can enable it to use JDK 7 (after installing it) with the following command:

WAS_DIR/bin/managesdk -enableProfile -sdkName 1.7_<arch> -profileName <Your_profile_name>

590 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T19:29:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thank you for your quick answer.

In the meantime, I've also found this article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/1209_hall/1209_hall.html, which at first sight seems quite similar to the link you sent me.

I'll try that and give you feedback.