Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-23T14:21:06Z by DanaDuffield
inovex
inovex
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic AppMigTool V2V on Eclipse Juno 4.2: Menu items are not visible?

‏2013-02-22T16:46:40Z |
Problem: The menu items of Application Migration Tool Version-to-Version are not available on (my) Eclipse Juno (4.2).

Environment:
WAS: Multiple versions installed: 6.0.2.29 and 8.0.0.5 (AppServer BASE + IHS + Plugins, WAS80: Usual stuff like Installer, profile migration etc.)
IDE: Eclipse Juno (Version: 4.2.1.v20120814-120134), running on standard JRE 1.6 (Xms768m, Xmx1024m)
AppMigTool: Anwendungsmigrationstool - Migration von WebSphere-Versionen, 3.5.1.v20121115_1555 (german, installed from Eclipse Marketplace)
Further plugins: BIRT + Web, XML, Java EE and OSGi Enterprise Development as mentioned in AppMigTool documentation (and some other like EGit etc.)

Everything is explicitly checked for being up-to-date as of today (Feb 22, 2013).

I tried to make the Software Analyzer menu items visible by switching to Java perspective and by using Eclipse: Window -> Customize Perspective..., but there is no entry for Software Analyzer at all in the box view with available command groups.

I also tried to fix WasMigTool installation by adding it from local HD (unzipped fresh download from IBM web site) via "Install new software...", but Eclipse tells me that all features are already installed.

What am I doing wrong?
How can I make the menu items visible so that I can start using them?

Any help and assistance is appreciated!

Regards,
Christian
Updated on 2013-02-23T14:21:06Z at 2013-02-23T14:21:06Z by DanaDuffield
  • DanaDuffield
    DanaDuffield
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: AppMigTool V2V on Eclipse Juno 4.2: Menu items are not visible?

‏2013-02-22T17:25:54Z  in response to inovex
    Hi,

There should be two ways of getting to the Software Analyzer support in the Java perspective:

In the PackageExplorer window right click on almost any project in the window. I haven't tried all project types but certainly Java projects, Web->war, Liberty server and Server projects work for me

From the menu select Run->Analysis... That should bring up the Software Analyzer configuration window where you should be able to configure a Rule set based on the WAS versions you are migrating from and to.

There shouldn't be anything to explicitly customize in the perspectives. If you open Customize Perspective->Command Groups Availability you should see "Software Analyser" in the list and checked already.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    • inovex
      inovex
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T17:50:11Z  in response to DanaDuffield
      Exactly that (menu item in "Run" menu or any Java EE project context menu, using "Java" perspective -- and command group for adding this to lets say the Java EE perspective where I would have expected these commands btw) is not available. Thats the problem at all.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T17:32:55Z  in response to inovex
    Good timing. This week we just saw the same problem using RTC on Juno 4.2.1. I found https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=390921 which indicates it will be fixed in Juno SR2. A team member installed the very latest Juno and it seemed to have the menu fix that was needed for RTC. Although the release is still Juno SR1, it had one 4.2.2 plugin. I have not tried the same configuration with the toolkit.

Cindy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T17:49:59Z  in response to inovex
    I might have been hasty to think your menu problem is the same as the one we just saw. Ours was with context menus in Juno 4.2.1. If you opened up Window > Customize Perspective, and then selected the "Command Groups Availability" tab and don't see software analyzer, that's probably something different. I will give it a try. By default, Analysis should be available from the Java and Java EE perspectives.

Cindy
    • inovex
      inovex
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T18:15:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      btw. I tried to "update" my Eclipse installation to the current 4.2.2 milestone (RC3 as of Jan 30, 2013) but that fails due to dependency problems: The Java EE 1.5.1 as of Dec 15, 2012 is not compatible with the 4.2.2 RC3 but requires 4.2.1 release.

The other one: Yes, I cannot see a "Software Analyzer" entry in the "customize perspective" dialogue, thus I cannot activate anything here.

Is it possible that there are special conflicts with other plugins or features? Actually I also have installed a decompiler and Java ME perspective. If this could be useful I would try to extract a complete config / plugin / feature report and post it here as an attachment.
      • DanaDuffield
        DanaDuffield
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T18:46:34Z  in response to inovex
        Hi,

I haven't seen this problem. For reference, my environment works fine at:
        Version: 4.2.1.v20120814-120134-9JF7BHVGFyMveli1uX6aTH0q-eAap6PAgOP5mO
        Build id: M20120914-1800

One concern, is this a typo?: "The Java EE 1.5.1 as of Dec 15, 2012 is not compatible with the 4.2.2 RC3 but requires 4.2.1 release." Does it also work with your current level of 4.2.x?
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          102 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T19:30:13Z  in response to DanaDuffield
          Hi,
          Are you using Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers? The very latest should have the correct version of Java EE built in and you shouldn't get dependency errors.

I tried:

Version: Juno Service Release 2
          Build id: 20130116-1801

I can see the Software Analyzer in the Window > Customize Perspective... > Command Groups Availability tab. I was able to enable Software Analysis for JPA and XML perspectives.

I went back to the Juno release we were having context menu issues with this week. It was

Version: Juno Service Release 1
          Build id: 20120920-0800

which is newer than your copy. I did not have any issues seeing the Software Analyzer or Analysis... menu items in this Juno either.

While I did enable German, I have a few other differences such as Windows 7 and I am not running a virtual system. I wouldn't expect those to affect it.

Cindy
          • inovex
            inovex
            5 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-23T10:14:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hm. Your Eclipse version info is really interesting. My Eclipse "info" splash box says:

Build id: 20121004-1855

That seems to differ from what is displayed in the more detailed info screens. Sorry for that -- usually the "more detailed" views give more exact info than the splash screens, but in this case its vice versa.

Thats even newer than your SR1...

I will try a fresh Eclipse Juno SR2 for Java EE Developers download and will pimp it with the required plugins/features/market-place items -- and than migrate my workspace. We will see what happens.

I will come back here and report the results asap.
            • inovex
              inovex
              5 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-23T13:26:01Z  in response to inovex
              OK, it works now: The menu entry is available in "Run" using "Java" perspective, and for switching on in other perspectives like "Java EE".

Now I simply should be able to either import my projects as needed, or simply open the old workspace. This however is still to be done.

There is only 1 remaining "merely cosmetic" issue: After installing the WebSphere-specific toolset stuff, the Eclipse "Progress" view has errors when it is displayed on startup of Eclipse. Nevertheless it seems to work, and after closing and reopening it no problems appear any more, but maybe someone should take a closer look at this.

When interested in details:

What I did:
              • I downloaded a fresh Eclipse for Java EE developers (based on Eclipse 4.2.1 / Juno SR1) since Juno SR2 should be available as M4 as of yesterday, but I could not find any download source -- found only M3. Maybe its available meanwhile
              • I updated everything after configuring the usual software sites, abd however some pieces were updated to 4.2.2, but not all.
              • I added EGit (2.3.0) from Marketplace. Should have been present already, but seemed not to be. Update everything...
              • I added BIRT and "Web + XML + Java EE + OSGi" stuff by "add new software" + updated everything afterwards. Additionally I added m2e.
              • I added IBM WebSphere Application Server v8.0 Developer Toolkit from Marketplace.
              • I added IBM WebSphere Application Server Migration Toolkit from Marketplace.
              Current version info is now:

General:

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.

Features:

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.
              Version: 1.5.1.20121004-1506

Eclipse Platform
              Version: 4.2.1.v20120814-120134-9JF7BHVGFyMveli1uX6aTH0q-eAap6PAgOP5mO
              Build id: M20120914-1800

EGit: 2.3.1.20130220

Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools
              Version: 4.2.2.v201301281649-ClBI9nGZcVSofEz-Xuz0n-ruJtUm
              Build id: v20130206-1509

WebSphere® Application Server V8.0 Tools
              Version: 8.5.1001.v20121206_1718

Anwendungsmigrationstool - Migration von WebSphere-Versionen (v2v + common features + JRE features)
              Version: 3.5.1.v20121115_1555
              Finally I think I should have nearly the same plugin/feature/version mix as in my old IDE setup (besides having JavaME there), and thus I cannot really understand whats wrong with my old environment.

However it does work now. Thus my question is not really answered, but my problem is solved :-)
              • DanaDuffield
                DanaDuffield
                11 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-23T14:21:06Z  in response to inovex
                Hi,

Thanks for the good news. Good to hear that you are up and running. It seems like building up the new image was the only real cure any of us could come up with, sorry there was no easier path.