Topic
12 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-16T17:04:02Z by kevmeist
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
270 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Debug Tool Connection error

‏2013-02-22T16:08:26Z |
I am trying to use the debug tool plug-in in CICS explorer. I set up the DTCN Server Profile (which shows up in explorer correctly), but when I try to execute the transaction it waits and eventually times out with the following message in the syslog

+EQA9999W - Debug Tool TCPIP error
+EQA9999W - FeName=EQACSCTP Loc=110 Func=CONNEC Rc=-1 Fc=60
+EQA9999W - Err: ETIMEDOUT Connection timed out
+EQA9999W - IP: 10.1.139.5
+EQA9999W - Port: 3015
+EQA9999W - UserId: E01USER TaskNum: 00493
+Communications Failure allocating session.
+EQA9999W - FeName=EQACSCTP Loc=230 Func=SHUTDO Rc=-1 Fc=60
+EQA9999W - UserId: E01USER TaskNum: 00493
+EQA9931W - Requested user interface not available. Processing will
continue as if a QUIT DEBUG command had been entered.

Any ideas on what could be causing this or where I should look for troubleshooting help?

Sally
Updated on 2013-04-05T20:14:14Z at 2013-04-05T20:14:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • zdebug
    zdebug
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Debug Tool Connection error

‏2013-02-25T19:29:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I see the following two lines in the output:

Few questions:

1. Can you ping the workstation IP (10.1.139.5) from ISPF option 6? Say, ping 10.1.139.5 and is the ping command successful?
    2. The Debug Perspective when opened should have the daemon listening on port 3015. The default port is 8001 and since you seem to be using 3015, I hope that the daemon is turned ON and that it is listening for incoming connections on port 3015.

This issue seems with the DT on z/OS not being able to communicate with the workstation due to some TCP/IP issue, ranging from incorrect or misspelt values or firewall on the workstation.

I'm hoping these steps will get you in the right direction.

Cheers!
    • kevmeist
      kevmeist
      249 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T11:19:04Z  in response to zdebug
      Not sure about DT under Explorer (we use RD/z) but when RD/z first comes up (one time only), the listener on the PC itself is NOT running. You have to click the little green icon to start the listener. Once "started", it seems to stay "started" over invocations of RD/z.

Certainly, the Windows firewall "may" stop the PC from listening. Note also that McAfee Rogue System Detection (RSD) can cause the software running under RD/z (Explorer also) some problems when a McAfee message arrives at the PC listening port and RD/z-DT cannot understand the message (this only a problem once you get the PC listener running). Here, our PC support group keeps the developer PCs out of the McAfee scanning to avoid those problems.

Your situation would certainly seem to indicate the PC is not listening for inbound DT messages.

So, note that RD/z (Explorer also I would assume) talks to the mainframe on one port and listens for DT responses on the separate port (3015 in your case). The DT session still runs on the mainframe.

K
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T16:06:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I tried pinging 10.1.139.5 and could not. I got that fixed and can now ping the PC where I'm running the CE GUI. I also changed the port back to 8001 (I accidentally changed it to what the main debug TCPIPSERVICE port is). I'm still unable to see anything when I run the transaction. I'm wondering if it's a firewall issue on the PC. I'm having this looked into now.
    • kevmeist
      kevmeist
      249 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T17:00:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Maybe you can ping...but can you tell from the CE interface that the DT listener is actually listening? These are 2 different things. In RD/z, the little listener icon goes green. I assume thet the DT view under CE has something similar?

If you had a firewall issue, I would expect to see "connection refused".

Is you code compilec coirrectly for debug?
      Do you have the correct debug configuration setup in CE for debugging a specific program?
      Is the debug configuration actually running in the CICS region?
      You can use DTCN transaction to see if the debug configuration data is applied from CE to the region.

Note again that I am talking from a RD/z POV, but I think CE is very similar (maybe the same?, don't know).

Kevin
      • kevmeist
        kevmeist
        249 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T17:06:50Z  in response to kevmeist
        BTW, check whether SYSDEBUG is correctly set in the correct region.

See Sebugtool setting below (this uses DTCN)

I SYS
        Aging(32768) Oslevel(011200)
        Akp(04000) Progautoctlg(Ctlgmodify)
        Cicstslevel(040200) Progautoexit(DFHPGADX)
        Cmdprotect(Cmdprot) Progautoinst(Autoinactive)
        Db2conn(RCTC) Reentprotect(Reentprot)
        Debugtool(Nodebug) Release(0670)
        Dfltuser(FBIDCIC) Runaway(0005000)
        Dsalimit(07340032) Scandelay(0500)
        Dsrtprogram(NONE ) Sdtran(NO)
        Dtrprogram(CFHDYP ) Sosabovebar(Notsos)
        Dumping(Nosysdump) Sosaboveline(Notsos)
        Edsalimit(0134217728) Sosbelowline(Notsos)
        Forceqr(Noforce) Storeprotect(Inactive)
        Logdefer(00005) Time(0001000)
        Maxtasks(224) Tranisolate(Inactive)
        Memlimit(6G)
        Mqconn()
        Mrobatch(001)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T14:17:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The daemon is listening in CE, and debug is setup correctly in CICS. I can get it to debug locally in the region. When I switch it from MFI to TCP, it looks like it's getting hung up in TCPIP somewhere.

The DTCN sessions shows up in CE, so it's communicating somewhere. I can see the terminal and status of Active on the transaction I'm trying to debug. The code just isn't coming up, and I eventually get timed out.

+EQA9999W - FeName=EQACSCTP Loc=110 Func=CONNEC Rc=-1 Fc=60
    +EQA9999W - Port: 8001
    +EQA9999W - UserId: E013996 TaskNum: 00390
    +Communications Failure allocating session.
    +EQA9999W - FeName=EQACSCTP Loc=230 Func=SHUTDO Rc=-1 Fc=60
    +EQA9999W - Port: 8001
    +EQA9999W - UserId: E013996 TaskNum: 00390
    +EQA9931W - Requested user interface not available. Processing will
    continue as if a QUIT DEBUG command had been entered.
    • kevmeist
      kevmeist
      249 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T14:54:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Well, when this happens (as I have seen under RD/z), it is the weak point of running DT under RD/z or CE. That message says this in the manual:

EQA9931W
      Requested user interface not available. Processing will continue as if a QUIT DEBUG command had been entered.
      Explanation:

The requested user interface is not available so Debug Tool will quit processing events and the application will continue to run. (Note that any calls to restart Debug Tool are ignored.) This behavior was specified in the EQAOPTS customization module via the EQAXOPT macro invocation option NODISPLAY,QUITDEBUG.
      Programmer response:

Make sure the user interface specified as a suboption in the TEST runtime option is correct and available. However, if you do not want the processing of a QUIT DEBUG command when this situation is detected then change the EQAXOPT macro invocation option to NODISPLAY,DEFAULT in your EQAOPTS customization module.

This is not one I have seen before, but maybe due to you using CE and me using RD/z.

HOWEVER if when you try to run DT under CE but a DT session comes up on the 3270 screen (I think this what you mean by "debug locally in the region" then it means that the pattern matching that DT looks for at the mainframe end may not be matching to fire off DT.

For the C code that I support on the mainframe, I MUST include EQADCCXT in the linkedit. You also have to have the correct TEST parameters specified when you compile. Other languages may have a similar module to include? I believe that our Cobol guys use TEST(ALL,SYM,SEP)

What you posted seems to still show that DT still can't talk to the PC. Is the Windows firewall getting in the way? (the 60/ETIMEDOUT message).

Can you post screen shots of how you have setup for debug in CE? In RD/z, it is under Debug Configurations. If this isn't setup correctly, then you won't start DT under CE.

Don't forget that whatever you have setup in CE for DT essentially gets sent to the mainframe and should be reflected in what the DTCN transaction shows in a CICS session.

I've attached an RD/z Debug Configuration screen. I assume that you have a similar one under CE?

Kevin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T15:16:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    HOWEVER if when you try to run DT under CE but a DT session comes up on the 3270 screen (I think this what you mean by "debug locally in the region" then it means that the pattern matching that DT looks for at the mainframe end may not be matching to fire off DT.

I should clarify what I meant by this. When I set up DTCN in my 3270 CICS session and point it to MFI, it debugs correctly in the 3270 interface. When I change that to point to TCP and my terminal with CICS Explorer

Select type and ID of debug display device
    Session Type ==> TCP MFI, TCP
    Port Number ==> 8001 TCP Port
    Display Id ==> 10.1.139.5

It appears to try to go out and connect, but gets the timeout. The session turns up in CE as active, which shows me that they are communicating for sure, there's just something stopping the listener from picking it up when I run my transaction. That was leading me to believe it was a firewall problem, and that the firewall isn't allowing my PC to receive the transaction.
    • kevmeist
      kevmeist
      249 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T15:41:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Sally,

Sounds a bit like firewall (maybe the Windows firewall on your PC).

Can you not setup a debug session directly from CE? This is what I do under RD/z (versus messing around with DTCN). The RD/z screen I attached is a bit more "friendly" than DTCN. Can you check whether CE has a "debug configuration" type screen? But, in my experience, when I use RD/z to set this up, I see the screen below in DTCN:

DTCN Debug Tool CICS Control - Primary Menu
      * VSAMstorage method *
      Select the combination of resources to debug(see Help for more inform
      Terminal Id ==>
      Transaction Id ==>PC06
      LoadMod::>CU(s)==> ::> ==> ::>
      ==> ::> ==> ::>
      User Id ==>userid
      NetName ==>
      IP Name/Address==>
      Select type and ID of debug display device
      Session Type ==>TCP MFI, TCP
      Port Number ==>8001 TCP Port
      Display Id ==>10.67.69.72

Generated String: TEST(ALL,'*',PROMPT,'TCPIP&10.67.69.72%8001:*')

Repository String:TEST(ALL,'*',PROMPT,'TCPIP&10.67.69.72%8001:*')

Profile Status: Active. Press PF5 to Inactivate.
      EQA2520W Terminal mismatch. Press PF10 to set to current terminal.

If DT on the mainframe can't get through to CE, it (in my experience) brings up the 3270 version of DT.

Can you check if your windows firewall has an exception for this:

javaw.exe under whatever directory CE puts the javaw.exe file?

Without that exception being allowed, I don't think that DT can get through to the CE GUI on the PC.

Kevin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T18:44:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    It looks like there was an issue with the firewall on the PC. We were able to get to the mainframe when we created an SSH tunnel, but couldn't get the connection on port 8001 (we tried a few others as well). I had the firewall completely turned off on that specific PC, and we were able to connect. We're working on instead allowing an exception for port 8001.

Thanks to IBM for walking me through this. Debug is now working in our CE.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      270 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-05T20:14:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,
      I am having a similar problem and would like to know where to look to see the EQA9999W messages. It would at least give me some hint as to what is happening in my case.

Thanks
      • kevmeist
        kevmeist
        249 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-16T17:04:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Try the CICS logs for the region you are trying to run a debug tool session in. I haven't seen it here for a while, so have nothing to check.

K