Topic
13 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-01-21T21:17:06Z by oscar medina
btdriver
btdriver
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Guardium 8.2 Collector System Restore Issue

‏2013-02-21T18:22:02Z |
I have a problem with a Guardium 8.2 Collector and need to restore the last System Backup. I perform regularly scheduled backups using the standard Data Management System Backup functionality (Administration Console -> Data Management -> System Backup).

I understand that to restore I need to use the CLI 'restore system'. I have performed a 'restore system' using the most recent backup, and the restore appears to be successful. It reports 'Recovery procedure was successful.’, but after I perform the restore I can no longer access the Collector through the browser GUI. (It worked fine before performing the restore.) Internet Explorer reports ‘Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.' (Likewise, Mozilla Firefox reports 'Unable to connect' and Google Chrome reports 'This webpage is not available'.) Restarting the GUI or even restarting the system does not resolve the problem.

How can I diagnose and resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Bruce Driver
Updated on 2013-03-06T15:13:51Z at 2013-03-06T15:13:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • Muris
    Muris
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Guardium 8.2 Collector System Restore Issue

‏2013-02-22T08:03:58Z  in response to btdriver
    Hi,

When you log on to CLI, and issue 'restart network' command, do you see any messages while restarting interface? For example, 'No device found' or similiar?

Regards,
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    483 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T13:11:38Z  in response to btdriver
    Try reinstall the license, I experience once before and according to the IBM support I need to reinstall the license. After reinstall the license and it works.
    • btdriver
      btdriver
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-23T14:09:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I reinstalled the license and restarted the system as you advised, and my problem is resolved. Thank you very much.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        483 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T10:49:21Z  in response to btdriver
        Just for sharing, recently I also perform one "restore system" for configuration only but I restored the wrong version mean from 8.01 to 8.2, however, Guardium still proceed the restore and said completed successfully but actually it screw up certain functionality in the portal.

Secondly, when we perform restore, please ensure both machines has the identical build image and sniffer version, otherwise your machine might have issue.

And, if possible try not to install any patch on the new machines as the restore system will actually restore the previous installed patch record into the new machines. I mean just only record not the patch so you will need to reinstall the patch again.

So, rule of thumb, make sure you keep all the record of the "show build" for all system to ensure no mismatch when you want to perform restore system to recover the system.
        • btdriver
          btdriver
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T22:52:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thank you for the additional information.

Perhaps you can help me with a related problem. I am trying to perform a Data Restore of a nightly archive for the same Guardium Collector (Administration Console -> Data Management -> Data Restore).
          I select an entry from the Restore Data results and press <Restore>. I press <OK> for the dialog box

"Are you sure you want to restore data? This operation may take a long time."

I then get the confirmation dialog box

"Operation successfully started. Depending on the size of the job, please allow time for the operation to complete before looking for results or running the operation again."

So far everything seems fine.

However, when I check Guardium Monitor -> Aggregation/Archive Log, I see the following results for
          this operation:

Activity Type Start Time Status Comment

----------
          -------
          Restore <Timestamp> Failed Error while importing file <filename> from <IP-address>: Exit value = 1

How can I diagnose and resolve this problem?

Thanks
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            483 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-02T12:18:44Z  in response to btdriver
            Hi, may I know are you trying to restore the data archived from another appliance? If yes, did you configured the System Shared Secret key at the previous appliance? If yes, than you need to configured the same System Shared Secret key at this new appliance too before you can restore the data.

Did you configure the SCP/FTP server at the System backup portion and at the same time test whether you can access to that particular SCP/FTP server especially the folder that kept those archived data?
            Hope it help.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            483 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-02T12:26:30Z  in response to btdriver
            Hi, are you trying to restore the data previously archived by another Collector? Did you set the System Shared Secret key at the previous Collector? Did you set the same System Shared Secret key at this Collector that you wish to restore data to?

Please also consider to configure the SCP/FTP server at the System Backup and test the connectivity.
            • btdriver
              btdriver
              7 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-04T20:12:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              I am trying to restore the archived data to the same Collector from which the archive was performed.

Until recently this Guardium environment consisted of a single Collector appliance, and the System Shared Secret was not set. In the past month a Central Manager/Aggregator appliance was implemented, and a System Shared Secret was set for both appliances at that time.

The Collector archive in question would have been made when the Collector did not have a System Shared Secret set.

The System Backup is configured to use the same SCP/FTP server. The Data Archive successfully sends
              archives on a nightly basis to this SCP/FTP server. The System Backup runs on a weekly basis and also
              successfully sends backups to this SCP/FTP server.

If it is necessary that an appliance have the same System Shared Secret as it had when the archive was made, is it possible to unset the System Shared Secret? If this Restore problem is caused by a System Shared Secret mismatch, is there some other way to solve the problem?
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                483 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T16:00:32Z  in response to btdriver
                Well, as I understand, Guardium will keep all the history of System Shared Secret key in the database, this is useful when your corporate policy require to change the key over certain period of time.

But, if you are currently in the Managed environment, if you were change the System Shared Secret key to NULL, the Collector will not be able to managed by CM/Aggregator.

The command to change the System Shared Secret key to NULL is :

aggregator clean shared-secret

May I know you are trying to restore the data to the collector or aggregator?
                • btdriver
                  btdriver
                  7 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T17:38:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  I am trying to restore to the Collector. I am trying to restore the Archive to the same Collector from which the archive originated.
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    483 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-06T15:13:51Z  in response to btdriver
                    Well, if you are trying to restore back to the same collector, it should work. Unless, the archived file is too big and there is a timeout when it try to download from the server.

You might want to check at the log file such as "guard_filetransfer_log" from the fileserver to see any error message
  • oscar medina
    oscar medina
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-21T20:39:59Z  in response to btdriver

I had had problems with restore archive files . the error is ::::::   Error while importing file <name file>.dbdump.enc from <ftp server>: Exit value = 255.

Somebody can help me?

thanks,

Updated on 2014-01-21T20:40:29Z at 2014-01-21T20:40:29Z by oscar medina
    • oscar medina
      oscar medina
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-21T21:17:06Z  in response to oscar medina

resolved.  i need to updated the catalog of archive.