Pinned topic Brocade FC5022 16Gb Adapter - Not seen in bios
Strange issue with the following configuration
1. x240 Blades
2. 88Y6370 - IBM Flex System FC5022 2-port 16Gb FC Adapter
3. FC5022 x 2 Brocade 16Gb Fibre Channel Switches in Chassis
The issue is detailed in the following retainer tip Read First!!!
However, even with Brocade BootCode 18.104.22.168 these cards display strange functionality.
1. After "Hard Reset" (Turn off blade and back on) Boot Blade and enter Bios, navigate to "system settings" then "Adapter and UEFI driver"...
At this stage if you monitor the Port activity from the FC5022 Brocade FC switch you will see active lights on the relevant Blade port, however if you simply save and exit bios at this stage you will loose "sync" on the FC switch and the HBA will not be seen by your chosen OS.
2. If you now "soft" reboot the blade and go back into bios, when you select "system settings" then "Adapter and UEFI driver" the Brocade HBA will not be listed.....can not be seen anywhere in Bios.
3. If you "hard reboot" (turn off the Blade then power it back on) and go back into Bios, navigate to "system settings" then "Adapter and UEFI driver" you will see the brocade adapter again.
4. At this stage to get it working I did the following, select each of the brocade HBA ports, you will be prompted (black screen) (asked) if you want to enable the port.... select Yes. Do this for each Port. Once this is done, you can see under "Storage" (In system settings) that the ports are "Enabled" (X).
5. Save and Exit Bios and the card will now come up active (once you load the correct Drivers for you chosen OS.
I have found if these steps are not taken you will not see the HBA's at all on your chosen OS. I have done this across 4 x x240's that all had the same problem / Function??......
Note: If you simply go into "system settings" then "Storage" and select "Enable Port" (if you can see the card in the first place), I have found it does NOT hold this setting. I have found you must perform steps 3 and 4.
Has anyone else see this issue??? Not sure if this is just coincidence but I worked through this on 4 x failing x240's and they all started working after many failure and reloads of Bios....
Maybe this will help someone else out.. If you have any more info let me know. If the issue comes back I will update this Post.
Re: Brocade FC5022 16Gb Adapter - Not seen in bios2013-02-21T11:01:26Z in response to BerniebgbbAlso worth noting, with respect to Windows 2008 R2.
As per the Retain Tip, it says to install the driver first....
"The install FAIL's because it can not find any HBA's*
I had to first fix up the Bios settings (see previous post) so the HBA could be seen by the OS, then the driver self executable install completed successfully.
DavidWohlberg 270002VQ2A1 PostACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Brocade FC5022 16Gb Adapter - Not seen in bios2013-07-12T20:52:11Z in response to Berniebgbb
We are also experiencing this exact same problem, even if you upgrade the firmware to v22.214.171.124 first, it still appears that you have to perform your steps as well as the ports will still be disabled after firmware upgrade. I've also noticed that immediately after the UEFI screen, both ports will light green on their respective FC5022 fibre switches, however as the boot continues, sometimes one or the other port lights will go out - this is even before I have an OS loaded so I've not confirmed if it stabilizes once the OS driver is loaded. We do have a couple of compute nodes loaded with ESXi and they appear stable, however two others with no OS loaded appear random. I would expect if the port is enabled, it should not make a difference if there is an OS loaded yet.