Topic
14 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-23T08:56:11Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Failed to lookup a channel.Either endpoint or the SOAPaction was missing

‏2013-02-21T06:57:37Z |
Hi all,

We are trying to connect to a SOAP webservice via DataPower. We have configured a proxy policy in the user agent inorder to connect to SOAP webservice as both DP box and webservice are altogether in different regions.

We are passing the required SOAPheader with appropriate end points. But getting an empty response from the webservice. When we checked the DP logs , its giving a 404 error.

And logs at webservice side are giving the description as "Failed to lookup a channel to receive an incoming message. Either the endpoint or the SOAP action was not found"

We are just testing the connectivity by configuring an MPGW in DataPower.

Please share your views.
Updated on 2013-03-23T08:56:11Z at 2013-03-23T08:56:11Z by SystemAdmin
  • kenhygh
    kenhygh
    1308 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Failed to lookup a channel.Either endpoint or the SOAPaction was missing

‏2013-02-21T11:22:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You'll need to talk to the admins of the downstream server to see exactly what your request, including headers, needs to look like.

Ken
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6772 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-21T11:32:12Z  in response to kenhygh
      Hi ken,

Thanks for the reply.
      We are using the same request shared by the server folks.
      But as we are using a proxy policy in the user agent to connect to the server, it might be suppressing the headers.
      Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,
      Simmer
      • kenhygh
        kenhygh
        1308 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-21T15:00:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        It's possible they're being suppressed. Are you seeing them in the probe before the request is sent to the backend?

Ken
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          6772 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-21T16:23:58Z  in response to kenhygh
          yes i am able to see them in the probe. and i am getting an empty response unlike other webservices where we get a soap fault.

Backend people are saying that their servers are rejecting our message.

Please share your views
          • HermannSW
            HermannSW
            4152 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-21T19:47:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            If Probe is not helpful enough to diagnose what gets sent to backend, please take a packet capture.
            That will show you exactly what gets sent to backend.

Just find any packet going to backend in Wireshark, and then do "Follow TCP stream".
            It will show you all header values and everything else.

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/>
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              6772 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T13:15:00Z  in response to HermannSW
              Hermann - Thanks for replying.
              To enable packet capture, i dont have access to default domain of the DP box.
              We are using a proxy policy in the user agent to invoke the webservice.
              and i am not able to see any trace of the same in the dp logs.
              Also i am getting a http 404 code in the dp logs for the backend url.

And we are getting an empty response in the probe(not even a soap fault).

So what can be the exact issue, i am not able to figure out.

Please share your thoughts.

Reagards,
              Simmer
              • kenhygh
                kenhygh
                1308 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T13:46:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                404 means 'not found'. This tells me that you are not calling the backend with the correct URI.

Ken
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  6772 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T13:49:31Z  in response to kenhygh
                  We have confirmed the uri and it is correct.
                  • HermannSW
                    HermannSW
                    4152 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T18:47:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    > We have confirmed the uri and it is correct.
                    >
                    Please go to "Trouble Shooting" in WebGUI, and do a TCP connection test from DataPower to the server and the port from your rui.
                    If not successful, a network firewall might block your appliance's access.

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/>
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      6772 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-23T07:01:54Z  in response to HermannSW
                      Hermann- I have already tried that TCP connnction for the proxy we are using. As i mentioned earlier we are not able to hit the services directly. So we are using a proxy policy in the user agent to hit the backend server.

Please share your valuable views
                  • Trey
                    Trey
                    222 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T19:54:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Simmer,
                    It was not clear if the content you are accessing is over SSL or not. 404, as Ken noted would come from the content server not the device.

I might suggest an alternative if you can not collect a packet trace. You could try to manually issue the same request using curl. Make sure to use the same request method, url, and headers as the device should be sending and confirm it works to that same destination.

The error you noted "Failed to lookup a channel to receive an incoming message. Either the endpoint or the SOAP action was not found"
                    Sounds like the app server uri is not bound to a service or the service is not started on the app server. That is why I would confirm the request fails with or without the device.

I hope it helps.
                    Trey
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      6772 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-23T07:32:46Z  in response to Trey
                      Trey - Thanks for replying.

We are not using SSL connection. And we are getting an empty response while invoking the webservice. And Failed to lookup a channel to receive an incoming message. Either the endpoint or the SOAP action was not found message is shared by backend people for our requests.

My query is that ,we should at least get a SOAP fault if we are hitting their servers, but we are getting an empty response. And we are hitting their servers through a proxy policy.

Please share your valuable thoughts.

Regards,
                      Simmer
                      • Trey
                        Trey
                        222 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-25T15:00:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        I am making an assumption here but this does not look like a connectivity issue. Based on the description and info you gave it simply appears the app server has an issue within it. That is why I suggest to use a client like curl to try reaching the same backendip/uri, soapaction, etc. The channel error you gave sounds very much like what I used to see in some backend app servers when the content mapping was wrong or the app was simply not running.

It sounds like the channel "listener" is up but the app is not up or properly associate with that listener. If you can issue the same request manually to the same backend ip:port/uri and get the same problem then you can work with the app server admin to figure out what is needed to reach the proper content.

I hope this helps.
                        • SystemAdmin
                          SystemAdmin
                          6772 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-23T08:56:11Z  in response to Trey
                          All- Thanks for your suggestions. It was a Backend Webservice issue only.

Trey - You were correct. Thanks for your help. Sorry for replying late.