• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-22T19:47:13Z by ddonovan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
340 Posts

Pinned topic Import part number process

‏2013-02-20T14:22:11Z |

Morning
I have a passport advanatge part number list. The ILMT guides and SPVC training just talk about specifying a date range when getting the CSV data.
If I specify multiple years will ILMT add in all part numbers in that range?
What happens if in later years a product was not renewed, this part number still show in ILMT?
Can old redundant part numbers be removed from ILMT? I have not seen any isntructions on this option.
Regards

Updated on 2014-04-22T13:47:37Z at 2014-04-22T13:47:37Z by ICTmember
  • GosiaDors
    GosiaDors
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Import part number process

‏2013-02-25T12:48:36Z  
    Hello,

Importing part numbers is a feature implemented in ILMT 7.5:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.lmt75.doc%2Fcom.ibm.license.mgmt.config.doc%2Ft_importing_part_numbers_conf.html

The purpose of part number import to ILMT is to suggest in first place products matched through part numbers on imported list.

A few main rules worth remembering:

1. Results of importing part numbers you can see in the Part Numbers column in the Manage Software Inventory panel.

2. If there are no components assigned to the given part number, it means that the product has not been installed yet or it has not been discovered by the software scan yet.

3. If a part number is not included in the Software Catalog, it is not shown in the Manage Software Inventory panel.

4. To import a new part numbers list and delete the previous part numbers list, use a check box at the bottom of the page in the Import Part Numbers panel.

5. To delete all part numbers imported to ILMT server, import the file with only ILMT part number. The whole content of such file should be as follows:

"Part number",
    "Order type" D561HLL,Licenses

6. ILMT does not provide information about part number migration history. The Software Catalog contains only a simple mapping of part number to product.
    Please keep in mind that ILMT is a reporting tool. It uses part numbers to help with software bundling, however it does not have a customer purchase history build into the software. All customers use the same Software Catalog to detect the software components and as part of license management perform a bundling of components to appropriate licenses (software products).

To learn more about your entitlements please refer to the Passport Advantage Site and your IBM Sales Representative.

Malgorzata Dors,
    IBM SW Catalog
    I am an IBM employee, however all views and opinions presented here are my own.If you need IBM's official assistance, please contact the product support.
    Updated on 2013-02-25T12:48:36Z at 2013-02-25T12:48:36Z by GosiaDors
  • ICTmember
    ICTmember
    152 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-22T13:47:01Z  
    • ddonovan
    • ‏2014-04-22T13:31:15Z

Hi,

After importing all the Passport Advantage Part Numbers in to ILMT.  Then several months later "new" products were purchased and the "new" part numbers need to be imported into ILMT.  What's the best approach?

(1) Create a new part number import file and include just the one or two "new" part numbers and do not delete the previous part numbers list.

Or,

(2) add the "new" one or two part numbers to the original part number list and delete the previous part number list?

Thanks in advance!

Dan Donovan

Hi Dan,

The best ideas are usually the simplest ones. 
    Just create a short file with new part numbers and import it. They will be added to existed list.

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.
    If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool

• GosiaDors
    GosiaDors
    6 Posts

‏2013-02-25T12:48:36Z  
    Hello,

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.lmt75.doc%2Fcom.ibm.license.mgmt.config.doc%2Ft_importing_part_numbers_conf.html

The purpose of part number import to ILMT is to suggest in first place products matched through part numbers on imported list.

1. Results of importing part numbers you can see in the Part Numbers column in the Manage Software Inventory panel.

2. If there are no components assigned to the given part number, it means that the product has not been installed yet or it has not been discovered by the software scan yet.

3. If a part number is not included in the Software Catalog, it is not shown in the Manage Software Inventory panel.

4. To import a new part numbers list and delete the previous part numbers list, use a check box at the bottom of the page in the Import Part Numbers panel.

5. To delete all part numbers imported to ILMT server, import the file with only ILMT part number. The whole content of such file should be as follows:

"Part number",
    "Order type" D561HLL,Licenses

6. ILMT does not provide information about part number migration history. The Software Catalog contains only a simple mapping of part number to product.
    Please keep in mind that ILMT is a reporting tool. It uses part numbers to help with software bundling, however it does not have a customer purchase history build into the software. All customers use the same Software Catalog to detect the software components and as part of license management perform a bundling of components to appropriate licenses (software products).

To learn more about your entitlements please refer to the Passport Advantage Site and your IBM Sales Representative.

Malgorzata Dors,
    IBM SW Catalog
    I am an IBM employee, however all views and opinions presented here are my own.If you need IBM's official assistance, please contact the product support.
    Updated on 2013-02-25T12:48:36Z at 2013-02-25T12:48:36Z by GosiaDors
  • ddonovan
    ddonovan
    2 Posts

‏2014-04-22T13:31:15Z  
    • GosiaDors
    • ‏2013-02-22T09:48:32Z
    Hello,

<pre class="jive-pre"> "Part number", "Order type" D561HLL,Licenses </pre>

Malgorzata Dors,
    IBM SW Catalog

Hi,

After importing all the Passport Advantage Part Numbers in to ILMT.  Then several months later "new" products were purchased and the "new" part numbers need to be imported into ILMT.  What's the best approach?

(1) Create a new part number import file and include just the one or two "new" part numbers and do not delete the previous part numbers list.

Or,

(2) add the "new" one or two part numbers to the original part number list and delete the previous part number list?

Thanks in advance!

Dan Donovan

• ICTmember
    ICTmember
    152 Posts

‏2014-04-22T13:47:01Z  
    • ddonovan
    • ‏2014-04-22T13:31:15Z

Hi,

Or,

Thanks in advance!

Dan Donovan

Hi Dan,

Just create a short file with new part numbers and import it. They will be added to existed list.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool

• ddonovan
    ddonovan
    2 Posts

‏2014-04-22T19:47:13Z  
    • ICTmember
    • ‏2014-04-22T13:47:01Z

Hi Dan,

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

Yes, that answers my question.  Thanks Michal!!

Dan