Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-13T18:15:58Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2948 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unknown Directory/ Unknown File in Coverage report

‏2013-02-20T11:02:03Z |
Hi,

I'm working on project where I need to come up withe test coverage report at both function and line level using PureCoverage. The application under test has 10 different modules and I need to analyze each of those modules. I used Visual Studio 2010 to generate the end-states(dlls) for all the ten modules and the appropriate pdb files( used the recommended settings like Debug Info Format:Zi, Incrmental Linking: No; Optimization: No; Debug: Yes etc

When end-states I generated are given as input to the PureCoverage, I'm able to get the appropriate report generated. Unfortunalely wasn't able to reach the annotated source code. Ended up with Unknown Directory or Unknown file in the coverage report generated. Double-clicking the line showing the function coverage doesn't open the annotated source code. Rational help files indicate the reason for showing up Unknown Directory/Unknown File as end-states(DLLs or PDBs) doesn't contain the sufficient source code information.

Please suggest the settings required to build the project/solution in Visual Studio 2010, to ensure that the end-states(DLLs or PDBs) contain sufficient debug information( including Source code information ) if that is the cause OR let me know if I'm missing some thing which ensure

I've attached the screenshots to show the report showing Unknown Director OR Unknown File

Any help regarding this will be appreciated
Updated on 2013-03-13T18:15:58Z at 2013-03-13T18:15:58Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2948 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unknown Directory/ Unknown File in Coverage report

‏2013-02-20T18:46:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Signum,

Glad to see you're already using the "Recommended Settings".

1. Out of curiosity, were the EXE and PDB files copied from a different machine?
    2. In other words, do you have source code available on the machine where the
    instrumented application is running? (The PDB files are typically generated
    on the developer's machine and reference source files on THAT machine. If the
    EXE and DLLs have been copied to a test machine, you may not have source code
    available in the same directories that existed on the developer desktop.)

Best regards,
    Don
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2948 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T08:46:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Don,

Both the pdb files and dll files are from the same machine, as they are built on the same testing machine. I would like to mention that my application has many dll files, I'm interested at analyzing the coverage for all the dll files seperately. But, I've copied all the dll files and their corresponding pdb files to the working directory. For PureCoverage, I've given only those module which I'm currently interested at analyzing. But the issue as said exist, when the report is generated.

Thanks for any help regarding this!

Thanks,
      Sreedhar
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2948 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T21:42:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Sreedhar,

1. Take a look at the PurifyPlus cache directory. For example:
        C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\x86\cache

2. Look for the instrumented version of one of your DLLs. Do you
        also see a corresponding instrumented .PDB file? If NOT, then
        PureCoverage is not instrumenting the .PDB file for one of many
        reasons. Try deleting the DLL and .PDB file and re-build it
        from scratch. The instrumented DLL and .PDB would have names
        that look something like this:

mydll$Purify_C___PRACTICE_MyDLL_Debug.dll
        MyDLL$Purify_C___PRACTICE_MyDLL_Debug.pdb

3. Are you using "Selective Instrumentation"? It's not clear how you
        are able to use PureCoverage on only some DLLs at a given time.
        Does your application only load certain DLLs depending on what path
        is executed?

4. Be sure to contact your local Tech Support office for help. If
        you're in the U.S., you can call 1-800-IBM-SERV. If you're
        somewhere else in the world, please refer to this web page:

http://www.ibm.com/planetwide/

Best regards,
        Don
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2948 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-02T14:40:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind suppport information! I've had a check at the location "C:\Program Files\Rational\PurifyPlus\cache". I could see only the .pdb files(Attached the screen capture) generated for my selected dll file of my large application. I'm using the Selective Instrumentation feature of the PureCoverage to instrument only the dll which I want to analyze.

The configuration details I've specified in the PureCoverage for my application is as below(Also attached the screen-print attached)

1)Program Name: P:\win32\powerchart.exe (This is location to the .exe of the application which has many dll files of which I need analyze a few)
          2)Source File Search path: P:\WIN32\PVORDERPOE (The directory PVORDERPOE has the source codeVC+ code base for my selected dll)
          3)Module selected in 'Modules Coverage [Selective[' window: P:\win32\pvorderpoe.dll (pvorderpoe.dll is the my target dll to analyse which is built in Test Release(No Unit Test) mode in VS 2010 to generate, thus generated its corresponding .pdb file

Please find time to go through the document attached which contains the screen-prints for reference and let me know where I'm going wrong in not getting the report with Annotated source code information.

I'll contact the local support based on your inputs on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
          Sreedhar
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2948 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-13T07:35:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Don,

Please suggest on the latest input I've provided. I'm thinking to contact Tech Support based on your inputs to my recent inputs

Thanks,
          Sreedhar
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2948 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-13T18:15:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi Sreedhar,

Yes, by all means, please contact IBM Tech Support to see if they've
            run into this issue before. From what I can tell, there appears to
            be an instrumented PDB file in the CACHE and that means that PureCov
            is in fact instrumenting both the DLL and PDB file. Your coverage
            report which doesn't even show any function names looks really wrong
            to me.

Please contact Tech Support for assistance.
            Don