• Latest Post - ‏2013-02-19T19:44:34Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic vios

‏2013-02-19T12:55:17Z |
hi guys,
i am new in aix.
i have an ibm box with aix on it.now using hmc i create vio and lpars on it.in this case on this box i have aix running only in vio and lpars or also in physical initial box?I mean now aix will runs only in vio server and lpars.Is right?
the vios resides in internal hdd and lpars in SAN?
Using only hmc could i setup vio and lpars on an box which is without aix installed on it-i mean a new branded box?how?

thanx so much,
marius
Updated on 2013-02-19T19:44:34Z at 2013-02-19T19:44:34Z by SystemAdmin
  • bassemir
    bassemir
    39 Posts

Re: vios

‏2013-02-19T14:56:23Z  
    Using the HMC you can build a VIOS LPAR and load it from a VIOS install DVD (not an AIX install DVD). When you build that VIOS partition you identify the physical adapters you want the VIOS partition to own (and later share with client LPARs). Once the VIOS LPAR is built and loaded you can create "client LPARs" that can use virtual resources from the VIOS LPAR.

If you have AIX already running on your system, it might own all the resources already. Which means it is already using a hard drive for rootvg. If this instance of AIX is important to you and you need to preserve it, you need to think about what resources you are going to assign to the vios. If this instance of AIX has no data you need to save, then you don't have to worry about saving data on the disks being used for the VIOS rootvg when you do the install.

Being new to AIX the Redbooks written on the VIOS and PowerVM will be a great resource.

Rich
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

Re: vios

‏2013-02-19T19:44:34Z  
    • bassemir
    • ‏2013-02-19T14:56:23Z
    Using the HMC you can build a VIOS LPAR and load it from a VIOS install DVD (not an AIX install DVD). When you build that VIOS partition you identify the physical adapters you want the VIOS partition to own (and later share with client LPARs). Once the VIOS LPAR is built and loaded you can create "client LPARs" that can use virtual resources from the VIOS LPAR.

If you have AIX already running on your system, it might own all the resources already. Which means it is already using a hard drive for rootvg. If this instance of AIX is important to you and you need to preserve it, you need to think about what resources you are going to assign to the vios. If this instance of AIX has no data you need to save, then you don't have to worry about saving data on the disks being used for the VIOS rootvg when you do the install.

Being new to AIX the Redbooks written on the VIOS and PowerVM will be a great resource.

Rich
    Hi Rich,
    I give you my warmest thanks to your valuable comments.
    Regarding HMC,i see that could deploy VIO LPAR on a target-so i think that HMC is using some level 2 protocol in OSI model.HMC not use TCP/IP.Is right?
    In production there are compulsories 2 VIOS servers on the box.If i have now 10 LPARS as clients for the 2 VIOS servers,then i need 20 physical NICs in VIOS(10 in one VIO and 10 in the other one) in order to have the optimum throuput over LAN?Also some of the LPARS could use the same LUN into SAN,so here only 2 SCSI server in the 2 VIOS should be fine.
    What is the best place to have rootvg to the 2 VIOS?I mean on local disks or into SAN?
    Warmest regards,
    marius