• Latest Post - ‏2013-02-25T22:31:23Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1743 Posts

Pinned topic vios ?

‏2013-02-19T12:52:29Z |
hi guys,
i am new in aix.
i have an ibm box with aix on it.now using hmc i create vio and lpars on it.in this case on this box i have aix running only in vio and lpars or also in physical initial box?I mean now aix will runs only in vio server and lpars.Is right?
the vios resides in internal hdd and lpars in SAN?
Using only hmc could i setup vio and lpars on an box which is without aix installed on it-i mean a new branded box?how?

thanx so much,
marius
Updated on 2013-02-25T22:31:23Z at 2013-02-25T22:31:23Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

Re: vios ?

‏2013-02-20T22:25:41Z  
    Firstly, it's not clear whether you already have AIX running on this box. If so, do you want to migrate the contents of that system to the new environment? This will add to the complexity.

Secondly, it is best to consider the VIOServer as an appliance rather than a partition running AIX. While this is true under the covers, I recommend that you start simply using the VIOServer as an appliance and using the relevant VIOServer commands when required.

You can use the HMC to create a VIOServer partition and one or more AIX partitions. I recommend that you define the bus on which the CD/DVD is located as desirable so that you can move it between partitions.

To set up the VIOServer partition is easiest if you have the relevant software install CDs. You assign the device to the VIOServer partition, open a console window and and run the installation off the CD/DVD. Alternatively if you have a nimserver you can perform installation from that server.

To install AIX on client partitions you will need to configure virtual storage devices using the VIOServer.

I recommend that you consult the Redbook "Advanced Power Virtualisation".
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-21T10:30:48Z  
    Firstly, it's not clear whether you already have AIX running on this box. If so, do you want to migrate the contents of that system to the new environment? This will add to the complexity.

Secondly, it is best to consider the VIOServer as an appliance rather than a partition running AIX. While this is true under the covers, I recommend that you start simply using the VIOServer as an appliance and using the relevant VIOServer commands when required.

You can use the HMC to create a VIOServer partition and one or more AIX partitions. I recommend that you define the bus on which the CD/DVD is located as desirable so that you can move it between partitions.

To set up the VIOServer partition is easiest if you have the relevant software install CDs. You assign the device to the VIOServer partition, open a console window and and run the installation off the CD/DVD. Alternatively if you have a nimserver you can perform installation from that server.

To install AIX on client partitions you will need to configure virtual storage devices using the VIOServer.

I recommend that you consult the Redbook "Advanced Power Virtualisation".
    Hi Pfarell,

I give you my warmest thanks for your valuable comments.
    please also reply to:
    please where is the best place to deploy vios?on local disks or SAN?
    HMC is using an discovery mechanism into a LAN with ibm boxes?
    nx so much,
    marius
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-22T00:00:35Z  
    The response to your "deployment" question depends on the hardware configuration of your system. There are two practical configurations and then a combination of each of them.

The first configuration is where you have local storage devices on a split bus. The split bus is vital so that each of your two VIOServers have their own separate I/O bus. The local storage devices (i.e. disks) for each VIOServer should be mirrored for redundancy and data protection.

The second configuration is where you have several (i.e. at least one per VIOServer) fibre channel adapters. In this configuration, each VIOServer has one adapter to access SAN storage. Ideally each VIOServer should have two adapters for redundancy purposes. The SAN storage would have multiple paths from the VIOServer. Ideally this would be through duplicated switches. Consult your storage administrators.

Depending on the hardware resources in the system, you might need to have one VIOServer using local storage and the other using SAN storage.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-22T07:15:11Z  
    The response to your "deployment" question depends on the hardware configuration of your system. There are two practical configurations and then a combination of each of them.

The first configuration is where you have local storage devices on a split bus. The split bus is vital so that each of your two VIOServers have their own separate I/O bus. The local storage devices (i.e. disks) for each VIOServer should be mirrored for redundancy and data protection.

The second configuration is where you have several (i.e. at least one per VIOServer) fibre channel adapters. In this configuration, each VIOServer has one adapter to access SAN storage. Ideally each VIOServer should have two adapters for redundancy purposes. The SAN storage would have multiple paths from the VIOServer. Ideally this would be through duplicated switches. Consult your storage administrators.

Depending on the hardware resources in the system, you might need to have one VIOServer using local storage and the other using SAN storage.
    Hi Pfarell,
    I give you my warmest thanks to your valuable comments.
    Regarding HMC,i see that could deploy VIO LPAR on a target-so i think that HMC is using some level 2 protocol in OSI model.HMC not use TCP/IP.Is right?
    In production there are compulsories 2 VIOS servers on the box.If i have now 10 LPARS as clients for the 2 VIOS servers,then i need 20 physical NICs in VIOS(10 in one VIO and 10 in the other one) in order to have the optimum throuput over LAN?Also some of the LPARS could use the same LUN into SAN,so here only 2 SCSI server in the 2 VIOS should be fine.
    What is the best place to have rootvg to the 2 VIOS?I mean on local disks or into SAN?
    Warmest regards,
    marius
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2013-02-25T22:31:23Z  
    Concerning your point about the HMC, it is best to consider both the HMC and the VIOServer as appliances which have certain user interfaces. Don't take this too deeply but just accept what is there. Deeper analysis should be considered of intellectual interest.

In fact, the HMC communicates with the Service Processor on a private LAN. You can find the network addresses on this LAN via the HMC menus. They will typically be 172 or 198 addresses. You should never, ever put anything else on this LAN. That means one or two HMCs (once again, for redundancy) and one or more SRPs.

Turning to the VIOServers. The quantity two is not compulsory but I recommend it in a production environment to provide resilience and failover. Whether this can be done will depend on the system's resources. If your system has internal disks on separate buses then two VIOServers is an excellent idea. In most circumstances, I would prefer to have the rootvg on local disks. This means that they will almost always boot even if you have SAN issues. Of course you probably won't be able to bring the LPARs up if the SAN is down

The whole point about using the VIOServers (Virtual IOServers) is that you do not need 20 physical NICs! Depending on the level of performance you need, one NIC may be adequate. That is one in each VIOServer for redundancy. Remember that we now provide 1 Gb and 10 Gb adapters. If this should be inadequate for your 10 LPARs then you can try a variety of techniques available to emerge one or more adapters to provide higher performance. Note that this will require corresponding facilities at your network switch.

I should also make the same point about access to the SAN by the LPARs. We have NPIV capable fibre Channel adapters which can support many virtual fibre channel paths.