6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-26T18:49:52Z by hskolwal
MarkOrmos
MarkOrmos
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Domain Model (.ddm) data types

‏2013-02-19T11:40:50Z |
Hi,

I´m using a Domain Model (.ddm) to define domains for some columns in a physical data model (.dbm).
However the Domain model does not support some datatypes (especially i am missing GRAPHIC and VARGRAPHIC datatypes), which are standard in the physical data model.
Is there a way to extend the list of 'Base Type' in the domain model?

Thank you for your help!
Best regards
Mark
Updated on 2013-02-26T18:49:52Z at 2013-02-26T18:49:52Z by hskolwal
  • dtc
    dtc
    63 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Domain Model (.ddm) data types

‏2013-02-19T17:12:02Z  in response to MarkOrmos
    The Domain Model enables you to define logical data types. Therefore, the base logical data types it supports are the same as those supported by the Logical Data Model. To define physical data types, you can use Distinct User-Define Type. The base physical data types it supports are the ones supported by the Physical Data Model, including GRAPHIC and VARGRAPHIC.
    • MarkOrmos
      MarkOrmos
      20 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T08:54:38Z  in response to dtc
      I can create a Distinct User-Define Type in the physical data model, but how do I create it in the Domain model?

Thanks for the answer!
      Best regards
      Mark
      • nmullin
        nmullin
        50 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T14:52:41Z  in response to MarkOrmos
        Mark,

Did you try the general tab of the Domain properties view? There is an option 'Transform as', which by default is 'none'. There are two other options: Distinct type and structured type. Perhaps the 'Transform as' is the option that you were looking for.

I included a snapshot of the 'general' tab.

hth
        • MarkOrmos
          MarkOrmos
          20 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T15:38:49Z  in response to nmullin
          Thanks nmullin, I tried that now, but I still can't select the GRAPHIC or VARGRAPHIC datatypes from the Basetype list (see the screenshot in my first post). My goal is to define a domain with one of these datatypes. Is there probably another way to do it?

Thanks for your answer!
          Best regards
          Mark
          • nmullin
            nmullin
            50 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T18:02:40Z  in response to MarkOrmos
            Mark,

like dtc mentioned, the Domain Model enables you to define logical data types. Therefore, the base logical data types are the same as those supported by the Logical Data Model. To my knowledge you cannot change the base logical data types. You can always request an enhancement to IDA to include vargraphic and graphic as a logical data model data types.

As a workaroud, I believe changing the logical to physical data model data type map (transform-->data type map-->logical to physical (select your database of choice) may accomplish what you are looking for. Of course, you want to ensure you change those physical data types that are NOT used as data types in your organization and you select your target database.

This is accomplished in the preferences and should NOT be treated lightly as it is used during transformation.
  • hskolwal
    hskolwal
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-26T18:49:52Z  in response to MarkOrmos
    To add, the NCHAR and NVARCHAR data types in LDM are the closest equivalents of the GRAPHIC and VARGRAPHIC in DB2 PDM. The default data type mapping can be adjusted by user as such.