3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-20T12:35:35Z by TomBanks
hampe98
hampe98
12 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic on change every web application restarts

‏2013-02-19T07:48:38Z |
Hi,

I have a large EAR containing about 1000 jars, mixed EJBs, WAR´s and utility jars running on big WAS today. I´ve tried to run this on Liberty with success but I have one problem and that is that every time I make a change to one of the WARs every WAR is restarted. In this case with my EAR it takes about 98-100 secs so my turnaround isn´t much better that with big WAS.

My question is if this is the intended behavior? I´m running the latest beta.

Regards,
Hampus
  • TomBanks
    TomBanks
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: on change every web application restarts

‏2013-02-19T14:51:56Z  in response to hampe98
    Hi Hampus,

Are all of the WARs that are restarting part of the EAR or are they deployed separately? If they are all part of the same EAR then the Liberty profile will look at the EAR, detect a change within it and restart the entire EAR (including WARs within the EAR) unless the change was to static content.
    • hampe98
      hampe98
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T07:05:07Z  in response to TomBanks
      Hi,

Yes, they are all part of the same EAR and not deployed separately. But it seems kind of unnecessary to restart the entire EAR, why can´t it just restart the single WAR? The roundtrip time for us is quite equal to that of big WAS if not worse. Are there any plans of implementing support for this or perhaps Liberty isn´t targeted for such deployments?

Regards,
      Hampus
      • TomBanks
        TomBanks
        13 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T12:35:35Z  in response to hampe98
        The problem is that when an EAR is deployed on Liberty it is seen as a single application - Liberty assumes that if a non-static part of that application changes that it could impact how it works with the rest of that application and so restarts the application (scanning the application to determine which parts impact others to determine what to restart isn't currently supported in Liberty, nor is restarting part of an application).

The way around this would be to deploy the WARs separately on Liberty as opposed to being within one EAR (which is fully supported by Liberty). This means that all of the WARs would be viewed as separate applications and changes to one would only cause that WAR to be restarted.

Please feel free to open a feature request to have WARs within an EAR treated separately on Liberty here - by raising it as a feature request we will be able to determine the demand for the feature which can influence our future development plans.