Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-21T01:23:50Z by F7QD_Nicolas_Echavarria
F7QD_Nicolas_Echavarria
59 Posts

Pinned topic How to change the custom date of an already started int. timer event?

‏2013-02-15T17:37:20Z |
Hello forum!

We are working on a process that depends on a future date.
The process is a sequence of intermediate timer events that acts as "delays" for activities that take place once the timer gates open. (Send email, create task, etc.)
All the timers depend on a date variable.

On that same process we have an ad-hoc activity that allows the user to modify/update the date variable that the timers rely upon.

For example, a timer is scheduled to fire 30 minutes before the set date, in this case 10:00am, so the time will fire at 9:30am. But, the problem arrives if the timer has already been started and we change the time variable to 9:45am... the timer that has already started does not take into account the change as it started when the variable was set to 10:00am

So, our question is:
What's the approach to take here if we need the timers to constantly "check" if the date has changed and act accordingly?

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Best,

Nicolas E.
Updated on 2013-02-21T01:23:50Z at 2013-02-21T01:23:50Z by F7QD_Nicolas_Echavarria
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

Re: How to change the custom date of an already started int. timer event?

‏2013-02-15T21:36:38Z  
    If you know the ID of the timer, there is an API to allow you to reschedule it. However it seems like you have multiple timers and if they have different rules it is going to get really annoying to manager. The one thing I would check out. I think you can tell a timer to trigger on "A custom date" and give it a date variable. I thought that if you then updated the date variable in the BPD the timer would honor this.

It should be fairly easy for you to test that out. If it works you just need a date variable for each of your timers and a service the will calculate those. Then call those after the ad hoc change to the date.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-02-15T21:36:39Z  
    If you know the ID of the timer, there is an API to allow you to reschedule it. However it seems like you have multiple timers and if they have different rules it is going to get really annoying to manager. The one thing I would check out. I think you can tell a timer to trigger on "A custom date" and give it a date variable. I thought that if you then updated the date variable in the BPD the timer would honor this.

It should be fairly easy for you to test that out. If it works you just need a date variable for each of your timers and a service the will calculate those. Then call those after the ad hoc change to the date.

• F7QD_Nicolas_Echavarria
    59 Posts

‏2013-02-21T01:23:50Z  

Hello Andrew!

Thanks a lot for your time and response!
    Well, our timers are configured to trigger on a variable and we are not getting the results we expect.
    We expect that if we change a variable the timer would "reschedule" and trigger at the new set date variable.

However, as we've analyzed the situation once a timer is "started" the variable is "loaded" into the timer and the timer pays no attention to the date variable managed in the process.
    Now, all the timers that have NOT been started before the date variable is changed operate with the new date variable.

Do you know if there's a way for this "expected" behavior to happen?

Now, thinking of an alternative we've added some "new" timers after the ad-hoc process changes the date variable. This option however leaves the "outdated" running timers running and the activities that happen after those as well. So... not a very nice workaround.
    What do you think?

Cheers,

Nicolas E.