Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-11T00:07:05Z by Lhasadad
donsq1
donsq1
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Command Automation problem

‏2013-02-15T16:25:36Z |
Can't seem to run Command Automation on Windows 7 and Vista machines. No matter what the command, I receive an error "Required service not available on system <machine_name>". Can't seem to find anything in the documentation on what the 'required service' is. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks.
Updated on 2013-03-11T00:07:05Z at 2013-03-11T00:07:05Z by Lhasadad
  • Lhasadad
    Lhasadad
    108 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Command Automation problem

‏2013-02-16T17:08:05Z  in response to donsq1
    Command Automation Requires the common agent. do you have that installed and discovered on those endpoints?
    • donsq1
      donsq1
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-19T13:43:24Z  in response to Lhasadad
      Yes.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13279 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T01:37:17Z  in response to donsq1
        Per the InfoCenter (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.plan.helps.doc/fqm0_r_os_supported_by_ibm_director_632.html), Windows 7 is not a supported OS. The only editions of Vista that are supported are Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions.

I haven't tested this, but would look at either Global Policy or UAC as having an impact.

You don't mention what command you are trying to run, but I have much better luck running 'cmd.exe /c mycommand.exe' rather than just running my command.

--
        Craig Elliott
        IBM Advanced Technical Skills
        • donsq1
          donsq1
          6 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T20:08:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks Craig. Using that format seems to work for my 2003 servers. Now I am getting an 'has completed with Other error-61440' when trying to run the same Command on the Windows 7 and Vista machines. I turned off UAC on the machine I am testing with and there is no group policy applied.

Thanks
          Don
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            13279 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T16:54:29Z  in response to donsq1
            I haven't tried to manage a desktop OS in a long, long time. I seem to recall there were some OS requirements -- file and print sharing had to be enabled, or something like that -- to make this work. The requirements should be documented in the InfoCenter. Sorry I don't have a link handy.

----
            Craig Elliott
            IBM Advanced Technical Skills
  • donsq1
    donsq1
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-04T16:58:02Z  in response to donsq1
    I think I'm getting closer. I switched to using a Windows 2008 Server machine. When running the command, it is timing out. I am trying to run a batch file (cmd) using the format 'cmd.exe /c <batch file with path>'. I can see the cmd.exe* process start in the list of processes within Task Manager, however it does not actually run the batch file. I suspect it is related to UAC. Any ideas on what is blocking or what to change on the server to allow the cmd batch file to be run via Director would be helpful.

Thanks
    Don
    • Lhasadad
      Lhasadad
      108 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-11T00:07:05Z  in response to donsq1
      What is the batch file doing? The timeout would indicate that something was hanging up the batch file so that it can not complete. Are you running the command with a particular userid specified? Is it an Admin or regular id?