Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-15T21:42:02Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1632 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM Data Studio Version 3.2 - java runtime error -> java.lang.NullPointerEx

‏2013-02-14T22:06:28Z |
I have IBM Data Studio Version 3.2 (32 bit version on windows)

I have configured connection to DB2 V9 on zOS (through a db2 gateway server).

Issuing ad-hoc SQL works fine in all cases except .... one sql statement gives me a unexpected java runtime error from the IBM Data Studio V32 client (It is clearly not a message from the mainframe db2 db)

*'select * from sysibm.systablespacestats' has encountered a problem*

*An internal error occurred during: "select * from sysibm.systablespacestats".*
java.lang.NullPointerException

I can repeat the problem consistently from my workstation and another workstaion (also with IBM Data Studio v32)

Oddly, from another workstaiton with IBM Dat Studio V311, the same query will work.

Is this a problem with my installation of IBM Data Studio V32?
Obviously, this is not a big deal but I wanted to post here so IBM would know ...and maybe someone would recognize the problem and tell me I am doing something silly.
Updated on 2013-02-15T21:42:02Z at 2013-02-15T21:42:02Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM Data Studio Version 3.2 - java runtime error -> java.lang.NullPointerEx

‏2013-02-15T18:49:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Brian,

First off, thanks for bringing this to our attention. NPEs are never fun and feedback like this goes a long way in improving the product.

I see that you can reproduce the problem consistently in your environment. In that case, the best way to proceed would be for us to take a look
    at the stack trace which will quickly help us narrow down the problem. Would you be able to send this across as a private message so that we can tackle problem determination offline and update the forum with relevant findings/resolution.

Thanks,
    Vinod
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-15T21:26:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Brian,

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like a colleague was already looking into this and figured it out be a bug in the previous release. We've already fixed this in the current code stream and it will be available in the next release. If you have an urgent need for a patch that fixes this problem before the next release, please contact IBM support.

Thanks,
    Vinod
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1632 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-15T21:42:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Again, thank you for your prompt response.
      This is not a urgent problem for me.

But I am attempting to roll out IBM data studio to several developers in my shop. Version 3.1.1 seems more stable. But I like the enhancements in Version 3.2.

Can I ask for a estimate on the next release of IBM data studio? days... weeks... months...?