Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-22T17:04:33Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
515 Posts

Pinned topic Problems with establishing Out of Band connections to Brocade from TPC 4.2

‏2013-02-14T20:58:23Z |
I am missing something here, but I don't know what.
As a reference doc, I have referred to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/tivoli/library/t-switchts/ , (Configure switches successfully for IBM TotalStorage Productivity Center for Fabric). It is an old document, but the author, Johanna Hislop confirms that the information in it is correct.
I have also use the IBM TPC User's Guide.

I am trying to set up out of band communication because I do not currently have a proxy server available.

We have TPC 4.2.2.78 on an RHEL 5.5 server.
I am trying to connect to Brocade 48000 FC switches.

There is not a lot to do wrong on the TPC side. I have entered the IP Address and the Community Strings of the switch.

For the switch setup, I have used Johanna's doc to list and verify requirements:

================================================
<Switch_Name>:admin> snmpConfig --show snmpv1

SNMPv1 community and trap recipient configuration:
//...//
Community 4: <SomeString> (ro)
Trap recipient: 10.IPV.4.add (of TPC HOST)
Trap port: 162
Trap recipient Severity level: 3
GOT it: ?AuthTrapsEnabled is not a required option, but can be set.
<Switch_Name>:admin> snmpConfig --show systemGroup
sysDescr = <Switch_Name>
sysLocation = <secret_undisclosed_loc>
sysContact = Infrastructure
authTraps = 1 (ON)

GOT it: ?FE-MIB
GOT it: ?FA-MIB
GOT it: ?FA-TRAP or GOT it: SW-TRAP

<Switch_Name>:admin> snmpConfig --show mibCapability
FE-MIB: YES
SW-MIB: YES
FA-MIB: YES
//...//
SW-TRAP: YES
swFault: YES
swSensorScn: YES
swFCPortScn: YES
swEventTrap: YES
DesiredSeverity:None
swFabricWatchTrap: YES
DesiredSeverity:None
swTrackChangesTrap: YES
swIPv6ChangeTrap: YES
swPmgrEventTrap: YES
swFabricReconfigTrap: NO
swFabricSegmentTrap: NO
swExtTrap: NO
FA-TRAP: YES
connUnitStatusChange: YES
connUnitDeletedTrap: YES
connUnitEventTrap: YES
connUnitSensorStatusChange: YES
connUnitPortStatusChange: YES

I found that ports 161 and 162 were closed in the firewall and I have gotten that corrected.
Am I overlooking something?

George Huebschman
Updated on 2013-02-22T17:04:33Z at 2013-02-22T17:04:33Z by SystemAdmin
  • JohannaHislop
    JohannaHislop
    121 Posts

Re: Problems with establishing Out of Band connections to Brocade from TPC 4.2

‏2013-02-14T21:20:13Z  
    George,
    Have you looked at the SNMP ACL on the switch?

snmpconfig --show accessControl

If nothing is configured, it should allow any host to query the switch via SNMP. If anything entries are configured, then make sure it includes the TPC server host. If you continue to have trouble with nothing configured, you may want to try setting an entry there for the TPC server host. I have had a case in the past with a Brocade switch that did not respond as it should unless there was an explicit entry.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    515 Posts

‏2013-02-15T22:35:14Z  
    George,
    Have you looked at the SNMP ACL on the switch?

snmpconfig --show accessControl

If nothing is configured, it should allow any host to query the switch via SNMP. If anything entries are configured, then make sure it includes the TPC server host. If you continue to have trouble with nothing configured, you may want to try setting an entry there for the TPC server host. I have had a case in the past with a Brocade switch that did not respond as it should unless there was an explicit entry.
    Somehow I overlook posting that.
    Yes, initially the ACL was 0.0.0.0 for entries 3, 4, and 5.
    I added the TCP server IP as entry 3 as ReadOnly.
  • JohannaHislop
    JohannaHislop
    121 Posts

‏2013-02-20T20:28:59Z  
    Somehow I overlook posting that.
    Yes, initially the ACL was 0.0.0.0 for entries 3, 4, and 5.
    I added the TCP server IP as entry 3 as ReadOnly.
    George,
    It seems like you've hit the basics for configuring this. For deeper investigation as to what's causing this to not work as expected, I would suggest that you open a PMR with IBM support.

I would also suggest pursuing the SMI Agent only installation option of Brocade Network Advisor so that you can configure that with TPC as a CIMOM agent. That will enable full function with your fabrics in TPC and is the preferred primary agent type.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    515 Posts

‏2013-02-22T17:04:33Z  
    George,
    It seems like you've hit the basics for configuring this. For deeper investigation as to what's causing this to not work as expected, I would suggest that you open a PMR with IBM support.

I would also suggest pursuing the SMI Agent only installation option of Brocade Network Advisor so that you can configure that with TPC as a CIMOM agent. That will enable full function with your fabrics in TPC and is the preferred primary agent type.
    Thanks Johanna. You have been very helpful. I appreciate it.
    I have downloaded the IBM version of Network Advisor. I am working on getting a linux vm for a proxy.

You are a very valuable resource. Thanks again for your help.