Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-18T16:15:42Z by Richard_Burke
Richard_Burke
Richard_Burke
12 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Dependency tool missing on some diagrams when using Rhapsody in C 7.6.1

‏2013-02-14T15:13:45Z |
Hi,
We are using Rhapsody with the FunctionalC profile. I would like to be able to place a requirement on a diagram and link the requirement to an element on the diagram with the dependency icon in the Diagram Tools selection. This works OK on Activity, Use Case and File Diagrams but not on FlowChart or Message diagrams. However I can still add a dependency from model elements in these diagrams to requirements via the Model Browser.

Is there a reason for this behaviour? Is there a way to show the Dependency icon in the toolbox for these diagrams?

Thanks,
Richard
Updated on 2013-02-28T13:28:37Z at 2013-02-28T13:28:37Z by Richard_Burke
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1305 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Dependency tool missing on some diagrams when using Rhapsody in C 7.6.1

‏2013-02-14T15:33:49Z  in response to Richard_Burke
    I'm more or less new to Rhapsody, but from what I understood the Anchors shall be used create traceability between requirements and other model elements. They should be available in all diagrams. If you open the properties dialog of the requirement you can also see a list of the anchored elements.

I did a quick search and found that IBM document giving more information about dealing with requirements, there is a short statement about anchors on page 30.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rhaphlp/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.rhapsody.oem.pdf.doc/pdf/Coupling%20Rhapsody.pdf
    • Richard_Burke
      Richard_Burke
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-14T18:17:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks for the quick response. I had read this document and it didn't really help with my question. I know how to add dependencies in the model browser but in my opinion it would be easier to be able to put the requirement on the drawing and then use the Dependency tool. I have attached an example to show what I mean; the statechart has the Dependency tool (ringed in red), the flowchart doesn't.

There may be some means to enable the tool in the myriad of Rhapsody setup options but I don't know ehre to look or if it's even possible.

Regards,
      Richard
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1305 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-15T07:41:23Z  in response to Richard_Burke
        Hello Richard,

I think I understood your point. Anchors are also a graphicla element, so you can show the link between your model elements and requirements directly in the diagram.

In the tutorial they are using mostly dependencies to do the link, as you do. I found this document:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rhaphlp/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.rhapsody.oem.pdf.doc/pdf/Best%20Practices.pdf

It says that both, Anchors or Dependencies can be used to do the make the link, but Dependencies seem recommended (page 10). Maybe it's possible to use Anchors on the diagrams where Dependencies are not available... just in case that there is no way to add them to all diagrams.
        • shanz9903
          shanz9903
          268 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-15T09:38:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Yes I agree, I think anchors are a last resort.
          The dependencies associated with Requirements are
          <<derive>>
          <<satisfy>>
          <<verify>> (for tests)
          <<decompose>>
          <<trace>>

trace is a catch-all, a bit like an anchor.
  • Richard_Burke
    Richard_Burke
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T13:28:37Z  in response to Richard_Burke
    Thanks for responding. One of the things I am looking at is the Hyperlinks and Anchors Wizard that is part of the Harmony package. This might make life easier and I will update this thread with the results if it proves useful. Is anybody else using this tool?

Regards,
    Richard
    • Richard_Burke
      Richard_Burke
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-18T16:15:42Z  in response to Richard_Burke

An update on this. The Hyperlinks and Anchors Wizard works well although somebody at IBM really needs to sort out the UI (text not fitting on buttons etc). The tool runs in parallel with Rhapsody and allows you to quickly set up links by clicking the items in the Rhapsody model and clicking buttons in the wizard to select the source and the target.

This wizard lives in the Harmony toolkit which is normally installed in a folder at the same level as the Rhapsody Share folder.

Regards,
      Richard