Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-14T03:37:19Z by aronsok
aronsok
aronsok
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic install emacs on Linux

‏2013-02-13T22:51:53Z |
i've been searching high and low for an installation guide on how to install emacs on Linux. I found the gnu linux site and downloaded emacs-24.2. I decompressed and ran ./configure --without-x as root. Yet, I cannot run emacs. what is missing? I have searched high and low for the install manual, but can't find one. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Updated on 2013-02-14T03:37:19Z at 2013-02-14T03:37:19Z by aronsok
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: install emacs on Linux

‏2013-02-14T01:45:29Z  in response to aronsok
    Emacs is usually pre-built on most Linux distributions. Look for a menu choice to install software or something similar. Look for the topics 102.5 and 102.5 at our LPI roadmap (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lpic1-v3-map/) for some useful tips. If you can't figure it out from that, please post back and tell us what Linux you are running as that helps us figure out what package management tools to point you to.

Ian Shields.
    • aronsok
      aronsok
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: install emacs on Linux

‏2013-02-14T03:37:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      This is Red Hat v5.x on a VM. I searched for emacs in "system --> administration" and it wasn't there. Next I tried "yum install emacs" as root and this did not work.
      i got this:

This system is not registered with RHN.
      RHN support will be disabled.
      Setting up Install Process
      No package emacs available.
      Nothing to do

So next, I found emacs on the Linux gnu emacs site and downloaded the .gz file but I cannot find install instructions on that site. So I am stumped. Am I looking in the right places? Why doesn't "yum" work?