Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-14T11:28:27Z by robinsguk
robinsguk
robinsguk
46 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Version WPAR 5.2 and restoring non-rootvg data

‏2013-02-13T17:27:58Z |
Hello,

AIX 7.1 TL2 SP01

I've created a vwpar using my AIX 5.2 mksysb.

I now need to restore all the data from the datavg volume group.

My intention was to use restvg from the savevg I'm currently running. However, I've just discovered that the vwpar won't process mkvg commands. Obvious when you think about it.

I still have a few more hours until my savevg completes but will the vwpar be able to process the data and restore it or do I need to use some other method to restore the data in datavg to my vwpar?

Thanks

Glenn
Updated on 2013-02-14T11:28:27Z at 2013-02-14T11:28:27Z by robinsguk
  • nagger
    nagger
    342 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Version WPAR 5.2 and restoring non-rootvg data

‏2013-02-14T09:37:00Z  in response to robinsguk
    You need to add the data to the to the global copy of AIX and then simply mount it into your Versioned WPAR. Simplest way is to mount it in to the global /wpars/my_vwpar/data
    assuming your VWPAR name is called my_vwpar.

This is so quick and simple most people don't realise it.

This assumes the VG has file systems in it.
    If it does then savevg is not a good way to move it to the new machine as it assumes a VG and disks and you really want just the files. In which case you could NFS mount and copy using the double tar trick: cd to source dir then: tar f - . | (cd targetdir; tar cf- )

If your savevg has raw disks then you have a heap of problems and I would suggest moving to files.

Hope this helps, cheers Nigel Griffiths
    • robinsguk
      robinsguk
      46 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Version WPAR 5.2 and restoring non-rootvg data

‏2013-02-14T11:28:27Z  in response to nagger
      Thanks Nigel, got it.

I was expecting (hoping) that I could use the scripts I normally use to clean up and recreate VGs etc after creating an LPAR from a mksysb.

I created the new file systems manually at the global level, this makes absolute sense now.

My savevg file is 300GB but I was still able to use this with the restore command within the wpar.

Thanks

Glenn