Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-14T22:34:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3234 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Soooo frustrated...needing help plz

‏2013-02-13T01:19:57Z |
I'm needing help as I'm about ready to throw this thing out the window.
Alright, I have a Bladecenter (8852?) populated with 13 blades. I have the AMM configured and can get to it from my network (lab setup). I also have two cisco 3110g's in slots 1 & 2 & two nortel 6 port 1gbe in slots 3 & 4...all with management ip's that I can get to externally. So far I've only imaged two blades, one with esxi & one with windows 08 r2 sp1.
The blades can ping each other, but neither of the blades can ping any of the management ports. I assume they should be able to, yes?
I had been trying to set up trunking between the i/o modules and my up stream switch, but since I can't even ping, I don't think that will help.
I've updated the AMM firmware, and drivers on the windows box for the nic's (showing 4).

If anyone has any questions, I sure would appreciate some help.

Thanks

J
Updated on 2013-03-14T22:34:29Z at 2013-03-14T22:34:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • an_ibm_user
    an_ibm_user
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Soooo frustrated...needing help plz

‏2013-02-20T19:12:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    When you set a management IP for a switch module in the AMM, the AMM arps that address on its ethernet port. The IP you choose for a switch module must be in the same subnet as the AMM. Depending on the rest of your network, that subnet which the AMM and switch management IPs live in may or may not be routed/accessible from the subnet which the blades are in.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      3234 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-04T20:29:35Z  in response to an_ibm_user
      Everything is on the same subnet. I determined that we had some fundamental networking issues, but I have those resolved now. I have the i/o switch module pinging out to the internet. The problem I have now (and have had) is the blades themselves cannot talk to the i/o switch. I have the external ports "enabled". But that is not working. There must be some other well hidden check box that I'm missing. The i/o module is factory reset with the exception of the few networking things to trunk them, default gateway, etc. The 2/0/1 port (for blade #1) should automatically talk to the 2/0/15 (external port), right?

Let me know what I'm missing here.

Thanks
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        3234 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T07:16:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        By default, "mgmt" of the switch is separated from the production traffic of the blades.

Consider it this way....
        blade traffic will traverse the switch and go out the External ports of the I/O Module.
        The Mgmt interface of the I/O Module is actually going to traverse via the aMM network interface port by default.
        There is no connectivity between the blade ports and the aMM, so hence, the blades are not seeing the mgmt interface as configured right now.

A common theme in the design is that mgmt traffic and production traffic are typically handled on two different networks. You can re-configure the switch modules to present the IP interface elsewhere on the I/O Module, but what you're seeing is a 'working as designed'.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          3234 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T16:49:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks for the reply. But I am past this problem. I did find in one of the manuals that it stated the AMM does not talk directly to the blades.

The problem I have now, is the blades cannot talk or see the i/o switch. I have "enable external ports" turned on, but I'm not seeing any other option. From the CLI on the i/o switch, I can ping all the way out to the internet. However I cannot ping the blades.

Thanks
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            3234 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T18:16:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Right, because by default, the mgmt traffic of the I/O switch modules were traverse through the aMM connection.
            That means that the I/O Modules and the aMM need to be on the same network. The path would then be:
            I/O Switch -> aMM -> thru it's 100Mbit port to your datacenter -> from your datacenter to the external ports of the I/O Module -> to your blade.

What you're probably looking for is "external management over all ports", would allow the switch to be responsive on an interface other than the one associated with the aMM.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-14T22:34:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    For the Cisco 3110s have you logged in to the switch management and verified that the internal ports are enabled and have link? If they aren't, that is your huckleberry right there.