• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-05T13:47:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6184 Posts

Pinned topic Limit the content of map trace file

‏2013-02-12T12:42:19Z |
Hi,

I am very new to WTX, so I am sorry if this query sound like stupid.

We are facing a problem when we are validating a big message (25K-30K)line. In case message is invalid it is generating a trace file of around 700MB. We need to read this trace file to generate a failure report. Because of huge size of trace file this process is taking too much time.

Is there any way to limit the content of trace file, So that only invalid or failure information get print instead of whole trace. I have tried configuring Input Content trace option but it turned off whole trace.

Or if there is way we can limit the size of trace file so that after particular size it will create a new file that will also help.

Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2013-03-05T13:47:29Z at 2013-03-05T13:47:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

Re: Limit the content of map trace file

‏2013-02-12T14:46:21Z  
    700MB for a 30KB file doesn't sound right. What kind of input file is it?

How are you configuring the trace file? In the Map settings or execution command setting?

What are your trace options? Is it set to append? (-T+ in command line.) Input for more than one card? Rules trace?

How your type tree is defined makes a big difference? Do you have Identifiers defined for each record?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

‏2013-03-05T08:17:55Z  
    700MB for a 30KB file doesn't sound right. What kind of input file is it?

How are you configuring the trace file? In the Map settings or execution command setting?

What are your trace options? Is it set to append? (-T+ in command line.) Input for more than one card? Rules trace?

How your type tree is defined makes a big difference? Do you have Identifiers defined for each record?
    I am very new to WTX. Can anyone explain me RUN map function please.. Any documentation you have will help
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

‏2013-03-05T13:47:29Z  
    Hi,

what you need is not the trace, but the data audit.

The trace shows all the validation process, while the Data Audit is configured about the objects you're interested in, and when to report them.

The difference is huge, as the audit will tell you the actual status of a piece of data, while the trace tells you if it is valid in a given context, but being invalid may not mean the data is wrong (it could for example be that there are two possibilities in one place, and the data is "invalid" for the first option becaus eit is of the second possible type)

Status in the data audit are documented (see map designer manual)

If the file is 25000-30000 lines, then the trace size doesn't look so abnormal, if it's 25-30k bytes, then it may be way too big, which could raise questions about the type tree.

The RUN function (as all other functions) is documented in the "functions and expressions" manual