SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1086 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Remote Preprocessors: Error Feedback

‏2013-02-12T08:58:02Z |
Hi together,

I am working on RDz 8.5.1.
I have defined a remote preprocessor (a Rexx on z, which invokes a generator and puts back the output).
This works fine and RDz merges the original and the generated source in a perfect way.

But: What happens if the preprocessor runs on an error? E.g. can't interprete some lines of code?
As it is a common z software, it produces a SYSPRINT file, which could be reformatted to XML or something else.

How can I feed RDz with this file? - In the settings for local preprocessors, there is a field for XML error feedback, for remote processors not! ... How can I proceed to merge the remote preprocessor error messages back into RDz and merged with other COBOL errors?

Even the "sample code walk through" in the RDz documentation has just a sample for local preprocessors...

Any Tipps orexperiences?

Thanks,
Ingo
Updated on 2013-03-12T13:00:57Z at 2013-03-12T13:00:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Remote Preprocessors: Error Feedback

‏2013-02-18T07:05:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello out-there...

Noboday has an answer, clue, tipp or hint for me?

Ingo
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-18T12:18:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Ingo

What I have done was to write a postprocessor that runs after the last step that appends its output to the standard RDz ErrorFeedback, in your case, reformat the preprocessor messages into the RDz ErrorFeedback format. Although this new format is not "well-formed XML", it is tolerated by the RDz ErrFdbk processor (at least for earlier RDz versions).

Regards

Tony
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T07:45:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Tony,

thanks for the idea - that we have also discussed to do. But we think, there should be a more integrated way, as it is supported for local preprocessors as well... But if not, we have to write such kind of a post - processor.

Thx,
    Ingo
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1086 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T13:14:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Ingo

Another possibility is to activate the Error Feedback checkbox for the preprocessor -> this generates the SYSXMLSD file into which you can write your messages.

Regards

Tony
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T14:32:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Tony,

would be nice - but I don't have the checkbox for remote preprocessors - see attached screenshot
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T14:34:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    And just to clarify:

• we run RDz 8.5.1
    • we are talking about the preprocessor activation for real-time syntax check.

Cheers,
    Ingo
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1086 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T17:30:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Ingo

Thanks for the clarification. The procedure I explained concerns the use of ErrorFeedback for build compilation jobs.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-12T13:00:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Looks, like we are the first guys who want to implement errorfeedback for real time syntax check with remote preprocessors... There we go.
  • TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
    TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-10T19:44:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin

So for the "Identify Preprocessor Statements" using a remote preprocessor as configured in the Property Group, if i recall correctly it is true that if the preprocessor output file is not generated or downloaded due to either the preprocessor error or an error with the rexx script, i don't think any notification is given to the user that something went wrong from within the IDE, and that would make a good improvement.

The error feedback mechanism is involved in the Local or Remote Syntax Check process, and at the moment this mechanism plays no role in the Identify Preprocessor Statements behavior.

I am not sure if running Remote Syntax Check with the Error Feedback enabled will satisfy what you need, but it may be a start.  The Error Feedback mechanism can be used to report errors in terms of your custom syntax, while the Real-time syntax checking will only report errors in terms of the translated cobol or pl/i output.

• IngoP
      IngoP
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-13T07:27:41Z  in response to TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker

Remoty syntax check is no solution for us.

The solution, which is meanwhile implemented:

The remote preprocessor runs fine and the generated code is put back into the code fine.

In any case of errors (and appropiate messages) we put the error output (SYSPRINT) of the remote preprocessor into the generated source file (instead the not-properly-generated code). -> The developer see the complete code marked as changed from generator and a mouse over gives him full acces to all error messages from the remote preprocessor.

Cheers,

Ingo

• 7902_John_McAvenue
        7902_John_McAvenue
        18 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T10:04:37Z  in response to IngoP

Hi Ingo

We too require to make use of pre-processor integration. We are just starting out with this and not as fard down the road as you are so I don't have an answer to your question. Your last post interested me though. You seem to be saying that mouse over on a pre-processor statement in the RDz editor shows you the output from your pre-processor process (either the generated COBOL ot the error listing your pre-processor generates). In my limited expereince we see a black verticle line in the RDz editor indicating there is some pre-processor generated code lurking beneath but mouse over does not seem to show the pre-processor generated code.

Perhaps I've misunderstood you?

If you do have this working and mouse over shows you the udnerlying pre-processor generated COBOl can you let me know how you have activated this feature.

Thanks and regards

John

• IngoP
          IngoP
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T13:00:52Z  in response to 7902_John_McAvenue

Hi John,

You understood me right. Since RDz V8.5.1 it is possible to hoover on a piece of source with generated code behind (still marked with a vertical line) and Rdz will show the generated code - Similar to the function if you hoover on a copybook, which shows you the copybook content.

In both cases it is also possible to press "F2" to fix this  hoover inormation on the screen for scrolling.

I am not aware of any special activation of this feature, but I know, that you need a current RDz version...

Cheers,

Ingo

• RavikanthChavali
            RavikanthChavali
            15 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-01T02:17:35Z  in response to IngoP

Interesting! I couldnt find where the"Identify Preprocessor Statements" option is..

• IngoP
              IngoP
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-08T12:03:38Z  in response to RavikanthChavali

Which version of RDz do you use?

"Standard" Way is: right click on a open source member, choose >Source<, choose >Preprocessor statements<... and you will find all related information and option.

FYI: Preprocessor information are stored in property groups. Therefore, this is a second way to get the information.

Cheers,

Ingo

• RavikanthChavali
                RavikanthChavali
                15 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-09T01:42:50Z  in response to IngoP

v8.5.1

Thank you! I did execute those menu items. In my case Once the preprocessor is executed. And if I mouse over, it shows the underlying pre-processor generated COBOL statements. However the Synaxt error's are still showing up and the parser fails(regardless of local/remote) syntax check.

Did you execute the preprocessor as step under Procedures and Steps property page? In which would the xml tags be retrieved for the right step/procedure?

• IngoP
                  IngoP
                  10 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-09T08:58:15Z  in response to RavikanthChavali

I am confused.

Normal syntax errors are not effected by the preprocessors. Or do you mean, that preprocessor generated variables are not reflected?

I do not use the preprocessor for local nor remote syntax check, but only real time syntax check. Therefore I have no Steps to define in property groups XML.