Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-13T14:43:28Z by rbwright
BaltoSteve
BaltoSteve
30 Posts

Pinned topic Step-by-step instructions for running tools?

‏2013-02-11T22:34:08Z |
Are there any step-by-step instructions for running tools in ISA v5 b2? Something like F1 Help? I'm not having much success with any of the server-based tools and I can't find guidelines on how to run them. Maybe I'm simply doing something wrong.

Steve Gorham, Baltimore
Updated on 2013-02-13T14:43:28Z at 2013-02-13T14:43:28Z by rbwright
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    227 Posts

Re: Step-by-step instructions for running tools?

‏2013-02-13T14:43:28Z  
    Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you're asking about how in general to run the different tool editions (i.e., web, report, and desktop) in ISA 5 or if you're looking for details about each tool, so I'll address both.

Documentation about individual tools varies from extensive to quite light. The reason for this disparity is that PD tools are provided by multiple sources from funded projects to an individual working on a side project. Generally you want to find documentation from the Tools tab. There you'll find some summary information about each tool including a description, the types of files consumed, applicable problem types, usage restrictions, etc. There's also a "Tool Help" button at the top of each tool entry on the Tools tab. Clicking "Tool Help" opens the ISA Help at the location where the tool documentation starts.

I've found that we have a fair amount of documentation about the different types of tools, but not necessarily how to run the tools. Basically there are 3 different methods for running tools based on tool type.

• Launch from the Problem Analysis context menu on the Files tab (report generators, web tools)
    • Launch from the Tools tab (report generators, web tools, and desktop tools)
    • Re-launch from the Reports tab (report generators)

Context menu on the Files tab

Server based tools (i.e., report generators and web tools) are available from the context menu.

On the Files tab you can click and ctrl-click to select one or more files or folders and then right-click to open the context menu. Hover over the "Problem Analysis" item to see a list of which tools are applicable to those files. Hover over the name of a tool to see a tooltip popup with a bit of information about the tool. When you choose a tool from the "Problem Analysis" menu a dialog will open showing you a list of the files you selected along with any tool-specific input parameters. Click Submit after providing any additional input parameters.

If the tool you selected is a report generator then check the notification messages near the top of your browser for status about the request to run the tool. Then click the Reports tab to view the report. You may need to click the refresh icon at the top right of the list of reports.

If the tool you selected is a web tool, currently just Memory Analyzer Web Edition, then when you click Submit on the popup dialog a new browser tab or window will open to start a session with the tool.

Tools tab

The server based tools and desktop tools are available from the Tools tab.

To run a tool, select it from the list on the left. When you select a tool the details about it open in a panel on the right. Refer to the details to help determine if the tool you selected is applicable for the problem at hand. Next click the Launch button at the top of the details pane. A dialog opens that looks the same as if you had selected it from the context menu except that there's a Browse button to let you pick the file(s)/folder(s) you want to analyze. When you click Submit the behavior is the same as if you had launched the tool from the context menu.

If you selected a desktop tool then the popup dialog contains a message about the behavior of desktop tools. When you click Submit the process for downloading and running the tool on your desktop begins.

Reports tab

When you run a report generator its report is available from the Reports tab. When you choose a report there are 4 icons displayed above the report contents: one of those is a relaunch button. When you relaunch a report generator the behavior is the same as when launching it from the context menu or the Tools tab.

Here are some resources to find out more about problem determination tools with ISA 5:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/1208_supauth/1208_supauth.html?lnk=uctug_ibmesa_dw_2012-08-09_link_to_supauth_from_isa_easy_support_blog#sec3
    Problem Determination Tools in IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Beta 2
    How to Install and Update Problem Determination Tools in IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Beta 2

Regards,
    Russell Wright
    Updated on 2013-02-13T14:43:28Z at 2013-02-13T14:43:28Z by rbwright