Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-13T21:38:33Z by DanielWagemann
Scottyj
Scottyj
42 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Report Studio 10 runtime issue with micro charts

‏2013-02-11T17:05:06Z |
We are using Cognos 10.1.1 against a cognos powercube. I have a simple crosstab in Report Studiot with 7 rows and 3 columns. I've added three additional columns that I plan to add micro charts to. I've added micro charts to each cell in the crosstab but when I run the report it takes over a minute to render and then the screen hangs when I hover over a micro chart. Thinking there might be a problem in my queries or charts I started eliminating charts to see if I could improve the run times. Each test I removed 3 micro charts and runtime improve 5 - 10 sec. When all micro charts were removed, run time was 4 seconds to render the crosstab report. Since the micro charts seem to be the problme, does anyone know how to improve run time with the micro charts included? Sorry for the long winded question but I wanted to give you all the facts ahead of time.
Thanks!
Updated on 2013-02-13T21:38:33Z at 2013-02-13T21:38:33Z by DanielWagemann
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Report Studio 10 runtime issue with micro charts

‏2013-02-12T15:28:34Z  in response to Scottyj
    If you use same query both for chart and cross tab, it might be better to create separate query only for chart.
    In most cases, it is better to create separate query for the chart to avoid side effects....
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-13T13:30:52Z  in response to Scottyj
    I would start off by seeing if this is actually the type of chart you are using or the charting engine itself.

Leaving the query structure in place. Remove the micro chart and add in the same number of bar charts using the advanced charting engine. Does it affect performance the same way?

If yes, try doing the same test using the legacy charting engine. Does it affect the performance the same way?

If yes, then it maybe your query structure.

If no, then it maybe your GraphicsServer... maybe its procesess and threading model needs to be updated.
    • Scottyj
      Scottyj
      42 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-13T16:39:14Z  in response to DanielWagemann
      Thanks for the excellent ideas Daniel. Since first asking the question I've come up with this additional information. The rendering time I gave is from when I run the report within Report Studio. When I run the report from Cognos Connection, it renders is less than 8 sec. and no screen hang. Wow! Why does Report Studio take so long to render a report? Shouldn't it be the same as when we run it from Cognos Connection?
      I will try your suggestions just to see what the results turn out like.
      • DanielWagemann
        DanielWagemann
        850 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-13T21:38:33Z  in response to Scottyj
        The run from within IBM Cognos Report Studio versus just the viewer from within Cognos Connection is a different SDK call. Don't quote me on it but I think the report studio call is prefixed with RS_. But that being said, I don't think I have ever seen a significant performance difference between the two in a healthy environment.

If you are absolutely sure that your CC run is running the report, not just the latest output. (Property set on the report object), then I think you will be OK as I assume your user community would be consuming the report through CC anyway.