• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-29T15:31:21Z by shaurya123
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1959 Posts

Pinned topic Problem rendering Cognos 10 reports in iFrame

‏2013-02-11T15:45:34Z |
Hello,

I am new to Cognos. We are trying to get our application to render Cognos 10 reports in iFrame. We have just recently upgraded from Cognos 8 to Cognos 10.

Our application uses an identity management service called eAuthentication (eAuth). The idea is to have one login for every application. Users can sign up online or see a local registration officer depending on the eAuth level they need.

eAuth uses a Computer Associates (CA) product called Siteminder to protect applications. You install siteminder on your public facing webserver and when someone goes to the URL they are redirected to a eAuth login page. Once the user logs in they are allowed to proceed to the site.

We had problems getting eAuth to work with Cognos. The way siteminder was configured at the OCIO wouldn’t allow Cognos to communicate with the server. We ended up having to take the “Siteminder light” approach.

Basically, we store the users eAuth internal ID number in Oracle Directory Services(ODS). The user will goto our URL, sign in to eAuth, and Cognos will check to see if they are in the ODS. If they in the directory they are let in. If they are not in the directory Cognos will prompt them for a UserID and Password.

The problem we are having is that eAuth is blocking the application from rendering the reports in iFrame. Here is the description of the error:

"The system has encountered an error.

The URL you were trying to access contains embedded HTML tags. The eAuthentication system does not allow authentication from URL's that contain characters known to be used in cross site scripting attacks. These characters were most likely generated by the application you were trying to access. Please open a new browser window and log into the application you were trying to access again."

Any suggestions/comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Updated on 2013-02-13T18:37:59Z at 2013-02-13T18:37:59Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

Re: Problem rendering Cognos 10 reports in iFrame

‏2013-02-13T11:02:23Z  
    Can you give a sample of the URL contained within the Iframe ?

We use Iframes for Cognos and show the charts in WebSphere Portal.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-13T12:38:47Z  
    Can you give a sample of the URL contained within the Iframe ?

We use Iframes for Cognos and show the charts in WebSphere Portal.
    Here's the URL contained within iframe:

reports.htm?action=runReport&runReportName=/content/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/report

Search path: /content/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/report
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-13T12:42:45Z  
    Here's the URL contained within iframe:

reports.htm?action=runReport&runReportName=/content/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/report

Search path: /content/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/report
    Here's the complete URL
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-02-13T13:40:02Z  
    Here's the complete URL
    It would be nice to understand how you are actually calling the iframe itself with the completed code. Here is simple example of how I call Iframes from an html object within an IBM Cognos Report Studio report.

<html> <head> </head> <body> <iframe width=100% height=100% src=
    " http:
    //servername:port/p2pd/servlet/dispatch?b_action=cognosViewer&ui.action=run&ui.object=%2fcontent%2fpackage%5b%40name%3d%27Cube%27%5d%2freport%5b%40name%3d%27Report%201%27%5d&ui.name=Report%201&run.outputFormat=&run.prompt=true&cv.header=false&cv.toolbar=false" id="theiframe1" name="theiframe1"></iframe></body> </html>

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-13T14:10:10Z  
    It would be nice to understand how you are actually calling the iframe itself with the completed code. Here is simple example of how I call Iframes from an html object within an IBM Cognos Report Studio report.

<pre class="jive-pre"> <html> <head> </head> <body> <iframe width=100% height=100% src= " http: //servername:port/p2pd/servlet/dispatch?b_action=cognosViewer&ui.action=run&ui.object=%2fcontent%2fpackage%5b%40name%3d%27Cube%27%5d%2freport%5b%40name%3d%27Report%201%27%5d&ui.name=Report%201&run.outputFormat=&run.prompt=true&cv.header=false&cv.toolbar=false" id="theiframe1" name="theiframe1"></iframe></body> </html> </pre>
    We have a servlet that calls a jsp to open iframe and render the report. See attached.
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-02-13T14:22:42Z  
    We have a servlet that calls a jsp to open iframe and render the report. See attached.
    Much clearer now thanks!.... So I wonder if its the iframe or the variable which replaces the report name. What happens when you hard code a report name, like in my example, instead of passing in the variable ReportName? (As a test of course.)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-13T15:10:04Z  
    Much clearer now thanks!.... So I wonder if its the iframe or the variable which replaces the report name. What happens when you hard code a report name, like in my example, instead of passing in the variable ReportName? (As a test of course.)
    It worked when I hard coded the report name.
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-02-13T15:32:29Z  
    It worked when I hard coded the report name.
    OK so its not the iframe itself ... if I had to guess I would say its the less than, or percent characters in your variable assignment.

<%=reportName %

Unfortunately, I am not sure what you would have to do to these characters to the exceptions list and what impact it would have to your security.(Cross site scripting, injection etc.)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-13T18:37:59Z  
    OK so its not the iframe itself ... if I had to guess I would say its the less than, or percent characters in your variable assignment.
    <pre class="jive-pre"> <%=reportName % </pre>

Unfortunately, I am not sure what you would have to do to these characters to the exceptions list and what impact it would have to your security.(Cross site scripting, injection etc.)
    Thanks, Daniel. It appears that those characters are being blocked by SiteMinder. I will have to do some research on how to deal with them, or come up with another solutiion on how to render the reports.
  • shaurya123
    shaurya123
    3 Posts

Handling Drill through reports from Iframe

‏2014-05-29T15:31:21Z  
    Thanks, Daniel. It appears that those characters are being blocked by SiteMinder. I will have to do some research on how to deal with them, or come up with another solutiion on how to render the reports.

Hello All,

We have implemented Iframes  for one of the requirements in our project.

Iframes is working fine, we have drill through reports from Iframes, a new pop up window appears for drill through reports.

The requirement now is we need to hide the address bar from this pop u window.

Anyone who has implemented this or any guidelines on how this can be achieved?

Thanks,

Updated on 2014-05-29T15:31:41Z at 2014-05-29T15:31:41Z by shaurya123