Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-02-11T20:56:11Z by Ortwin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6195 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Help to better understand Logic Parts

‏2013-02-11T15:05:05Z |
Hi

I would appreciate if someone could help me to understand the difference between:

library - program - Service and Handler and when use one instead of another; is it possible to make a comparison with the world RPGILE (Programs, modules, Service program )

Thanks in advance.

I have tried to some documents but the difference is not clear
Updated on 2013-02-11T20:56:11Z at 2013-02-11T20:56:11Z by Ortwin
  • Ortwin
    Ortwin
    204 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Help to better understand Logic Parts

‏2013-02-11T20:56:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

• An EGL Program part has 1 entry point (function main()). It can be called from other EGL parts like an other program or a service or a handler, but not from a ruihandler. This is because ruihandlers are generated into JavaScript, while programs, services and JSF handlers are generated into Java. So a Program part resembles a standard RPG program.
    • An EGL Library part can have many entry points (functions). It can be used from programs, services, JSF handlers as wel as from ruihandlers. It resembles an RPG Service Program.
    • An EGL Service part is similar to a library but it is called over HTTP by an other application. So it doesn't have a direct RPG counterpart. The RPG always needs to be wrapped by Java or an other language that can expose itself as a webservice.
    • An EGL JSF Handler part handles input of a JSF page, more or less like an RPG program handling the input on a Display File. It is generated into Java.
    • An EGL Rich UI Handler part defines the GUI and handles the user interaction of a JavaScript application.

Ortwin