Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-15T05:14:53Z by Tgefen
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Mixed environment question

‏2013-02-11T14:58:08Z |
We are currently an all windows CC/CQ UCM shop. I have a PVOB and projects have separate component vobs within the PVOB. One team has decided to move their application on linux box. All their users will remain on the windows. We currently have CC/CQ 8.0. How do I go about migrating just their ClearCase environment so it can be hosted on the linux? I am not too familiar with linux either. Please point me to the right direction. Thanks.
Updated on 2013-02-15T05:14:53Z at 2013-02-15T05:14:53Z by Tgefen
  • Leesa_Hicks
    Leesa_Hicks
    97 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Mixed environment question

‏2013-02-12T00:50:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If you want the Linux clients to be able to use dynamic views, then you could move the VOBs to be hosted on Unix/Linux. This allows both Windows and Linux clients to work with dynamic and snapshot views.

If you keep the VOBs hosted on Windows, then Linux clients are limited to snapshot views using CCFS, see http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21141329. You could try this out first to determine whether it would work for you.

If you are using NetApp to store VOB databases, beware of using Red Hat VOB servers with NAS VOB storage over NFS: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21295636

Leesa Hicks
    Principal Engineer
    Tektronix Instruments
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-12T19:18:22Z  in response to Leesa_Hicks
      Thanks a lot Leesa for your prompt reply. We mostly use the snapshots and occasionally have a use for dynamic views mostly at the time of debugging issues or running some specific utility. I will try to go the ccfs route. In case we end up going to move the VOB to the Linux server, can we just split the component vob and leave the rest of the projects over to the windows side. Sorry but that is the part coonfusing me. Thanks again in advance.
      • Leesa_Hicks
        Leesa_Hicks
        97 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-12T22:54:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I don't know, I have never tried this. The PVOB would need to be cross-tagged on the registry server that the Linux clients point to. If you use the UCM/CQ integration, you will need CQ installed on the Linux clients as well.

This would be a good question for IBM Rational support.

Leesa Hicks
        Principal Engineer
        Tektronix Instruments
      • Tgefen
        Tgefen
        718 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-13T06:38:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        ustad,

Referring to your last question, that sounds possible but it has to be done very carefully. Anyway it means you have to maintain two VOB servers - just think if you really need it.
        I'd suggest you to consider to move ALL VOBs to Linux and then you can decide which VOBs should be accessible in Linux and Windows for each group by relevant tagging as Leesa said.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that my company, GoMidjets, provides a few add-ons that might be useful in your scenario.
        ClearEnv lets your developers automatically and independently create their own environments (ClearCase streams and views) on Linux - from their Windows clients.
        As SCM admin, You just have to setup a template for each dev group, and then they create their instances automatically.

We have a free edition that contains two templates - you can just download and use it.

We also have Visual Annotate for debugging and R&D Reporter for tracking development status and artifacts (baseline, streams, components, activities etc.).

Regards,
        Tamir Gefen, GoMidjets
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          47293 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-13T19:35:33Z  in response to Tgefen
          Thanks Tamir. I am mostly set on the ccfs option as I might get away with not needing support for the dynamic views. However, in your reply, you mentioned moving all VOBs to Linux and tagging only the one needed in that environment. So Can I also tag the same PVOB in Linux that is tagged in windows region as well. Will that not pose any inteferance? Sorry for asking too many questions. Rational support has been sitting on the pmr for two weeks and not looking too eager to provide any solution.
  • jcibsen
    jcibsen
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-14T16:52:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi ustad,
    If these linux teams do not require dynamic views you could investigate Web Views. Web views are very similar to Snapshot views but they work through the cross-platform eclipse GUI, ClearTeam Explorer. This would also require setting up a CCRC WAN Server install, just an extended installation of Native ClearCase with WebSphere Application Server WAS and (optionally) IBM HTTP Server IHS.
    --John Ibsen
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-14T18:37:03Z  in response to jcibsen
      I thought CTE did not support snapshot views. Here is the link to the rfe:
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=14553

Thanks.
      • Tgefen
        Tgefen
        718 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-15T05:14:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        CTE does not support snapshot views indeed.