• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-12T13:13:58Z by chriscanto
kopper
kopper
178 Posts

Pinned topic DS5100 behind a V7000

‏2013-02-11T14:51:36Z |
hi guy

I am reading the V7000 guide about virtualizing an old storage but the information is not very clear.

My scenario is: I have DS5100 that we want to virtualize using the V7000 to use the advantages of the V7000...
So I want to keep the data in my DS5100 but presenting it to my hosts using my V7000 well that virtualizing a storage... so I don't want to move/migrate my data from my old DS5100 to my V7000....

but the thing is anything I read looks like I have to migrate my data off my DS5100 is there a guide to just virtualize my DS5100?

I see I have to import them as Image Volume but this guide does not implicitly says what to do next.
it mentions that the volume has to be added to a pool but to start a migration so I don't wan to migrate...

any idea o guidelines?

thanks a lot
Updated on 2013-02-12T13:13:58Z at 2013-02-12T13:13:58Z by chriscanto
  • TMasteen
    TMasteen
    290 Posts

Re: DS5100 behind a V7000

‏2013-02-11T17:02:33Z  
    One of the options is to create a V7k mdiskgrp with LUNs created from free space of your DS5100. Then migrate the Imagemode vdisks to "normal" vdisks (in new mdiskgrp). After the migration you can pull back the migrated LUN's and add them ass new mdisks to the mdisksgrp with the migrated vdisks. All depending on initial free space in your DS5.
    In this scenario it might be necessary to re-stripe the mdiskgrp.
    Or.. you migrate the Imagemode vdisks to normal vdisks in free space in other existing mdiskgrps. After you have migrated all data, you can reconfigure your DS5 and map these luns to the SVC again and migrate the vdisks back to this new mdiskgrp. Of course this can all be done "in flight".
  • kopper
    kopper
    178 Posts

‏2013-02-11T17:27:24Z  
    • TMasteen
    • ‏2013-02-11T17:02:33Z
    One of the options is to create a V7k mdiskgrp with LUNs created from free space of your DS5100. Then migrate the Imagemode vdisks to "normal" vdisks (in new mdiskgrp). After the migration you can pull back the migrated LUN's and add them ass new mdisks to the mdisksgrp with the migrated vdisks. All depending on initial free space in your DS5.
    In this scenario it might be necessary to re-stripe the mdiskgrp.
    Or.. you migrate the Imagemode vdisks to normal vdisks in free space in other existing mdiskgrps. After you have migrated all data, you can reconfigure your DS5 and map these luns to the SVC again and migrate the vdisks back to this new mdiskgrp. Of course this can all be done "in flight".
    thanks a lot

what if I don't have free space in the DS5100...

I was re-reading and according to documentation it's like import volumes from DS5100 as image mode volumes add them to a new Pool map them and that's it looks pretty easy
  • TMasteen
    TMasteen
    290 Posts

‏2013-02-11T18:22:30Z  
    • kopper
    • ‏2013-02-11T17:27:24Z
    thanks a lot

I was re-reading and according to documentation it's like import volumes from DS5100 as image mode volumes add them to a new Pool map them and that's it looks pretty easy
    If you dont have free space on your DS5, maybe you can use some free space in other mdiskgrps. You may consider to migrate to space efficient vdisks..
  • kopper
    kopper
    178 Posts

‏2013-02-11T19:12:46Z  
    • TMasteen
    • ‏2013-02-11T18:22:30Z
    If you dont have free space on your DS5, maybe you can use some free space in other mdiskgrps. You may consider to migrate to space efficient vdisks..
    so there is no way to manage my data from the DS5100 itself? without moving to the V7000?
  • chriscanto
    chriscanto
    291 Posts

‏2013-02-12T09:45:56Z  
    • kopper
    • ‏2013-02-11T17:27:24Z
    thanks a lot

If you want to keep the existing data on the existing LUNs on the DS5K as-is then you can import them into V7000 using image mode volumes into a new empty pool. There is no requirement to copy the data into the V7000.

In this mode the virtualisation layer of V7000 acts as a direct pass-through, but you can still use the copy services features such as FlashCopy and benefit from the V7000 cache, host+switch inter-op matrix etc.

When you have some free storage capacity available, either from internal drives in the V7000 or external storage, then you have the option of using the volume mirroring feature in V7000 to create a second copy of one of your original volumes -- and that new copy can use virtualisation and features like compression (which might mean you need less real storage to do this than you think!).

Once you've done that then you can remove the original image mode copy, which will make the mdisk (LUN) from the DS5K unmanaged, at which point you can reuse this storage in another storage pool for further virtualised volumes. You could do this one LUN at a time, or move all the data off to let you reconfigure the DS5K RAID arrays (if required, to get a balanced configuration) before managing the storage again, this time as raw storage rather than image mode volumes.
  • chriscanto
    chriscanto
    291 Posts

‏2013-02-12T10:00:06Z  
    If you want to keep the existing data on the existing LUNs on the DS5K as-is then you can import them into V7000 using image mode volumes into a new empty pool. There is no requirement to copy the data into the V7000.

In this mode the virtualisation layer of V7000 acts as a direct pass-through, but you can still use the copy services features such as FlashCopy and benefit from the V7000 cache, host+switch inter-op matrix etc.

When you have some free storage capacity available, either from internal drives in the V7000 or external storage, then you have the option of using the volume mirroring feature in V7000 to create a second copy of one of your original volumes -- and that new copy can use virtualisation and features like compression (which might mean you need less real storage to do this than you think!).

Once you've done that then you can remove the original image mode copy, which will make the mdisk (LUN) from the DS5K unmanaged, at which point you can reuse this storage in another storage pool for further virtualised volumes. You could do this one LUN at a time, or move all the data off to let you reconfigure the DS5K RAID arrays (if required, to get a balanced configuration) before managing the storage again, this time as raw storage rather than image mode volumes.
    Attached is an example screenshot of one of the steps in the migration wizard in the GUI. The text on that panel is:

>>>
    Select Storage Pool (optional)

Select the storage pool to migrate the imported volumes into. If you do not select a storage pool, no data will be migrated. Use the Migration panel in the management GUI to continue the migration at a later time.
    <<<

So on that panel you can just click on the Next button to import the volumes without migrating (a copy of them) into the V7000. This will leave them as image mode volumes.
  • kopper
    kopper
    178 Posts

‏2013-02-12T11:55:11Z  

thanks chriscanto yeah this seems thatr does the magic

"If you want to keep the existing data on the existing LUNs on the DS5K as-is then you can import them into V7000 using image mode volumes into a new empty pool. There is no requirement to copy the data into the V7000."

image mode in a new pool

just last question even when my V7000 is active active storage and my DS5K is active passive my hosts will continue perceive the storage backend as Active Active or Active Passive?

thanks a lot
  • chriscanto
    chriscanto
    291 Posts

‏2013-02-12T13:13:58Z  
    • kopper
    • ‏2013-02-12T11:55:11Z
    thanks chriscanto yeah this seems thatr does the magic

"If you want to keep the existing data on the existing LUNs on the DS5K as-is then you can import them into V7000 using image mode volumes into a new empty pool. There is no requirement to copy the data into the V7000."

image mode in a new pool

just last question even when my V7000 is active active storage and my DS5K is active passive my hosts will continue perceive the storage backend as Active Active or Active Passive?

thanks a lot
    The hosts talk to the V7000 and have no awareness of the DS5K behind it; this means the hosts see the active-active behaviour of the V7000.