Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-01T21:40:26Z by msoucy
msoucy
msoucy
336 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic EGL and browser caching issue with IE9

‏2013-02-11T14:31:30Z |
I'm running into a browser caching issue with my EGL application. The company I work for has standardized on IE for our browser and we've come across an issue with IE9 caching data. In one of my EGL applications I call an RPG program on our i5 which generates a PDF file on the IFS. When the job is done the user can click on a link in the EGL application to open the PDF document. If the user makes any changes on the web page and runs the RPG application again, then the PDF document would change. The problem is that when this happens the user clicks on the HTML link and the PDF document that comes up is the previous version even though the correct version is sitting on the IFS. The only way around this seems to be to change in Internet options in the browser to "Check for newer versions of stored pages: every time I visit the web page". My manager is against this option as he says it opens the door for "security issues". He says he wants to solve this programmatically. I've tried inserting the following HTML code into my JSP page but it doesn't seems to solve the problem.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?
Updated on 2013-03-01T21:40:26Z at 2013-03-01T21:40:26Z by msoucy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: EGL and browser caching issue with IE9

‏2013-02-11T15:16:03Z  in response to msoucy
    Try to add this line:

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="private, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-stale=0,post-check=0, pre-check=0">
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6195 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-18T03:50:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      If the above doesn't work, try adding a "?unique_value" to the end of the url. It will trick the browser into thinking it's a new PDF file.

Here is an example from one of our functions.

function outputCSV(nameOfFile string in, link string in, retResult ErrorRecord in)
              uniqueStamp = DateTimeLib.currentTimeStamp();
              uniqueURLSuffix = "?" + _userRecord.sessionID + "_" + uniqueStamp;
              if(retResult.isError)
                  showServiceErrorMessage(retResult);
              else
                  _nameOfFile = nameOfFile;
                  FILE_NAME_INPUTFIELD.children =[new Hyperlink{text = nameOfFile + labels.HUD_FILE_DOWNLOAD_INSTRUCTIONS, target = "_blank", href = link + uniqueURLSuffix}];
                  unlock_HUD();
                  infobus.publish("remove.grey.box", null);
              end
          end

Updated on 2014-03-25T04:36:11Z at 2014-03-25T04:36:11Z by iron-man
  • msoucy
    msoucy
    336 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T21:40:26Z  in response to msoucy
    It seems that everything I have tried doesn't work. My manager has agreed in the mean time to turn off browser caching at the server level until we can figure out a way around this programmatically. Thanks everyone for the help!