Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-11T12:14:25Z by IdanAdar
vin.app
vin.app
16 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic why jndi/jdbc info is updated in 2 places (server.xml and worklight.proper)

‏2013-02-11T09:48:08Z |
While Apache Derby Database Setup and Configuring Liberty Profile for Derby.

We do changes to worklight.propertes like jndi/jdbc information and same is also done in server.xml (liberty profile etc..) ..... Is still the worklight.properties jndi/jdbc information used ?. Why do we need to do these changes twice. Little confused here.

I think this is the general procedure for all the supported databases or appserver.
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: why jndi/jdbc info is updated in 2 places (server.xml and worklight.proper)

‏2013-02-11T10:57:53Z  in response to vin.app
    Do you mean that you are trying to migrate your project from the development environment to a production environment?
    In this case you would need to change only worklight.properties.

===
    Note: IBM forums are in the process of migrating to a new format. During migration the forums will be frozen and in read-only mode. If you wish to continue this thread discussion please post it on stackoverflow, where the Worklight team and others can respond.

See the Forum Migration announce post for more details. Thank you.
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14937476

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
    • vin.app
      vin.app
      16 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T11:19:23Z  in response to IdanAdar
      no its only in development.
      1) Apache Derby Database Setup
      2) Configuring Liberty Profile for Derby

In (1) there is a step for JNDI/JDBC info update. Also in (2) the server.xml has the similar updates for JNDI/JDBC. I believe individual steps in (1) and (2) are mandatory ?.
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T11:43:28Z  in response to vin.app
    Again, I will ask my question:

Are you trying to move your project from the Development Environment (Eclipse with Worklight Studio running on Jetty) to Liberty?
    If yes,
    All you need to do is to configure the database settings in worklight.properties and then deploy the updated .war file on the Liberty application server.

Did you install your Liberty instnace using the Installation Manager? Have you previously altered server.xml?
    I believe that you can safely remove those if they exist, and use only what you have configured in worklight.properties.

===
    Note: IBM forums are in the process of migrating to a new format. During migration the forums will be frozen and in read-only mode. If you wish to continue this thread discussion please post it on stackoverflow, where the Worklight team and others can respond.

See the Forum Migration announce post for more details. Thank you.
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14937476

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    • vin.app
      vin.app
      16 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T12:07:11Z  in response to IdanAdar
      ok, In that case its production. I moving from studio to liberty.

One final question : Is the step "Configuring Liberty Profile for Derby" mentioned in the admin guide required at at all. This step speaks about JNDI/JDBC configuration i guess. Thanks.
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T12:14:25Z  in response to vin.app
    The Information Center article states the following:
    IBM® Worklight® V5.0.5. automatically configures your databases. However, if you are using an older version of IBM Worklight, or if you are experiencing problems with the automatic configuration process for Liberty Profile on Derby, you must manually set up and configure your Apache Derby database and then the Liberty Profile for Derby.
    Are you upgrading an older version of Worklight? My understanding is no.
    Are you experiencing issues? My understanding is that right now, no.

Lets first try with simply using only worklight.properties and see if there are any issues.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer