• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-28T15:25:49Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic ISD licensing

‏2013-02-09T10:27:02Z |
Hi!

The IBM Systems Director license terms are not too clear for me in mixed environment. I mean, there are Power and X servers in the IT environment.
For example:
There are 20 X servers with ISD express license and 2 P servers with ISD enterprise license.
The VMControl Enterprise license is the part of the ISD for Power Enterprise. Can I legally use this component for manage my X server environment?!

Thanks,
beno
Updated on 2013-02-28T15:25:49Z at 2013-02-28T15:25:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

Re: ISD licensing

‏2013-02-13T16:01:03Z  
    No. That capability is licensed per physical management/managed server. To use VMControl Enterprise Edition on your x86 servers, you must license it for those x86 servers. Keep in mind that VMControl Enterprise Edition only applies to KVM on x86, not ESX nor Hyper-v.

----
    Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Skills
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2013-02-16T09:02:18Z  
    No. That capability is licensed per physical management/managed server. To use VMControl Enterprise Edition on your x86 servers, you must license it for those x86 servers. Keep in mind that VMControl Enterprise Edition only applies to KVM on x86, not ESX nor Hyper-v.

----
    Craig Elliott
    Thank you Craig.
    I understood the first part of your answer.
    But this sentence is also not clear for me: 'Keep in mind that VMControl Enterprise Edition only applies to KVM on x86, not ESX nor Hyper-v."
    What kind of licence have to buy to use VMControl fully feature in a mixed environment?! I mean what if there are ESX on the x86 servers?!
    Many thanks.
    benn
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2013-02-20T01:21:36Z  
    Thank you Craig.
    I understood the first part of your answer.
    But this sentence is also not clear for me: 'Keep in mind that VMControl Enterprise Edition only applies to KVM on x86, not ESX nor Hyper-v."
    What kind of licence have to buy to use VMControl fully feature in a mixed environment?! I mean what if there are ESX on the x86 servers?!
    Many thanks.
    benn
    Sorry this is so confusing. Hopefully, I can explain.

VMControl Standard Edition provides image management for KVM or PowerVM. VMControl Enterprise Edition provides workload management and placement services, again for KVM and PowerVM. Neither VMC Standard nor Enterprise Editions apply to VMware.

If you have a mixed environment, you would purchase VMControl Enterprise Edition licenses for your physical Power servers, and for your Systems Director management server (assuming it isn't running in an LPAR on one of those Power servers). You would then license VMControl Express Edition for the x86 servers running ESXi.

Let's look at 2 examples. Suppose you have 10 Power servers, and 10 x86 servers running ESXi, and your Systems Director management server is running in a LPAR on one of the Power servers, you would need 10 VMControl Enterprise Edition licenses and 10 VMControl Express Edition licenses (licensed per physical server). Now, if you were to install the Systems Director management server in a VM on ESXi, rather than in a LPAR, you would need 11 VMControl Enterprise Edition licenses (10 for Power and 1 for x86) plus 9 VMControl Express Edition licenses.

----
    Craig Elliott
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2013-02-28T15:25:49Z  
    Sorry this is so confusing. Hopefully, I can explain.

VMControl Standard Edition provides image management for KVM or PowerVM. VMControl Enterprise Edition provides workload management and placement services, again for KVM and PowerVM. Neither VMC Standard nor Enterprise Editions apply to VMware.

If you have a mixed environment, you would purchase VMControl Enterprise Edition licenses for your physical Power servers, and for your Systems Director management server (assuming it isn't running in an LPAR on one of those Power servers). You would then license VMControl Express Edition for the x86 servers running ESXi.

Let's look at 2 examples. Suppose you have 10 Power servers, and 10 x86 servers running ESXi, and your Systems Director management server is running in a LPAR on one of the Power servers, you would need 10 VMControl Enterprise Edition licenses and 10 VMControl Express Edition licenses (licensed per physical server). Now, if you were to install the Systems Director management server in a VM on ESXi, rather than in a LPAR, you would need 11 VMControl Enterprise Edition licenses (10 for Power and 1 for x86) plus 9 VMControl Express Edition licenses.

----
    Craig Elliott
    Thank you Craig!!

Your detailed answer was beyond expectations!

Regards,
    benn