Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-24T17:28:31Z by thanh
thanh
thanh
36 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Can the Image Repository server be on a KVM host?

‏2013-02-08T16:48:30Z |
From what I read in the ISD documents, the KVM host needs to have Platform Agent running. And, the Image Repository server needs to have Common Agent running. To save a server, I'm trying to run both Platform Agent and Common Agent on the same KVM host that is running Red Hat 6.2. The two agents seem to co-exist okay. Please correct me if this is a wrong assumption.

The problem I'm encountering is, when I tried to create an image repository from ISD, it can't find any Available Target Systems. What have I missed here? From the ISD perspective, what qualify a system as a target for an image repository?
Updated on 2013-02-24T17:28:31Z at 2013-02-24T17:28:31Z by thanh
  • bassemir
    bassemir
    39 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can the Image Repository server be on a KVM host?

‏2013-02-08T17:29:29Z  in response to thanh
    I have been there and believe the answer is no, don't try to put on both agents. On your KVM host you need to put the Platform agent for RHEL6KVM. It is a specific agent. If you put the Platform agent for Linux (no RHEL6KVM) you won't be able to create any virtual servers from ISD.

The system hosting the image repository has to be running the common agent.

I had success creating a Redhat virtual server on a KVM host (no KVM) and made that server an NFS server. I then installed the common agent on that virtual server. I was able to then create an image repository on that virtual server. Did you follow that?

Caution though.. I am using Redhat 6.3 and the ISD 6.3.2 Platform agent for my KVM host and the 6.3 common agent for my virtual NFS server machine. You are using Redhat 6.2.

Also, although I got this set up to work, I am not 100% sure it is a supported environment.

Rich
    • thanh
      thanh
      36 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-09T02:23:31Z  in response to bassemir
      Hi Rich, thank you for sharing the experience. I appreciate that.

I do have a NFS virtual server that also runs Red Hat 6.2. But, I followed the ISD document and installed the Platform Agent for KVM too. So this NFS server also has to have KVM & libvirt installed. This is the confusing part from the document. Yes, I did download the Platform Agent for KVM (not the normal linux platform agent).

According to your experience, you just installed the Common Agent 6.3 on the NFS server and make that an image repository and that works? Could you share how you do that? This is the missing part from the ISD document.
      • bassemir
        bassemir
        39 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T13:34:39Z  in response to thanh
        What you have to do is remove the Platform agent currently installed. I believe the command to do this is in /opt/ibm/platform/bin/uninstall but double check the infocenter for System Director.

Then I downloaded SysDir6_3_2_Common_Agent_Linux_x86.tar, untarred it and ran the installation. You might find you have to install some additional RPMs. I like to use a System Director preinstall utility that is downloadable to find out what RPMs are needed. If you have a yum repository, it is easy to install any missing RPMs.

However, I would not install the 6.3.2 common agent if your ISD server is at 6.2. So be sure to download the right level common agent.

Also, please remember that I am not 100% sure this configuration is supported. Although it did work for me, your environment is different. It might have worked for me because on the newer level of ISD and the agents.

Rich
        • thanh
          thanh
          36 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T16:38:54Z  in response to bassemir
          Rich, thank you for explaning the details! I have one more question:
          - Which level is your ISD server?

You're using Common Agent 6.3 for Linux. So I guess your ISD server is also at 6.3?

I have ISD server 6.3. It can see the Common Agent 6.3.2 on my NFS server now (I uninstalled Platform Agent on this server). So, it was the co-existing problem. But, that doesn't solve my image repository problem yet. ISD still cannot find an available image repository target.

If you confirm that ISD server 6.3 and Common Agent 6.3 working together, then I'll uninstall Common Agent 6.3.2 and install level 6.3. This is simpler than uninstall ISD server 6.3 and install level 6.3.2.

All these different levels and compatibility are causing unneccessary complication. It will help if the ISD document has a matrix of compatibilities between OS, ISD server, agents, etc.
          • bassemir
            bassemir
            39 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T17:45:44Z  in response to thanh
            Yes I am at ISD 6.3. You should not have to uninstall and re-install a different Common Agent.

If I understand you correctly you are now trying to create an image repository on this particular virtual server that is running NFS services. When you get to the gui where you select the system you do not see this system listed, correct?

1) you have performed an inventory of this system since you updated from the platform agent to the common agent, correct?

2) look to make sure there are three protocols for communication to this virtual server (off the general tab when looking at inventory) you should see CAS, CIM, SSH

3) If you don't see CAS, you can either try to discover it again, or remove it from ISD and re-discover it. Doing this will make ISD go look for protocols again.

Rich
            • thanh
              thanh
              36 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T18:36:49Z  in response to bassemir
              >> If I understand you correctly you are now trying to create an image repository on this
              >> particular virtual server that is running NFS services. When you get to the gui where you
              >> select the system you do not see this system listed, correct?

Yes

>> 1) you have performed an inventory of this system since you updated from the platform agent
              >> to the common agent, correct?

Yes. I did remove the NFS server from ISD and did discover and inventory again.

>> 2) look to make sure there are three protocols for communication to this virtual server (off
              >> the general tab when looking at inventory) you should see CAS, CIM, SSH

I do see three Access Types: CIM, SSH, CAS. CAS's access is OK. CIM and SSH have "No Access". I created the credentials using User ID and Password. But, they still have "No Access".

>> 3) If you don't see CAS, you can either try to discover it again, or remove it from ISD and
              >> re-discover it. Doing this will make ISD go look for protocols again.

I do see CAS now in ISD. What is bothering me is that CIM and SSH have "No access" even after I created the credentials using User ID and password.
              • bassemir
                bassemir
                39 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T19:42:47Z  in response to thanh
                Okay, the next thing I would look for is to be sure your virtual server (the target image repository system) is managed by your ISD agent manager.

Look at the /opt/ibm/director/agent/runtime/agent/config/endpoint.properties file.

Verify that keyword unmanagedAgent=false

Verify entries like Registration.Server.Host=<your ISD IP address>

There will be several of them... CatalogueService.Host, Registration.Server.Host, etc

Next I would on your virtual server do a exportfs to see you are exporting the file system you will be using for an image repository.

If you have not already done this, update /etc/exports and add the directory you will use for the image repository. Mine looked like this:

/nfsdata/blade1 192.169.50.250(rw,no_root_squash)

run the command service nfs restart

See if this helps

Rich
                • thanh
                  thanh
                  36 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T19:09:19Z  in response to bassemir
                  The NFS file system exporting may have something to do with sharing the file system. I happened to have the file system exported to the world (any other clients can remotely mount this file system). That's probably not a good idea. Changing that to export to a specific IP address helped. It also works with IP address containing the last octet as a wild card, for example:
                  /images 10.10.110.*(rw,no_root_squash)

Also could be part of the solution is the installation of Subagent Packages from ISD. Just go to Install Agents and select the appropriate subagent package. In the case of Common Agent, the packaging group is:
                  Common Agent Subagent Packages

The subagent package is:
                  CommonAgentSubagent_VMControl_CommonRepository

It's a recommended practice to remove the OS object from ISD and redo the discovery and inventory everytime any changes are made on that OS.
                  • thanh
                    thanh
                    36 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-21T16:23:12Z  in response to thanh
                    Sorry.... The answer to my original question is "No". The KVM host requires running Platform Agent. The Image Repository requires running Common Agent. From what I heard, these two agents cannot co-exist on the same system. Therefore, the Image Repository cannot be on KVM host. Similar conflicts are applied on NFS server.

I'm putting the Image Repository server on the ISD server, which has Common Agent running by default installation. All the discovery and inventory for an Image Repository are still applied to ISD server.

-Thanh Lam.
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      13279 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-22T16:51:49Z  in response to thanh
                      The KVM Platform Agent is different than the Linux Platform Agent that is packaged with the Common Agent. That's why your managed KVM server cannot also be the Repository Server.

----
                      Craig Elliott
                      IBM Advanced Technical Skills
                      • thanh
                        thanh
                        36 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-24T17:28:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Thanks! This informatioon is helpful. I was wondering when I uninstalled Common Agent, it also uninstalled other agent like Platform Agent. When installed the Platform Agent for KVM, I recalled that some rpms already existed. Now I understand those are from the regular Platform Agent. Anyway, uninstalling Common Agent did uninstall all of the agent stuffs.