Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-07T19:54:28Z by DanielWagemann
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1959 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Performance issue when using Lag or parallelPeriod function in chart

‏2013-02-07T07:58:51Z |
Dear all,

I create a query to compare the value for each month of current year and last year.
I use lag function to get the same month of last year.
I found that it work fine when I use crosstab to display result.
But, the performance is slow when I use line chart to display result. (as attached)
After check, it's lag function to slow down chart display. Even I change the lag function to parallelPeriod function.

Does anyone have same problem as me? Do we have alternative way to solve this performance issue.

BTW, I use cognos 10.1.1

The code for "Last Period" => tuple(lag(currentMember(Sales Actual Shipment.Time (Month).Time),12),Shipment Amount)
Updated on 2013-02-07T19:54:28Z at 2013-02-07T19:54:28Z by DanielWagemann
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Performance issue when using Lag or parallelPeriod function in chart

‏2013-02-07T14:56:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    It's kinda cool what you are doing here. I have created a similar report and I do not exprience any performance issue when introducing the chart. Which makes sense to me as the chart and crosstab would create a very similar query.

Could you please post your actual spec and confirm which data source you are using.
    Also, if you could generate and post the MDX from Report Studio tools menu for the crosstab and chart query.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1959 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T16:27:30Z  in response to DanielWagemann
      Hi, you can use the standard sample model to test it. Once, you change the 'Use Local Cache' of your query to 'No'.
      You will find that it's very slow to use lag or parallelPeriod function in chart.
      • DanielWagemann
        DanielWagemann
        850 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T19:54:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Sorry, when I create the same crosstab and chart based on the same query, I still get instant results, regardless of what the query cache setting is set to.
        How often does your data source get updated to warrant turning the query cache off?

If you would like me to help further, please post the items requested earlier.