Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-07T21:35:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Pre and Post Executions Assignments

‏2013-02-07T04:30:23Z |
Hi there,

There are some IT colleagues that are saying that we ought to avoid at all cost coding JavaScript in the Pre and/or Post execution assignments sections in any of the Human Services, Server Scriptlets or Server Scripts. None of us in the office know exactly the reason for this. Is it true?

Occasionally, I find plugging in a few lines of JS code in the Pre/Post sections can be useful but I’m not sure if I need to discontinue this habit!

We are using WLE 7.5.1.

Thanks,
Sam
Updated on 2013-02-07T21:35:37Z at 2013-02-07T21:35:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • barsa4ever
    barsa4ever
    100 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Pre and Post Executions Assignments

‏2013-02-07T06:50:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The only reason I see here is to keep your code clean. When somebody will try to understand your code, all this pre- and post- assignments will confuse a bit. Trust me, I tried it. :)
    Actually I don't think it will somehow decrease performance in any noticable level.
    Sometimes it's the only way to make things work, otherwise I prefer not to use it.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T16:42:45Z  in response to barsa4ever
      So if there is no decrease in performance that would be great. I don't see how this would be confusing when IBM actually provides us with a tiny dot on the left or the right corner of the service (for Pre and Post) to add clarity.

Personally, I prefer to use it (not intensively though) for initialization mainly. I suppose it is a matter of opinion but thanks for your response.

Sam
      • jmac_EmeriCon
        jmac_EmeriCon
        279 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T16:52:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Not sure if you saw our brief discussion on this topic here.

Bottom line I see no reason to avoid these for simple initializations/logging, but imo they should not be abused.

Regards

JMAC

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T21:16:55Z  in response to jmac_EmeriCon
          To follow up on John's post, the people who feel the most strongly about this are the people who have been burned the most. When you have advance features on, the pre and post are full JS edit windows, like a server side script. This can cause some people to simply jam large JS blocks in there and you don't know why. Additionally you can get really confusing behaviour like "Hey when I ran in debug, right before I went to the coach the value of the variable was X but on the coach it is Y" or "I submitted Y for my value, but when the coach went to the next step, the value was X". Sure there is a little blue dot on the coach but that can be easily overlooked by the person trying to figure out what went wrong. Especially when you start adding in the additional complexity that the 8.0 coaches bring along.

The real problem is many people are lazy and just wind up using it because they don't want to reconnect lines.

There is little to no performance impact either way. If someone really measured I suspect there is a slight chance that the stand alone js block might perform ever so slightly more slowly if "save execution context" is turned on, but I would be amazed if that was a significant difference.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T21:35:37Z  in response to jmac_EmeriCon
          Thanks John for the link you provided.
          The discussion there added clarity to this issue.

Regards,
          Sam