3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-06T16:42:13Z by SystemAdmin
NPfister
NPfister
43 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic MVSDS Replacement

‏2013-02-06T12:57:51Z |
Hello;

I was just wondering if there was a replacement for MVSDS, since, as far as I am aware, it is not supported on IBM HTTP Sever 7. We are looking at moving our production sites off of 5.3 onto 7 (since, according to the z/OS 2.1 preview I saw 5.3 is discontinued to be released with the OS after this upcoming release). We were able to move some of our users onto a home-built Java version, but not everyone is running an application server. I could code something else to replace it on those not able to use java, but I am hoping that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks.
Updated on 2013-02-06T16:42:13Z at 2013-02-06T16:42:13Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3908 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: MVSDS Replacement

‏2013-02-06T13:28:05Z  in response to NPfister
    > NPfister wrote:
    > Hello;
    >
    > I was just wondering if there was a replacement for MVSDS, since, as far as I am aware, it is not supported on IBM HTTP Sever 7. We are looking at moving our production sites off of 5.3 onto 7 (since, according to the z/OS 2.1 preview I saw 5.3 is discontinued to be released with the OS after this upcoming release). We were able to move some of our users onto a home-built Java version, but not everyone is running an application server. I could code something else to replace it on those not able to use java, but I am hoping that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
    >
    > Thanks.

There is an MVSDS CGI that can be used with the Apache-based IHS, and MVSDS support in the server is one of our top requirements for making Apache a more viable replacement.

The CGI is available here: http://people.apache.org/~gregames/mvsds

If you don't have a lot of traffic for datasets, CGI might be enough.
    • NPfister
      NPfister
      43 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T14:54:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Ok, so that is what I was looking for. By your answer it seems that IBM is working on a supported replacement (as this is non-supported by the comments)? If so, is there a timeframe for that? I only ask because often I use unsupported things and very often I get my fingers slapped for doing so, so it's nice to be able to tell management that there is a supported tool in the future and give them a timeline.

Thanks.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        3908 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T16:42:13Z  in response to NPfister
        > NPfister wrote:
        > Ok, so that is what I was looking for. By your answer it seems that IBM is working on a supported replacement (as this is non-supported by the comments)? If so, is there a timeframe for that? I only ask because often I use unsupported things and very often I get my fingers slapped for doing so, so it's nice to be able to tell management that there is a supported tool in the future and give them a timeline.

I can't comment on plans. MVSDS is an "uncommitted candidate" in requirement terms. It's one we recognize as important from a migration perspective.

The CGI is unsupported, but is pretty basic (it just depends on the USS commands that accept datasets as arguments already)