• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-12T10:30:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2077 Posts

Pinned topic Python(x, y) & Python essentials/plugin

‏2013-02-05T22:02:33Z |
Hi Jon and others,

We're in the process of re-installing about 30 servers and I noticed that Python 2.7 is not installed with Python essentials for SPSS 20 when a silent install ('pushed installation') is used. Python 2.7 does get installed with an interactive installation. Weird, but it's documented behavior. But I was thinking: why not make this a virtue and install Python(x, y) (http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/devel/pythonxy/Python(x,y)-2.7.3.1.exe). Will this work?

Is a silent install the only way to be able to separately install Python? I know this has been bundled to make life easier, but...;-) I believe the Python essentials contain Python 2.7.2, not 2.7.3. And Python(x, y) contains many, many cool libraries!

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Albert-Jan
Updated on 2013-02-12T10:30:29Z at 2013-02-12T10:30:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2077 Posts

Re: Python(x, y) & Python essentials/plugin

‏2013-02-06T15:59:42Z  
    If Python(x,y) uses the standard Python 2.7.x distribution, then it would probably work, but I see references to IPython there, so that would need some work. Also, the x,y site says it is licensed as GPL. That is incompatible with the standard Python license - the two cannot coexist, so I don't know what this means. 2.7.2 vs 2.7.3 makes no difference to us.

There is no way that IBM would distribute the Python(x,y) packaging, because it would require IBM to prove that they have the right to redistribute everything in that distribution, which would be a massive job. I see references to the Enthought distribution in their chart. That is proprietary. Maybe that isn't actually part of what Python(x,y) is distributing.

As for a silent install, there are technical difficulties in running multiple installers that might be the reason, but you could probably build a silent install for Python itself pretty easily.

Regards,
    Jon
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2077 Posts

Re: Python(x, y) & Python essentials/plugin

‏2013-02-12T10:30:29Z  
    If Python(x,y) uses the standard Python 2.7.x distribution, then it would probably work, but I see references to IPython there, so that would need some work. Also, the x,y site says it is licensed as GPL. That is incompatible with the standard Python license - the two cannot coexist, so I don't know what this means. 2.7.2 vs 2.7.3 makes no difference to us.

There is no way that IBM would distribute the Python(x,y) packaging, because it would require IBM to prove that they have the right to redistribute everything in that distribution, which would be a massive job. I see references to the Enthought distribution in their chart. That is proprietary. Maybe that isn't actually part of what Python(x,y) is distributing.

As for a silent install, there are technical difficulties in running multiple installers that might be the reason, but you could probably build a silent install for Python itself pretty easily.

Regards,
    Jon
    Hi Jon,

Thank you. Yes, that's what I also thought. It works fine with Python v2.7.3, but we didn't install all the extra packages. I'd have liked to install Python(x, y) entirely.

Regards,
    Albert-Jan