Topic
23 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-08-13T19:24:34Z by Francisco_Pepe
krauseke
krauseke
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Portal Cumulative Fix and Fixpack 1 install fail (8.0.0-WP-Enable-FP001)

‏2013-02-05T21:31:02Z |
I've been able to apply simple IFPM to my Portal 8 server, but when I tried to apply fixpack 1 (8.0.0.1) it failed using the installation manager with the following:
Update failed.
Error during "post-install configure" phase:
java.lang.Exception: ConfigTask CONFIG-WP-PTF-CF failed.

I have tried to go back and apply the individual interim fixes (8.0.0.0-WP-WCM-Combined-CFPM69633-Server-CF03 ) both through the installer and through command lines and they both fail at the same point. The final entry in the ConfigTrace.log is:

BUILD FAILED
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/installer/wp.config/config/includes/wp_base_8000.xml:22: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/installer/wp.config/config/includes/wp_base_8000.xml:27: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/installer/wp.update/config/includes/cumulative_fix.xml:72: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/installer/wp.update/config/includes/wp.update.fix_cfg.xml:205: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/ConfigEngine/config/includes/upgrade_cfg.xml:94: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/base/wp.base/config/includes/wp.base_cfg.xml:1507: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/base/wp.base/config/includes/wp.base_cfg.xml:1573: exec returned: 1

I've read through other entries where was.base.jar was an issue and making sure that the wkplc properties files were ok, but to no avail. I've tried to run the following as well and it fails:

./ConfigEngine.sh CONFIG-WP-PTF-CF -DPortalAdminPwd=passw0rd -DWasPassword=<password>

This is the same command where it fails in the Installation Manager and the command line (executing this command)

Please help!!

Attached ConfigTrace.log here as well. Let me know if you need more info. It's a single instance (VM) on RedHat with no customizations - only the CTCv3 deployed
Updated on 2013-02-09T05:08:43Z at 2013-02-09T05:08:43Z by Thakhani
  • httweed
    httweed
    510 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Portal Cumulative Fix and Fixpack 1 install fail (8.0.0-WP-Enable-FP001)

‏2013-02-05T23:32:49Z  in response to krauseke
    It fails when it's trying to start the Portal server here:

=================
    action-start-portal-server-standard:
    logmsg 02/05/13 15:53:45.610 EST EJPCA3163I: Starting Server "WebSphere_Portal"
    echo 'WebSphere_Portal' seems to be stopped.
    echo Starting 'WebSphere_Portal'
    exec ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file
    exec /opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/logs/WebSphere_Portal/startServer.log
    exec ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the wp_profile profile
    exec ADMU3100I: Reading configuration for server: WebSphere_Portal
    exec ADMU3200I: Server launched. Waiting for initialization status.
    exec ADMU3000I: Server WebSphere_Portal open for e-business; process id is 29937
    =================

Then it just abruptly ends. Have you added anything to the startServer.sh file? Like a pause statement or anything like that? If so, go ahead and remove any manual changes you made to the startServer script.

Otherwise, can you upload both the startServer.sh file and the SystemOut.log for the Portal server?

~HT
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM
  • krauseke
    krauseke
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T00:30:12Z  in response to krauseke
    Thanks for the quick reply. Attached are the startServer.sh from the profile/bin and the WAS/bin directories as well as the SystemOut.log

I haven't made modifications to these - they are part of a generic VM. Looked through them and didn't see anything.

I am able to start the servers and access Portal, but I noticed that after trying to apply the fix pack the server says that it is running, but it's not accessible. As if it didn't shut down and it only "partially" running??

Attachments

• httweed
      httweed
      510 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T00:45:24Z  in response to krauseke
      This part of the startServer.sh (portal) file that you sent is not part of the default:

echo
      echo
      read -p "Press Enter key to close . . ." anykey
      Someone must have added that. Can you remove that from the shell script and try the upgrade again?
      ~HT
      The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM
  • krauseke
    krauseke
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T03:06:11Z  in response to krauseke
    Argh! That was it! Didn't realize someone had added the pause in there. Was in both the start and stop. THanks for the help. Up to 8.0.0.1 and CTC4 now!
  • Thakhani
    Thakhani
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T15:11:35Z  in response to krauseke
    I am experiencing the same problem Using IIM and my startServer script is fine. I tryed to retry but it says the server is running while its not even running. Please help
    • krauseke
      krauseke
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T15:19:05Z  in response to Thakhani
      I had to check my stopServer.sh as well. It was hanging when waiting to shut down as well. Are you getting the same error message that I received? I found that when it failed the server was in a "partially" started state - said it was running and the java process was there, but the server wasn't fully running.

I tailed the SystemOut.log, start and stop logs while the update was being applied.
    • httweed
      httweed
      510 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T18:05:19Z  in response to Thakhani
      Thakhani, can you upload your ConfigTrace.log?

wp_profile/ConfigEngine/log/ConfigTrace.log

These upgrades can fail for hundreds of reasons (unfortunately) so it's very likely you're hitting a different problem altogether.

~HT
      • Thakhani
        Thakhani
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T19:32:23Z  in response to httweed
        I am busy replicating the problem as i have deleted the logs i will upload soon, I am in South Africa and i dont know what time it is now that side so it would be nice if we share emails. logs coming soon
        • Thakhani
          Thakhani
          9 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T19:51:58Z  in response to Thakhani
          file attached
          • httweed
            httweed
            510 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T20:06:01Z  in response to Thakhani
            Ok, yours doesn't contain a failure here so it seems it's not making it as far as krauseke's did. Can you instead zip up this directory and upload it:

C:\Program Data\IBM\InstallationManager\logs

This will be a hidden directory so you may need to change the file settings to see it.

~HT
            • 6PA1_jithendra_Anne
              6PA1_jithendra_Anne
              1 Post
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-30T07:49:38Z  in response to httweed

Hello Hunter,

same is my case , but I'm applying as soon as I installed the portal , confused I didn't transferred the database to db2 , but still it fails lack of db2 password , why does it require the db2 password though its running using derby any idea and suggestions.

• Thakhani
            Thakhani
            9 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T20:16:06Z  in response to Thakhani
            Error during "install" phase:

Deleting files from C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer\installer\prereq.eclipsehelp

Failed to delete C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer\installer\prereq.eclipsehelp\eclipsehelp\content\com.ibm.wp.admin.help\doc.zip
            • Thakhani
              Thakhani
              9 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-08T06:21:42Z  in response to Thakhani
              The error above caused by google desktop preventing portal to access the files, I replicated the problem and attached are the logs from config engines

Attachments

• Thakhani
                Thakhani
                9 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-08T09:31:40Z  in response to Thakhani
                I tried command but i got

C:\>"E:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Installation Manager\eclipse\tools\imcl.exe" com
                .ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80 -repositories "E:\Miscellaneous\My Documents\So
                ftwares\IBM\Portal\Portal Fixpacks\8.0.0-WP-Server-FP001\WP8001_Server\repositor
                y.config" -properties user.wp.portal.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v8
                0=wpsadmin,user.wp.portal.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcd
                Y47EfxLYarBAIxeQ==,user.wp.was.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=wpsad
                min,user.wp.was.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcdY47EfxLYar
                BAIxeQ==-installationDirectory "C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServe
                r" -acceptLicense
                ERROR:
                {IM install directory}/tools/imcl:
                Problem in command line: -toolId imcl -accessRights admin -silent com.ibm.websph
                ere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80 -repositories E:\Miscellaneous\My Documents\Softwares\IBM\
                Portal\Portal Fixpacks\8.0.0-WP-Server-FP001\WP8001_Server\repository.config -pr
                operties user.wp.portal.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=wpsadmin,use
                r.wp.portal.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcdY47EfxLYarBAIx
                eQ==,user.wp.was.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=wpsadmin,user.wp.wa
                s.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcdY47EfxLYarBAIxeQ==-insta
                llationDirectory C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer -acceptLicens
                e
                Unrecognized command line argument "com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80".

Use "help" command for information about available commands.
                00:00.67 ERROR main com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.application.HeadlessApplication
                run

{IM install directory}/tools/imcl:
                Problem in command line: -toolId imcl -accessRights admin -silent com.ibm.webs
                phere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80 -repositories E:\Miscellaneous\My Documents\Softwares\IB
                M\Portal\Portal Fixpacks\8.0.0-WP-Server-FP001\WP8001_Server\repository.config -
                properties user.wp.portal.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=wpsadmin,u
                ser.wp.portal.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcdY47EfxLYarBA
                IxeQ==,user.wp.was.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=wpsadmin,user.wp.
                was.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcdY47EfxLYarBAIxeQ==-ins
                tallationDirectory C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer -acceptLice
                nse
                Unrecognized command line argument "com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80".

Use "help" command for information about available commands.

C:\>
                • httweed
                  httweed
                  510 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-08T12:52:55Z  in response to Thakhani
                  Ok, the problem from the Config logs is the derby.DbLibrary path in wkplc_dbtype.properties:

derby.DbLibrary=C:/Program Files (x86)/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/derby/lib/derby.jar

Can you edit the wp_profile/ConfigEngine/properties/wkplc_dbtype.properties file and put quotes around that path?

derby.DbLibrary="C:/Program Files (x86)/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/derby/lib/derby.jar"
                  For the command line error, you are missing the "install" command. It should come right after imcl.exe:

C:\>"E:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Installation Manager\eclipse\tools\imcl.exe" install com
                  .ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80 -repositories "E:\Miscellaneous\My Documents\So
                  ftwares\IBM\Portal\Portal Fixpacks\8.0.0-WP-Server-FP001\WP8001_Server\repositor
                  y.config" -properties user.wp.portal.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v8
                  0=wpsadmin,user.wp.portal.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcd
                  Y47EfxLYarBAIxeQ==,user.wp.was.userid,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=wpsad
                  min,user.wp.was.password,,com.ibm.websphere.PORTAL.SERVER.v80=fufgZbcdY47EfxLYar
                  BAIxeQ==-installationDirectory "C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServe
                  r" -acceptLicense

~HT
                  • Thakhani
                    Thakhani
                    9 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-08T17:30:21Z  in response to httweed
                    Fr some reason its failing with the same error after i have made those changes, Mybe i just have to re install with a path with no space? attached are the recent logs

Attachments

• Thakhani
                      Thakhani
                      9 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-09T05:08:43Z  in response to Thakhani
                      Hi, after a reinstall to C:/IBM/WebSphere as my portal root with no space i manage to update my portal using IIM, I have learned my lesson not to install portal in directories that have space. Now i am just about to install CTC 4, i did not have enaf sleep last night but i guy got to do what a guy got to do.

Thank you very much for your help
  • Vidyut
    Vidyut
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-29T11:31:59Z  in response to krauseke

I'm trying to upgrade to Fixpack 1 and for me its failing at post-install-configure step. I have tried the upgrade with and without forced credentials validations, but it failed in both the cases. Does not seems like anything similar to Thakhani or krauseke. I'm attaching the ConfigTrace.log and other logs form the same location. Please help.

Attachments

• alle
      alle
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-30T15:16:56Z  in response to Vidyut

The failure is likely because portal server is not running, can you make sure if portal is running and it started cleanly. Post SystemOut.log for review.

Vasanth

PS: The postings on this site are my opinions and do not necessarily align with IBM's stance or strategies on the subject.

• Vidyut
        Vidyut
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-01T11:56:11Z  in response to alle

You are right, portal did not started, but it has started happening only after I tried to upgrade to FP1. I'm attaching SystemOut.log for your review.

-Vidyut

Attachments

• alle
          alle
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-01T19:51:19Z  in response to Vidyut

From the exception in SystemOut.log:

[5/1/13 17:18:48:947 IST] 0000000b Servlet       E com.ibm.wps.engine.Servlet init EJPFD0016E: Initialization of service failed.

com.ibm.wps.state.services.exceptions.PortletStateManagerServiceInitException: EJPEI0117E: The portlet state manager cannot be initialized from the following preferences: [System Preference Node: /].
          at com.ibm.wps.services.state.WPPortletStateManagerService.init(WPPortletStateManagerService.java:227)
          Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ibm.portal.state.accessors.deviceclass.DeviceClassAccessorFactory

It could be that the wp.model.api.jar, which this class belongs to is missing or corrupted. Do you have another WP 8.0.0.1 system where you can get this jar file from? Place this file in <WP_HOME>/base/wp.model.api/shared/app and retry the upgrade.

PS: The postings on this site are my opinions and do not necessarily align with IBM's stance or strategies on the subject.
          • Francisco_Pepe
            Francisco_Pepe
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-13T19:24:34Z  in response to alle

Just in case someone else has this same problem, I had it after some failing update to 8001.

As detailed here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21640838 , the cause was a property that is added during the fix pack install exists prior to starting the upgrade. This can happen after a failed upgrade performs an incomplete rollback, or if a secondary node is synced after the Primary node has been upgraded.

After deleting property com.ibm.wps.services.state.WPPortletStateManagerService.accessorFactory.11 from REP "WP PortletServiceRegistryService" my Portal started up clean, without the PortletStateManagerServiceInitException.

I have retried the update and the Validate credentials worked good.

• 3NGD_Eugene_du_Plooy
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-07T12:03:26Z  in response to krauseke

Hi all

As a side note to this issue, I received the same general problem (my update failed when trying to save the configuration during the post install phase - ConfigTask CONFIG-WP-PTF-CF failed, and pointed at a possible problem with my admin credentials), check that you have sufficient temp space available. My /tmp was full and went unnoticed and unreported during the update process.

After noticing the problem and clearing the /tmp space after the 4th failed update attempt, everything updated smoothly (using the same credentials and IIM config file)