Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-06T17:08:23Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
225 Posts

Pinned topic WDSC 7.0.0 Lpex editor horizontally shifts certain lines of code

‏2013-02-05T17:49:42Z |
Hi folks.....When I load an RPG source member to the editor, it is horizontally shifting certain lines of code in the workspace display and it appears it has something to do with the use of coloring or highlighting effects in the native code on the iSeries machine. Is there a way to prevent this from occurring? I’m not sure which of the preferences to tweak. An earlier version I had been using would show a special box-like special character in the prefix area and kept the alignment intact. This is not the case for me now.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Updated on 2013-02-06T17:08:23Z at 2013-02-06T17:08:23Z by SystemAdmin
  • Bob Genis
    Bob Genis
    18 Posts

Re: WDSC 7.0.0 Lpex editor horizontally shifts certain lines of code

‏2013-02-06T03:12:34Z  
    When lines are colored in SEU, they put a hex control character somewhere on the line. In SEU, you can use <cntrl>F8 to see the hex values.

In RDP, these control characters are ignored (consumed?) and it shifts the line to the left on the display. If you <space> starting at the very left margin, you will eventually clear the control character and your line will magically shift back. Of course, after you save it, the line will no longer be colored in SEU.

It's just a display thing, though. The lines still compile even with the shift.
  • eric.simpson
    eric.simpson
    104 Posts

‏2013-02-06T12:18:24Z  
    • Bob Genis
    • ‏2013-02-06T03:12:34Z
    When lines are colored in SEU, they put a hex control character somewhere on the line. In SEU, you can use <cntrl>F8 to see the hex values.

In RDP, these control characters are ignored (consumed?) and it shifts the line to the left on the display. If you <space> starting at the very left margin, you will eventually clear the control character and your line will magically shift back. Of course, after you save it, the line will no longer be colored in SEU.

It's just a display thing, though. The lines still compile even with the shift.
    This is a snippet from the current RD Power readme that seems related to the issue:

A number of hex code characters that represent 5250 display attributes are commonly inserted into comment lines of source members. These characters would usually be rendered by client operating systems as a square box or other special symbol. In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, the operating system no longer renders many control characters, including the hex codes for 5250 display attributes. Instead of a square box, a zero width character is rendered by the operating system, which is invisible. This causes the remainder of the text on the comment line to appear shifted over by one column to the left in Remote Systems LPEX Editor.
    This does not affect compilation of the source, as the hex code characters are still being maintained and saved. However, the source will appear as if it is not lined up with the column rulers.
    The operating system controls how characters are rendered and displayed in all applications, including Remote Systems LPEX Editor. As long as the underlying operating system does not support rendering of these characters, Remote Systems LPEX Editor will not support them.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    225 Posts

‏2013-02-06T17:08:23Z  
    Thanks for the information folks. Guess I'll just have to get used to this little WDSC 7/ Windows 7 quirk