Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-20T17:19:00Z by SystemAdmin
human_rebody
human_rebody
17 Posts

Pinned topic How to reduce the memory% in system usage page?

‏2013-02-05T14:56:44Z |
Hi all,

I have a DataPower XI50 box. Found the box is always using 90% memory in the system usage. Previously I think the root cause is the logging level = debug in all the domain(I got 5 domains in the box). However, it didn't improve after I set the logging level to 'error'. Is it anything I need to check? Please advise. Thanks.

Regards,
Thomas
Updated on 2013-02-20T17:19:00Z at 2013-02-20T17:19:00Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

Re: How to reduce the memory% in system usage page?

‏2013-02-05T15:59:44Z  
    Thomas,
    The things you need see when you see the mem spikes? Is any particular time? Any service is down? things like QM,backend etc etc..
  • human_rebody
    human_rebody
    17 Posts

‏2013-02-06T00:38:49Z  
    Thomas,
    The things you need see when you see the mem spikes? Is any particular time? Any service is down? things like QM,backend etc etc..
    Hi Kumar,

Sometimes I believe there were some load test executed several times before. However, I checked the memory usage in non peak hour but it still keep 90% usage in the memory. Will it be caused by the syslog? We have 5 domains and each domain will write the log to a syslog server with debug logging level...

Regards,
    Thomas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-02-06T00:59:24Z  
    Hi Kumar,

Sometimes I believe there were some load test executed several times before. However, I checked the memory usage in non peak hour but it still keep 90% usage in the memory. Will it be caused by the syslog? We have 5 domains and each domain will write the log to a syslog server with debug logging level...

Regards,
    Thomas
    > human_rebody wrote:
    > Hi Kumar,
    >
    > Sometimes I believe there were some load test executed several times before. However, I checked the memory usage in non peak hour but it still keep 90% usage in the memory. Will it be caused by the syslog? We have 5 domains and each domain will write the log to a syslog server with debug logging level...

Hi Thomas,

I doubt it is due to syslog settings. You can check through SNPM traps when Memory is raising? Was there any changes or deployment in the appliance? For how long memory is staying at 90% does it any time settled at low value?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-02-06T01:01:09Z  
    Hi Kumar,

Regards,
    Thomas
    Also what firmware are you running on?
  • Doyler86
    Doyler86
    91 Posts

‏2013-02-07T15:12:05Z  
    Hi Kumar,

Regards,
    Thomas
    Hey Thomas,

Are you using the show mem, Show Load, or Web GUI to view your memory status?
  • human_rebody
    human_rebody
    17 Posts

‏2013-02-20T03:45:01Z  
    • Doyler86
    • ‏2013-02-07T15:12:05Z
    Hey Thomas,

Are you using the show mem, Show Load, or Web GUI to view your memory status?
    Hi Doyler,

I used both. Thanks.

Regards,
    Thomas
  • human_rebody
    human_rebody
    17 Posts

‏2013-02-20T03:45:43Z  
    Also what firmware are you running on?
    Hi Kumar,

It is 3.8.2.1. Thanks.

Regards,
    Thomas
  • msmps
    msmps
    219 Posts

‏2013-02-20T11:15:20Z  
    Hi Kumar,

It is 3.8.2.1. Thanks.

Regards,
    Thomas
    we also have memory leaks where memory climbs up and then causes transactions to fail
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-02-20T17:17:46Z  
    Hi Kumar,

It is 3.8.2.1. Thanks.

Regards,
    Thomas
    > human_rebody wrote:
    > Hi Kumar,
    >
    > It is 3.8.2.1. Thanks.

Not sure why you are on 3.8.x still but did you try to reload the appliance and see if memory went down?
    If not than I am afraid you need to open the PMR.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-02-20T17:19:00Z  
    • msmps
    • ‏2013-02-20T11:15:20Z
    we also have memory leaks where memory climbs up and then causes transactions to fail
    "we also have memory leaks where memory climbs up and then causes transactions to fail"

What firmware you are running in? Did the appliance crash due to OOM?