• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-07T20:17:00Z by JMW98
MJonker
MJonker
140 Posts

Pinned topic Question about Managed Pages syndication and XML Access

‏2013-02-05T12:57:27Z |
Hi,

Now that we can use managed pages to manage pages in WCM and thus apply workflow to portalpages, what is the relationship with syndication and XML Access.

I understand that all WCM items will be syndicated to the subscriber, but does this also mean that the portal pages are created/updated in this process ?
And would the result be that we no longer need XML Access to transport portal pages between environments ?

If this route is supposed to work, what would be best practise to create virtual portals that use the library "Portal Site" --> First time syndication requires the destination library not to be there already ?
Updated on 2013-02-07T20:17:00Z at 2013-02-07T20:17:00Z by JMW98
  • JMW98
    JMW98
    1097 Posts

Re: Question about Managed Pages syndication and XML Access

‏2013-02-05T17:29:44Z  
    Yes, you should be able to replace XMLAccess with Syndication and "Portal Site" is the library that relates to Managed Pages. The tricky part will be preparing the target system for the initial syndication. PAA should do this, but the InfoCenter section describing this process could use some improvement. To my knowledge, no best practices are published yet. When I ran through this in my lab, I did have to manually delete the target libraries prior to the first syndication.
  • MJonker
    MJonker
    140 Posts

‏2013-02-07T13:56:03Z  
    • JMW98
    • ‏2013-02-05T17:29:44Z
    Yes, you should be able to replace XMLAccess with Syndication and "Portal Site" is the library that relates to Managed Pages. The tricky part will be preparing the target system for the initial syndication. PAA should do this, but the InfoCenter section describing this process could use some improvement. To my knowledge, no best practices are published yet. When I ran through this in my lab, I did have to manually delete the target libraries prior to the first syndication.
    Thanks for the confirmation !
  • MJonker
    MJonker
    140 Posts

‏2013-02-07T13:59:49Z  
    Remaining (different) question is: can I have 1 design library on Portal Root level and refer to it from Virtual Portals ?
  • JMW98
    JMW98
    1097 Posts

‏2013-02-07T20:17:00Z  
    • MJonker
    • ‏2013-02-07T13:59:49Z
    Remaining (different) question is: can I have 1 design library on Portal Root level and refer to it from Virtual Portals ?
    No - with Managed Pages, content libraries are scoped to virtual portals:

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/portalwiki.nsf/dx/Separating_and_sharing_resources_between_virtual_portals_wp8

Disabling Managed Pages would revert to the old behavior, but would prevent you from replacing syndication with XMLAccess.