Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-06T07:25:23Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1959 Posts

Pinned topic New Cognos BI 10.2 user learning to install samples, need help

‏2013-02-05T06:23:11Z |
Hi - was just trying to install the BI 10.2 sample cubes and have an error that I can't seem to figure out when I try to publish the samples...
I get this error: "The data source great_outdoors_warehouse does not have physical metadata associated with it. The data source needs to be refreshed."

According to the install guide, I need to change the values of the data source properties to "match your connection". I've tried everything (again I'm new to this so this might be a very stupid question).

Here is my connection parameters:
Name: great_outdoors_warehouse
Content Manager Data Source: great_outdoors_warehouse
Catalog: GOSALESDW
Schema: gosalesdw

I am actually able to use the great_outdoors_warehouse samples in the report studio, etc... but when I even try to just manually get metadata from within the cube designer, I just get this error when I try to click on the sample databases: "InvalidConnectionString". I suspect there is something wrong underneath how I connect to the database from the non server programs like cube designer because again, when I am using the portal applications, there aren't issues getting into the sample databases.

My installation is on a single computer (windows 7) with Cognos BI 10.2 and MS SQL 2008 as the content database. Everything else works.

I am using anonymous login for now so don't have users defined... as this is my "sandbox" for testing.

Any comments or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Updated on 2013-02-06T07:25:23Z at 2013-02-06T07:25:23Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

Re: New Cognos BI 10.2 user learning to install samples, need help

‏2013-02-05T06:25:46Z  
    oops I'm using SQL 2005 as the database, not 2008. thanks.
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-02-05T13:02:46Z  
    The cube designer is used against Dynamic cubes and it has its own samples.

See:
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r2m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ig_rolap.10.2.0.doc%2FC_ig_rolap_sample_setup.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-06T05:28:58Z  
    The cube designer is used against Dynamic cubes and it has its own samples.

See:
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r2m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ig_rolap.10.2.0.doc%2FC_ig_rolap_sample_setup.html
    Thanks I'll look into that - I believe I installed the separate cube samples... but you might be right. I'll find out.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1959 Posts

‏2013-02-06T07:25:23Z  
    Thanks I'll look into that - I believe I installed the separate cube samples... but you might be right. I'll find out.
    Ok fixed it. IN case anyone ever has this issue, I had to enabled JDBC - but to do that, I had to follow this after installing JDBC on SQL, etc...
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21584451