Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-13T17:10:44Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
4779 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Need Help with DS 3200 Storage - First unresponsive, now it's not there!

‏2013-02-04T20:49:40Z |
Hi,

I'm posting this here in hopes that someone can assist me. I'm a remote sys admin and have little experience with storage devices.

I have an array that is attached to a windows server 2003 IBM server via SAS. Previously this was working find and the drives were available to three machines in a cluster.
I opened storage manager 10 in an attempt to manage a separate storage subsystem, but click on this one by accident. After I realized that I was working with the wrong storage array, I closed it and reopened. At this point, Storage manager showed the subsystem as unresponsive and I tried but couldn't get it to respond. I removed the subsystem and attempted to automatically discover it. Now it doesn't find it. I can't add it manually either - inbound says there are no storage subsystems attached to this server. I know the cables are good and they are connected properly.

I'm not onsite at the data center but I have someone there who has been assisting me in his spare time.

I have tried running hot_add and restarting the agent but still can't find it.
I have tried running smdevices.bat and it shows no devices.
Out of bound management doesn't work either, I think the IP settings aren't configured??

Again, I don't have much experience with storage and not having physical access is making this more difficult. If anyone can help me out, please do as I am getting desperate :).
Thanks!
Updated on 2013-02-13T17:10:44Z at 2013-02-13T17:10:44Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Help with DS 3200 Storage - First unresponsive, now it's not there!

‏2013-02-04T21:25:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I think the issue may be that I deleted the access logical drive (LUN 31). Is there anyway to add this back. I can't access the array physically or via IP.

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5075711

In the above article, I can see the commands to enter to add them back, but where do I enter these. Does it require that I can telnet into the device? Please help!!! :)
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      4779 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Help with DS 3200 Storage - First unresponsive, now it's not there!

‏2013-02-13T17:10:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi tdagger,

Here's a helpful bump to hopefully solving this issue. We have also been experiencing the same problem with two of our Subsystems going "Unresponsive" in DS Manager. Have you done any firmware upgrades to your unit recently?

If you're running SAN commands you'll have to either telnet to the IP or hook up a console to the back of the unit via Hyper Term. It also depends on what exactly you are looking to do. For instance, a "reBoot" command will only work when you have physical console access through HT. Hope this helps.