• 22 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-25T11:50:56Z by ssarapuri
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
41 Posts

Pinned topic IBM Content Navigator Mobile & IBM Content Navigator Plugins

‏2013-02-04T17:06:34Z |
Hello,
I was describing the features of ICN Mobile to a customer earlier today, and a question came up which I didn't really know the answer to.
The customer has a quite deeply customized ICN, with action plugins, response filter plugins, and such.
The question was wether the filter plugins are taken into any account by the Mobile ICN app, or if visibility of resources in the mobile app relies solely on the security that has been set within the repository.
The doubt comes from the fact that the mobile app requires the URL of the ICN deployed on the aplication server in order to connect, even if I believe that the rest of the mobile app features are independent from the web ICN customizations.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Updated on 2013-03-01T08:58:45Z at 2013-03-01T08:58:45Z by SystemAdmin
  • damorris
    damorris
    27 Posts

Re: IBM Content Navigator Mobile & IBM Content Navigator Plugins

‏2013-02-04T18:42:58Z  
    Hi,

The mobile app does not currently take in to account other plugins. The mobile app configuration is specified on the desktop in the ICN administration. On that panel the administrator can specify what features and actions are available to the mobile app when it's connected to that desktop.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-05T09:07:05Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-02-04T18:42:58Z
    Hi,

The mobile app does not currently take in to account other plugins. The mobile app configuration is specified on the desktop in the ICN administration. On that panel the administrator can specify what features and actions are available to the mobile app when it's connected to that desktop.
    Thanks for your answer, damorris.
    By saying that it does not "currently" take other plugins into account, do you mean that it is somehow planned as a future feature?
    The response filter plugins strike me as the most important kind to be taken into consideration, as they can prevent the user from seeing certain documents even if ACLs would allow him to (this can be useful to avoid a hyper-complex security model, or for other business purposes), and it would be great to have the mobile app in line with this behavior.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-05T10:23:29Z  
    Thanks for your answer, damorris.
    By saying that it does not "currently" take other plugins into account, do you mean that it is somehow planned as a future feature?
    The response filter plugins strike me as the most important kind to be taken into consideration, as they can prevent the user from seeing certain documents even if ACLs would allow him to (this can be useful to avoid a hyper-complex security model, or for other business purposes), and it would be great to have the mobile app in line with this behavior.
    I was wondering on something slightly different...
    How does the mobile app connect to and interact with repositories? Does it rely on the very same engine and connectors the ICN web application uses? Meaning, the same underlying Java classes?
  • bemorris
    bemorris
    1 Post

‏2013-02-05T15:11:16Z  
    I was wondering on something slightly different...
    How does the mobile app connect to and interact with repositories? Does it rely on the very same engine and connectors the ICN web application uses? Meaning, the same underlying Java classes?
    Yes, the mobile application leverages the same mid-tier as the web application, so it would receive the same manipulated JSON (via a plugin response filter) as the web application. Therefore if you simply changed a value of a field it would appear in the mobile application. However, if your response filter is providing a more advanced customization, such as specifying a custom decorator or cell widget to use for a particular column, it would not be reflected in the mobile application.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-05T16:58:24Z  
    • bemorris
    • ‏2013-02-05T15:11:16Z
    Yes, the mobile application leverages the same mid-tier as the web application, so it would receive the same manipulated JSON (via a plugin response filter) as the web application. Therefore if you simply changed a value of a field it would appear in the mobile application. However, if your response filter is providing a more advanced customization, such as specifying a custom decorator or cell widget to use for a particular column, it would not be reflected in the mobile application.
    So, if I understand this correctly, this answer somehow overrides yesterday's answer where I was told that the mobile app doesn't take plugins into consideration?
    Let's say that my response filter plugin performed checks on the logged on user against a DB and, based on the results, filtered out some documents from a search result set by removing them from the JSON response object.
    Would the mobile app reflect this, by showing the filtered JSON response object, and not the complete list of documents ICN would return if no response filter plugin was defined?
  • damorris
    damorris
    27 Posts

‏2013-02-05T17:14:36Z  
    So, if I understand this correctly, this answer somehow overrides yesterday's answer where I was told that the mobile app doesn't take plugins into consideration?
    Let's say that my response filter plugin performed checks on the logged on user against a DB and, based on the results, filtered out some documents from a search result set by removing them from the JSON response object.
    Would the mobile app reflect this, by showing the filtered JSON response object, and not the complete list of documents ICN would return if no response filter plugin was defined?
    It doesn't contradict, merely clarifies. In general, there are many things that plugins provide that will not be reflected on the mobile device. For example, the ICA plugin, or custom viewer plugins, or the Enterprise Records declare plugin, etc. Brett clarified that request / response filters are somewhat different since that aspect of the plugin is altering the content that is returned for a given request - since the requests from the mobile application come through the same request / response pipeline as the standard web application, then many things you'd change in the request / response would reflect on the mobile application.

So, to your question below, yes, the response filter would apply and the results returned to the mobile app would only show the list of documents expected based on the logic of the response filter.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-14T08:34:07Z  
    Hello all,
    I'am using this app with Content Navigator 2.0.0. This work fine, but you cannot use the datacap link in this app.
    So I upgrade Content Navigator to 2.0.1. After this I cannot browse anymore with this app. Whats going wrong? The icons are not display-ed and when I tab on browse, I got a whit screen and no error.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-14T09:25:32Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-02-05T17:14:36Z
    It doesn't contradict, merely clarifies. In general, there are many things that plugins provide that will not be reflected on the mobile device. For example, the ICA plugin, or custom viewer plugins, or the Enterprise Records declare plugin, etc. Brett clarified that request / response filters are somewhat different since that aspect of the plugin is altering the content that is returned for a given request - since the requests from the mobile application come through the same request / response pipeline as the standard web application, then many things you'd change in the request / response would reflect on the mobile application.

So, to your question below, yes, the response filter would apply and the results returned to the mobile app would only show the list of documents expected based on the logic of the response filter.
    Thank you for your reply, Dana, I have made some tests, and Response Plugins definitely work also within the mobile app, so this brings me a step forward to making the customer use it in their production environment.

One of the customer's requirements is that mobile users should NOT be allowed to open documents in other applications, or save documents (like saving photos to camera roll, emailing documents, etc...). I have noticed that there is a setting in the administration section of the web ICN application specifically to disable this function, but it appears that the mobile app totally ignores changes of this setting. The only settings that have an effect are the one that completely disables mobile interaction with the desktop, and the one that allows the admin to choose which features to show in the mobile app.

Also, the customer is asking whether it will be possible, in one of the next releases, to integrate the sign-on process with user certificates installed on the mobile device, so that the user can avoid entering credentials altogether, rather than using the "remember me" functionality.

Overall, the customer was very positively impressed by the app's usability and straightforwardness, and the only mandatory feature needed at the moment is the proper working of the "open in" limitation.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-14T11:27:37Z  
    Hello all,
    I'am using this app with Content Navigator 2.0.0. This work fine, but you cannot use the datacap link in this app.
    So I upgrade Content Navigator to 2.0.1. After this I cannot browse anymore with this app. Whats going wrong? The icons are not display-ed and when I tab on browse, I got a whit screen and no error.
    Hello CvdP,
    There are two scenarios I can think of where you might see this:
    1) You have to use the latest version of the App (delete it and redownload from the App Store) with the 2.0.1 Server...you can't use the 2.0 version of the App with the 2.0.1 server, this exact thing you describe will happen.
    2) You cannot have non-English characters or words in your desktop that you use on Mobile (sorry, we are working on that), likewise, can cause these problems.

Hopefully one of those two things solves it for you.

Best,

Ian Story
    Senior Product Manager, IBM Content Navigator
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-15T12:20:18Z  
    Hello CvdP,
    1) You have to use the latest version of the App (delete it and redownload from the App Store) with the 2.0.1 Server...you can't use the 2.0 version of the App with the 2.0.1 server, this exact thing you describe will happen.
    2) You cannot have non-English characters or words in your desktop that you use on Mobile (sorry, we are working on that), likewise, can cause these problems.

Best,

Ian Story
    Hello iStory,

Thanks for your responce. My desktop are not english, how can I change this to english?

I've remove and install the app many times, but no result.

Best,
    CVDP
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-15T12:49:39Z  
    Hello iStory,

Thanks for your responce. My desktop are not english, how can I change this to english?

I've remove and install the app many times, but no result.

Best,
    CVDP
    Hello Ian,

I solved it. Change some settings in the database and it Works.
    Thanks for your help.

Best
    CvdP
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-15T15:52:34Z  
    Hello Ian,

I solved it. Change some settings in the database and it Works.
    Thanks for your help.

Best
    CvdP
    Great, glad it's fixed; sorry that we didn't have a descriptive error at least for this case, if not support of non-English desktops and such. We'll try to address soon in the product. Best, Ian.
  • damorris
    damorris
    27 Posts

‏2013-02-15T18:21:34Z  
    Thank you for your reply, Dana, I have made some tests, and Response Plugins definitely work also within the mobile app, so this brings me a step forward to making the customer use it in their production environment.

One of the customer's requirements is that mobile users should NOT be allowed to open documents in other applications, or save documents (like saving photos to camera roll, emailing documents, etc...). I have noticed that there is a setting in the administration section of the web ICN application specifically to disable this function, but it appears that the mobile app totally ignores changes of this setting. The only settings that have an effect are the one that completely disables mobile interaction with the desktop, and the one that allows the admin to choose which features to show in the mobile app.

Also, the customer is asking whether it will be possible, in one of the next releases, to integrate the sign-on process with user certificates installed on the mobile device, so that the user can avoid entering credentials altogether, rather than using the "remember me" functionality.

Overall, the customer was very positively impressed by the app's usability and straightforwardness, and the only mandatory feature needed at the moment is the proper working of the "open in" limitation.
    Hi Alessandro,

On the admin settings, I'll ask someone to test those again and if they are not working properly we'll try to get a fix out.

On the question about certificates, I'm not sure that would be possible. It would require that the repositories themselves also support such an authentication method. We'll add it to our list to at least discuss and consider.

Thanks,
    Dana
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-15T18:43:14Z  
    Great, glad it's fixed; sorry that we didn't have a descriptive error at least for this case, if not support of non-English desktops and such. We'll try to address soon in the product. Best, Ian.
    Hello Ian,

I question about the Datacap url. How do I configure this url. Is there documentatie about it?

I configure it, but when I save a foto, the app goes away

Best,
    CvdP
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-15T18:43:16Z  
    Hello Ian,

I question about the Datacap url. How do I configure this url. Is there documentatie about it?

Best,
    CvdP
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-15T19:07:03Z  
    Hello Ian,

Best,
    CvdP
    To configure Datacap, you must be on the latest version (with the web services interface), and then you point the configuration (in the admin ui) at http://<datacap_server_ip_address>:<port_you_use_for_web_services>. Of course, the Datacap server must be reachable via your device...the default port is 88, I believe, for the web services. The last bit is you have to have Datacap Flex setup (as that is the ONLY choice you have at the moment with the mobile app), and you should consult the Datacap docs on that first. My advice is to make sure you have the latest version and patches, setup Flex, test that you can access the server from your device (just hit its IP address in safari and see if you get the login screen) and then configure it as described above in the app with the right port to the web services for Datacap (however you have it configured). Good luck!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

Re: IBM Content Navigator Mobile &#38; IBM Content Navigator Plugins

‏2013-02-17T11:16:24Z  
    Hello Ian,

Best,
    CvdP
    Hi,

My name is Eduard and I'm on the IBM Contact Navigator Mobile team.
    Can you please send answers to the following questions to my mail address: eduardb@il.ibm.com
    The information will assist us in investigating the issue:

1 - Which version of the IBM Content Navigator server are you using ( 2.0, 2.0.1 ...)?
    2 - Which exact URL are you using including the desktop (if applicable)?
    Can you please provide a screen capture of the ICN Admin UI where the Datacap URL icon is defined?
    3 - Which device are you using (iPad, iPhone) and which version of iOS are you using?
    4 - Is this server located in an IBM environment? If so, can you please send me the credentials for accessing it?

Thank you very much!
    Eduard
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-02-17T18:27:27Z  
    Hi,

My name is Eduard and I'm on the IBM Contact Navigator Mobile team.
    Can you please send answers to the following questions to my mail address: eduardb@il.ibm.com
    The information will assist us in investigating the issue:

1 - Which version of the IBM Content Navigator server are you using ( 2.0, 2.0.1 ...)?
    2 - Which exact URL are you using including the desktop (if applicable)?
    Can you please provide a screen capture of the ICN Admin UI where the Datacap URL icon is defined?
    3 - Which device are you using (iPad, iPhone) and which version of iOS are you using?
    4 - Is this server located in an IBM environment? If so, can you please send me the credentials for accessing it?

Thank you very much!
    Eduard
    Hello Edward,

Tomorrow I send you the details. Is the app hardcode to look for the datacap application name Flex, or could this also a other name.

My datacap app has at this moment an other name, so tomorrow should test this with a datacap application name Flex.

Best
    Cor
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    41 Posts

‏2013-03-01T08:58:45Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-02-15T18:21:34Z
    Hi Alessandro,

On the admin settings, I'll ask someone to test those again and if they are not working properly we'll try to get a fix out.

On the question about certificates, I'm not sure that would be possible. It would require that the repositories themselves also support such an authentication method. We'll add it to our list to at least discuss and consider.

Thanks,
    Dana
    Thank you Dana,
    having the setting that disables the "open in" functionality working properly is the last requirement to having the customer adopt our mobile app as their solution (whereas the certificate issue is more of a "nice-to-have"), so I will wait for your answer/fix about this.

Alessandro
  • Alessandro.Damiani
    Alessandro.Damiani
    3 Posts

‏2013-04-24T14:51:55Z  
    Thank you Dana,
    having the setting that disables the "open in" functionality working properly is the last requirement to having the customer adopt our mobile app as their solution (whereas the certificate issue is more of a "nice-to-have"), so I will wait for your answer/fix about this.

Alessandro

Hello Dana,

I was wondering if there is any prediction date as to when the new release of the iOS app will be available... This "open in" settings problem is currently blocking use of the app by the customer.

I also opened a PMR about it, which was closed after learning a new release of the iOS app would be available soon (the PMR mentioned april). The customer is asking us how far the app is from being available...

• Alessandro.Damiani
    Alessandro.Damiani
    3 Posts

‏2013-05-30T10:13:10Z  

Hello Dana,

I was wondering if there is any prediction date as to when the new release of the iOS app will be available... This "open in" settings problem is currently blocking use of the app by the customer.

I also opened a PMR about it, which was closed after learning a new release of the iOS app would be available soon (the PMR mentioned april). The customer is asking us how far the app is from being available...

An update just to say that the new release of the iOS app has just been released, and it solves the "Open In" issue.

Thank you guys, great job!

• ssarapuri
    ssarapuri
    2 Posts

‏2013-06-25T11:50:56Z  
    Hello CvdP,

Best,

Ian Story

Hi Ian,

I have followed the above steps.

Got ICN 2.0.1 and iPAD app 2.0.1 installed..

I'm able to log into ICN and while saving the snap(photo) in datacap butoon I'm getting the Datacap Server connection error:

wTM in IIS is running on 78 port and same has been configured in ICN->Mobile->Datacap URL.

While saving the photo I get an error "Not able to connect to Datacap Server, Verify the Datacap IP Address and status" .

I'm able to ping the datacap wTM server from iPAD and also able to run the /ServicewTM.svc/help. BUT can't connect to the Datacap through ICN App.

Is their any other configuraiton need to be done for the ICN. Please let me know asap.

Cheers,

Suresh.